PDA

View Full Version : What do you all recommend for saddle bags/carrying spares, multi-tools, etc.?

hoj
08-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Looking to buy a different saddle bag than the typical velcro/zipper bag I've had for the last 5-6 years, and want to know what you all recommend. Preferably something that's small and/or hides well under the seatpost. Can't stand the look of a big saddle bag hanging off the rear of my bike.

I like the idea of the seat rolls that silca and others have come out with recently. Anyone have any feedback on these? Any particular brands you can recommend?

What about the ones that stow away in a spare water bottle cage (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Bike-Bottle-Storage/dp/B00KZ858LS)? I rarely have time anymore for rides longer than a couple hours, so I rarely need both cages for water/drinks. Anyone have experience with these?

Any other (better) alternatives out there? Thanks

bikinchris
08-16-2016, 04:44 PM
The rule of a saddle bag is simple:

No matter what size bag you have, it will always be full.

Figure out what is the minimum you want to carry.

hoj
08-16-2016, 04:49 PM
The rule of a saddle bag is simple:

No matter what size bag you have, it will always be full.

Figure out what is the minimum you want to carry.

Haha good rule. I mainly carry a spare tube, CO2 cartridge and air chuck, and a couple tire levers. Rarely carry anything else.

txcid05
08-16-2016, 04:52 PM
This: http://www.speedsleev.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Black-Seatsleev-600x640.png

Just got myself one and absolutely love it. For the organization, the weight, and of course the appearance. :D

www.speedsleev.com

Edit: My Speedsleev on my 'Rotta.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpsN-QiVMAADJeX.jpg:large

Tony T
08-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I use the Lezyne S-Caddy. Hold one tube and has room for a few tools.

richspeeds
08-16-2016, 05:04 PM
I've been running my Yanco & Tracko Ramblin' Roll for awhile now and it's held everything in securely. Same brand as the Silca x Dustin Klein rolls on the Silca site. I've tested some different saddle rolls and theirs is the best. I love the way saddle rolls look on the bike, although they're not as convenient as saddle bags when you want to grab something out of it. I'm able to fit a CO2 cartridge, a tube, a small multi-tool, and some tire levers just fine.

cadence90
08-16-2016, 05:12 PM
1 Rixen & Kaul KLICKfix Micro 80 Plus Wedge + 3 KLICKfix saddle clamps.

Villgaxx
08-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Kinda like the Speed Sleevz cave-man ancestor. Maybe a literal sock to keep the sundries in. Or a rolled-up newspaper. Plastic shopping bags are water-resistant. Sort of. Rivendell used to sell a square of waxed cotton to use as a tool roll.

Jersey pocket?

ptourkin
08-16-2016, 05:15 PM
I was an early adopter of the SpeedSleev and I appreciate what he's done but it requires super diligence to keep it tight on every ride. Everyone I know has lost at least a few CO2s if not more at some point.

ripvanrando
08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
I use one of these

Not so much junk

http://www.trisports.com/xlab-rocket-pocket-xl.html?option=RED&gclid=Cj0KEQjw88q9BRDB5qLcwLXr7_sBEiQAZsGjawD8NQcs mC8qDQ0yoYGFbEIUOKhi2ELgUROquDN92qIaAr5u8P8HAQ

Lots of junk...

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/GasTank

txcid05
08-16-2016, 05:25 PM
I was an early adopter of the SpeedSleev and I appreciate what he's done but it requires super diligence to keep it tight on every ride. Everyone I know has lost at least a few CO2s if not more at some point.

I know they've had a few generations of designs. I've been on about 6 rides since purchasing and haven't noted any irregularities, but will certainly keep my eye out after reading that post. Thanks for the input!

rrudoff
08-16-2016, 05:30 PM
I like Arundel Tubi, even with clinchers, can hold one or two tubes, combo tool, CO2 if you don't carry pump, and some money, keys etc. Slim so it does not rub on your shorts and no velcro near seat post for the same reason. Simple but holds enough

rwsaunders
08-16-2016, 05:33 PM
I've tried them all including tool rolls and I went to a handlebar bag. Since my rides can range from 90 minutes to four hours, I often end up shedding arm warmers and such and your jersey pockets can only hold so much. Also, it's not uncommon to get caught out in the rain around here and a fromt bag can easily hold a vest and a jacket, along with the other essentials.

cinema
08-16-2016, 05:33 PM
love the tool rolls like yancoXtracko. that pronto looks bad ****ing ass

JeffWarner
08-16-2016, 05:40 PM
I've been running my Yanco & Tracko Ramblin' Roll for awhile now and it's held everything in securely. Same brand as the Silca x Dustin Klein rolls on the Silca site. I've tested some different saddle rolls and theirs is the best. I love the way saddle rolls look on the bike, although they're not as convenient as saddle bags when you want to grab something out of it. I'm able to fit a CO2 cartridge, a tube, a small multi-tool, and some tire levers just fine.

I'll second the Yanco Ramblin' Roll. I've had mine for a year. No rubbing on the shorts, looks great on the bike and is the perfect size for a tube + a C02 + levers + allen keys + co2 pump head.

They are hard to find, demand out stripped supply. I have heard good things about Road Runner Bag's Tool Roll and for a 1/3 of the price of the Yanco bag ... I'd give it a try.

p nut
08-16-2016, 05:43 PM
I've always liked (but never tried) the King cargo cage. I'm not sure if they make them anymore, but if you want to forego a saddle bag altogether, it's an option.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/ekmps/shops/bikemonger/images/king-cage-cargo-cage-tool-pouch-and-waterbottle-cage-3647-p[ekm]999x667[ekm].jpg

Personally, I use two: Backcountry strap on my mountain bikes(never, ever lost anything on. Straps in tight, and stays tight. Even in super chunky terrain).

http://backcountryresearch.com/

And Arundel on my road bikes.

I like the Backcountry straps, because no matter the amount of stuff, I can get it super tight, which means no rattling. Got rid of several saddle bags because of the constant rattle.

azrider
08-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Personally, I use two: Backcountry strap on my mountain bikes(never, ever lost anything on. Straps in tight, and stays tight. Even in super chunky terrain).

http://backcountryresearch.com/

And Arundel on my road bikes.

I like the Backcountry straps, because no matter the amount of stuff, I can get it super tight, which means no rattling. Got rid of several saddle bags because of the constant rattle.

I use these on all my bikes. I could have sworn when I bought mine they were called "awesome straps"..........no?

But yeah I've never had an issue with Straps and I've never lost anything.

Cameron
08-16-2016, 06:15 PM
I'll second the Yanco Ramblin' Roll.

They are hard to find, demand out stripped supply. I have heard good things about Road Runner Bag's Tool Roll and for a 1/3 of the price of the Yanco bag ... I'd give it a try.

I have both. The Yanco Ramblin' Roll is definitely nice. I prefer the RoadRunner version though. I have one of them on each bike while the Ramblin' Roll now sits on my shelf. Cheaper, more color/material choices and readily available.

Here's one of mine on my Cielo:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Fr2A3xjo1W8/V4_b1bMEzHI/AAAAAAAAKOQ/Qs7ofwKgCYk-v58KP1FqTp5z1KbFrw0MgCL0B/w1500-h899-no/IMG_7015.JPG

Another bonus is that if you have the need to carry a little more occassionally you can get lots of other different bags from RoadRunner too and it'll match. I just got this Burrito Roll from them to match the saddle roll on the same bike. Perfect for wallet, phone, snacks, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/ifr2fiN.jpg

hoj
08-16-2016, 06:48 PM
I have both. The Yanco Ramblin' Roll is definitely nice. I prefer the RoadRunner version though. I have one of them on each bike while the Ramblin' Roll now sits on my shelf. Cheaper, more color/material choices and readily available.

Another bonus is that if you have the need to carry a little more occassionally you can get lots of other different bags from RoadRunner too and it'll match. I just got this Burrito Roll from them to match the saddle roll on the same bike. Perfect for wallet, phone, snacks, etc.

Just checked out the RoadRunner saddle roll---definitely fits the bill! Looks good on that Cielo too :)

The Yanco's look nice too, but no supply, lack of color choices and 3x the price of the RoadRunner......

dustyrider
08-16-2016, 07:02 PM
I've got two road runner drafters, and an archive saddle bag. I have a road runner tool roll I'm not ever going to use again. It's green I believe and yours with a donation to the forum. I somehow managed to yardsale everything but my tube out it. I'm kinda tunnel vision when I'm riding road and need something very simple.

onsight512
08-16-2016, 07:03 PM
I've tried them all including tool rolls and I went to a handlebar bag. Since my rides can range from 90 minutes to four hours, I often end up shedding arm warmers and such and your jersey pockets can only hold so much. Also, it's not uncommon to get caught out in the rain around here and a fromt bag can easily hold a vest and a jacket, along with the other essentials.

+1. I recently put a handlebar bag on my bike and love it. I'm sold.

shovelhd
08-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Arundel Dual.

efaust_o
08-16-2016, 08:01 PM
from Jandd Mini to Arundel Uno...very minimalist, holds tube, chuck, cartridge, and levers....what more do ya need?...like it...

djg21
08-16-2016, 08:15 PM
I like Arundel Tubi, even with clinchers, can hold one or two tubes, combo tool, CO2 if you don't carry pump, and some money, keys etc. Slim so it does not rub on your shorts and no velcro near seat post for the same reason. Simple but holds enough

Arundel Dual. It fits two tubes, two 12g CO2 cartridges and a Silca inflator, a small multi-tool and a Park tire boot. It's a little tight, but everything fits and it works nicely. I like the fact that it doesn't attach to my seatpost. http://www.arundelbike.com/product-category/seat-bags/

richspeeds
08-16-2016, 08:15 PM

Here's one of mine on my Cielo:

The Roadrunner version is a good and much cheaper alternative. Great people over there and it's all made in DTLA too! Loved their first generation ones, which had a different type of strap that held the bag exceptionally well. Unfortunately, that one disappeared and I got another one. Not as nice as their original, but still held everything well. Had a couple friends who got one after they saw mine, but they've had some issues with the stitching on theirs. Seemed like their production of rolls were a bit inconsistent for awhile, but hopefully that's no longer an issue. I found the MTB version to be more practical for my road bike.

Steelman
08-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Carry a Sapo Aria minipump, spare tube, medical gloves, tire levers in standard Elite water bottle.

In the winter, use the standard Elite Byasi tool bottle to carry the above, plus one additional tube.

p nut
08-16-2016, 09:28 PM
I use these on all my bikes. I could have sworn when I bought mine they were called "awesome straps"..........no?

But yeah I've never had an issue with Straps and I've never lost anything.

Yes, originally Awesome Straps. Bought a 3 pack several years ago and they're all still in service. Good MUSA product.

R3awak3n
08-16-2016, 09:33 PM
I have had a few saddle rolls and my favorite right now is the ILE

http://48x17.com/wp-content/media/2013/02/IMG_4351.jpg

The yanco looks alright but its way overpriced, probably due to radavist fame.

Second to me would be the road runner (great company also). I also had a YNOT and it was great as well.

@Cameron: Love that damn Cielo, now GIVE me that STEM

doomridesout
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Speedsleev: The war against the saddlebag continues apace, for no god damn reason at all. You lose CO2s? Disqualified, IMO. It had one job.

buckfifty
08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Love my Arundel Dual. I can hold 2 tubes, tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, and a multi tool. Tired the Swift Industries tool roll but it wasnt really designed to hold 2 tubes and just made it too bulky and there wasn't a stabilizing loop so sometimes it would come loose

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cameron
08-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Just checked out the RoadRunner saddle roll---definitely fits the bill! Looks good on that Cielo too :)

The Yanco's look nice too, but no supply, lack of color choices and 3x the price of the RoadRunner......

Really, they're very good in my experience. I have had nothing but the best luck with Roadrunner. For me they've been perfect.

The Roadrunner version is a good and much cheaper alternative. Great people over there and it's all made in DTLA too! Loved their first generation ones, which had a different type of strap that held the bag exceptionally well. Unfortunately, that one disappeared and I got another one. Not as nice as their original, but still held everything well. Had a couple friends who got one after they saw mine, but they've had some issues with the stitching on theirs. Seemed like their production of rolls were a bit inconsistent for awhile, but hopefully that's no longer an issue. I found the MTB version to be more practical for my road bike.

All 3 of mine are perfect. Excellently made and zero issues. I know they do offer a warranty so I'd think your friends that had issues could get them taken care of?

Thanks dude! As to the stem... I am going to be swapping to a longer stem soon on the Cielo. I'm sure we could work out a deal if you want this one ;)

dustyrider
08-16-2016, 10:33 PM
I have had a few saddle rolls and my favorite right now is the ILE

Second to me would be the road runner (great company also). I also had a YNOT and it was great as well.

I think road runner makes those for ile. It's the drafter.

avalonracing
08-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Speedsleev: The war against the saddlebag continues apace, for no god damn reason at all. You lose CO2s? Disqualified, IMO. It had one job.

Well said. I don't get this whole minimalist thing and the expense of losing things and having your stuff covered in mud. Another bad solution to something that wasn't a problem (small saddle bags).

That said, I don't use them. I've been using three pocketed racing jerseys for 20 odd years. Minimal tools, a CO2, money and ID in one pocket, a tightly-wrapped tube in another and a phone in the third. No rattling, the bike still feels light and I'm always prepared.

kingpin75s
08-16-2016, 10:44 PM
+1 for Roadrunner roll and a frame pump. No noise. No movement. Tight!

2 levers, patch kit, spare tube and small multi tool w/8mm hex JIC.

Mountain size roll for anything much more than above or if for bigger tire road bike.

YesNdeed
08-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Thumbs way down (lost two bags, broke 3 clamp brackets): https://us.sciconbags.com/products/saddle-frame-bags/roller-2-1-system
Currently using:
http://www.kriegcycling.com/Mad-Monsters-bike-bag.aspx. I got as podium swag, and I love it! Doesn't rub my inner thighs, functional and stays where I put it for the long haul. That is all...

SlackMan
08-17-2016, 07:18 AM
This: http://www.speedsleev.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Black-Seatsleev-600x640.png

Just got myself one and absolutely love it. For the organization, the weight, and of course the appearance. :D

www.speedsleev.com

For the sleeve above, it sounds like it has small pockets for each item. If so, I have a question for anyone who can chime in. On most of my rides, I go through at least a bit of water on the road so that my rear tire sprays water on my saddle bag. Given that the top/back of the sleeve is open, would it be likely that water would collect and sit in the bottoms of the pockets?

sjbraun
08-17-2016, 07:39 AM
I don't know how you folks ride with only one spare tube. Here in Tucson, it's always two tubes in a saddlebag. This time of year, during our rainy season when lots of debris runs into the roadways, it's a third tube as well.

Steve- who's had the pleasure of three flats on one ride

cassa
08-17-2016, 08:31 AM
I use one of the road-version straps (http://backcountryresearch.com/camrat-road-bike-saddle-mount.html) from Backcountry Research, along with their Tube Tarp (http://backcountryresearch.com/tube-tarp-tube-protection.html) for a bit of extra protection. I fit 2 tubes side-by-side, and put 2 CO2 cartridges under the strap, which has a grippy section that helps lock things in place -- I can't see how I'd ever lose a cartridge or tube on any terrain. Lately, I'm wrapping the tubes in plastic wrap because it helps compress them to a manageable size/shape and provides more weather protection.

I put my tools in a my pocket inside one of their Tulbags (http://backcountryresearch.com/tulbag-storage.html).

I used to store all of this (tubes, tools, and CO2) in an Arundel Dual, which I really liked, but I wanted to use a seatpost-mounted rear light and found that the bag hung down and obscured the light more than I wanted. With the Backcountry Research strap, I can really get the tubes and CO2 up close to the saddle and out of the way.

MagicHour
08-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Ive thought about getting a road runner tool roll, think they look awesome, but I'm the type of person who's always paranoid about losing keys, (also phone, wallet)etc. :o
I use Jandd Tool kit bags-Mini size on my carbon bike, Regular version on my all road bike. Unsexy, but super durable and secure + no worries my keys will fall out (just as I'm riding past a sewer grate:help:) The mini is pretty minimal looking on bike.

Fatty
08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Looking to buy a different saddle bag than the typical velcro/zipper bag I've had for the last 5-6 years, and want to know what you all recommend. Preferably something that's small and/or hides well under the seatpost. Can't stand the look of a big saddle bag hanging off the rear of my bike.

I like the idea of the seat rolls that silca and others have come out with recently. Anyone have any feedback on these? Any particular brands you can recommend?

What about the ones that stow away in a spare water bottle cage (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Bike-Bottle-Storage/dp/B00KZ858LS)? I rarely have time anymore for rides longer than a couple hours, so I rarely need both cages for water/drinks. Anyone have experience with these?

Any other (better) alternatives out there? Thanks

Not trying to be snarky but if you don't like the looks of a big bag why not use a small or medium size bag?
Personally I think zippers are one of the greatest inventions ever. I use a little seat bag that came from Performance, cost a whole six bucks. Sprayed it with scotchgard. Waterproof. Nice and tight up under the saddle and goes from bike to bike in seconds.

chiasticon
08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
I don't know how you folks ride with only one spare tube. Here in Tucson, it's always two tubes in a saddlebag. This time of year, during our rainy season when lots of debris runs into the roadways, it's a third tube as well.you gotta prepare for what you're likely to encounter on a ride, not what others are. if your area is more flat-prone in general or during a certain time of year, yeah you should prolly carry two tubes and a patch kit. or if you frequently find yourself 50 miles from home with no cell coverage or nobody to call, same deal... plus maybe a chain tool, some quick links, spoke wrench, etc...

That said, I don't use them. I've been using three pocketed racing jerseys for 20 odd years. Minimal tools, a CO2, money and ID in one pocket, a tightly-wrapped tube in another and a phone in the third. No rattling, the bike still feels light and I'm always prepared.I generally prefer a frame pump, but they don't work so well with one of my bikes so I'm experimenting with co2 there. I keep trying to convince myself to only carry one cartridge, but I'm terrified of it failing (even though I've got good, non-generic, Lezyne cartridges) or of double-flatting and having to call an Uber. :(

back to the original question: for years I've preferred a frame pump on the bike and a Rapha essentials case in my pocket with the rest (tube, multitool, patch kit) in it. but it's been so hot and humid and I'm doing longer rides recently so I've given the tool roll/seatbag another shot. I'm liking this one from velocolour (http://store.velocolour.com/product/mini-tool-roll) right now. it's even more expensive than the Yanco/Tracko one (which I've also got) but it's better constructed and a bit classier looking, with the toe-strap. kind of like the Rapha tool roll (which is no longer around) but much better because it won't lose your stuff on the road for you, and it's cheaper.

ANYWAY, my advice to the OP: if you only do shorter rides, I'd just shove those things in your pockets (like avalonracing I quoted above). or go the bottle cage tool box route. those are nice and simple, and move from bike-to-bike easier than anything else.

ColonelJLloyd
08-17-2016, 08:55 AM
I have two Mark's Tool Wraps from Rivendell. I secure them with a toe strap. Probably smaller and lighter options out there, but it works well.

enr1co
08-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Arundel Dual. It fits two tubes, two 12g CO2 cartridges and a Silca inflator, a small multi-tool and a Park tire boot. It's a little tight, but everything fits and it works nicely. I like the fact that it doesn't attach to my seatpost. http://www.arundelbike.com/product-category/seat-bags/

Another endorsement for the Dual -size and attachment to saddle rails position is perfect for me.

54ny77
08-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Arundel "Dual" with 2 tubes, 2 c02's, 1 tire iron, 1 Park tire patch (if things get really bad), 1 tiny allen multi tool, 1 screw on pump head/inflator thingie.

Surprisingly unobtrusive and stays outta the way.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_20160423_125007236_HDR_zpsk0iy1pjc.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Bike/IMG_20160423_125007236_HDR_zpsk0iy1pjc.jpg.html)

R3awak3n
08-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Really, they're very good in my experience. I have had nothing but the best luck with Roadrunner. For me they've been perfect.

All 3 of mine are perfect. Excellently made and zero issues. I know they do offer a warranty so I'd think your friends that had issues could get them taken care of?

Thanks dude! As to the stem... I am going to be swapping to a longer stem soon on the Cielo. I'm sure we could work out a deal if you want this one ;)

something tells me its a 100mm, I need a 110mm. please tell me its a 110mm :D

I think road runner makes those for ile. It's the drafter.

Not surprised, they look very similar.

Cameron
08-17-2016, 10:06 AM
something tells me its a 100mm, I need a 110mm. please tell me its a 110mm :D

Even worse... 90mm :butt:

hoj
08-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Not trying to be snarky but if you don't like the looks of a big bag why not use a small or medium size bag?
Personally I think zippers are one of the greatest inventions ever. I use a little seat bag that came from Performance, cost a whole six bucks. Sprayed it with scotchgard. Waterproof. Nice and tight up under the saddle and goes from bike to bike in seconds.

No snark taken. :)

You bring up a good point. The bag I have been using thus far is an old x-lab bag, and it's actually already decently small. I definitely agree with you that a zipper is a good thing, but I hadn't seen any zipper-style bags that hid under the saddle as well as the saddle rolls appear to, hence why I was leaning more towards the roll style for my next purchase.

That being said, I did come across the Lezyne Road Caddy last night, which I am now heavily considering. Clamshell opening, and seems to sit pretty snug against the saddle. I've had good success with Lezyne products in the past, so this might be a solid option. http://www.lezyne.com/product-orgnzrs-caddys-roadcaddy.php#.V7O78ZMrLdc

Fatty
08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
No snark taken. :)

You bring up a good point. The bag I have been using thus far is an old x-lab bag, and it's actually already decently small. I definitely agree with you that a zipper is a good thing, but I hadn't seen any zipper-style bags that hid under the saddle as well as the saddle rolls appear to, hence why I was leaning more towards the roll style for my next purchase.

That being said, I did come across the Lezyne Road Caddy last night, which I am now heavily considering. Clamshell opening, and seems to sit pretty snug against the saddle. I've had good success with Lezyne products in the past, so this might be a solid option. http://www.lezyne.com/product-orgnzrs-caddys-roadcaddy.php#.V7O78ZMrLdc

That kind of favors the Conti bag / tube combo.

Can't get much tighter up against the seat than that.

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod39760_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505