PDA

View Full Version : TdF-maybe a spoiler for those Tivoing the whole race

sjbraun
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
The NYT reports today the Floyd Landis needs hip replacement surgery.

Read the article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/sports/othersports/10landiscnd.html?hp&ex=1152504000&en=d656a0465c29674b&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Then see a longer article originally scheduled for next Sunday's NYT's magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/sports/othersports/09landis-magazine.html

Floyd is freaking amazing.

Ray
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow. That sucks. Lim says he's riding at 80% - what makes him so sure he'll be BETTER after surgury. It could alleviate the pain but I'd think it could throw off his mechanics too. Sounds risky but unavoidable.

Well, I hope he can pull something big off in the next couple of weeks.

-Ray

atmo
07-09-2006, 05:35 PM
hipstrong bracelets atmo?

obtuse
07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
hipstrong bracelets atmo?

nah dude-
hipstrong garter belts. they're more practical than decorative and you know how those mennonites are about gaudiness before the lord.

obtuse

atmo
07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
nah dude-
hipstrong garter belts. they're more practical than decorative and you know how those mennonites are about gaudiness before the lord.

obtuse
color mine pink atmo.
is there anybody out there?

coylifut
07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
we are all so whack. atmo, obtuse, me all of us. i'm so cyclism cynical that the first thing i thought was la's pr corp is at work for floyd. we shot greg, gave la cancer and now floyd needs a hip. what's next? I know, what it is. next year horner's going to win the tour, but in the middle of it we'll find out he' a she.

ps. i'm diggin floyd, but tyler's clav is on my mind.

atmo
07-09-2006, 08:55 PM
we are all so whack. atmo, obtuse, me all of us. i'm so cyclism cynical that the first thing i thought was la's pr corp is at work for floyd. we shot greg, gave la cancer and now floyd needs a hip. what's next? I know, what it is. next year horner's going to win the tour, but in the middle of it we'll find out he' a she.

horner's in the hair club for men.
by the time the tour gets to paris,
he'll have dreadlocks atmo.

coylifut
07-09-2006, 09:24 PM
horner's in the hair club for men.
by the time the tour gets to paris,
he'll have dreadlocks atmo.

yeah, no other reason for mega doses of Propecia that far from home if you know what I mean.

Elefantino
07-10-2006, 05:51 AM
The UCI has, to this point, allowed cortisone shots to relieve the pain.

Theoretically, could the UCI change its mind and say that it is no longer allowed? There certainly is precedent to mind-changing when it comes to Landis and this year's Tour.

I'm sure many folks now hope Landis really throws down and beats Evans/Menchov/Kloden.

Except the French.

Ray
07-10-2006, 06:14 AM

I wasn't cynical about the injury itself - I don't think anyone would be making this stuff up. But I'm still not clear on why he chose to go public now, in the midst of what's about to become a crazy pressure cooker for him if he has a couple of good days in the mountains early. At the moment, he's the best placed of the real contenders. If he's as strong as people are saying (which always raises suspicions now, doesn't it?), he's gonna be under a lot more scrutiny soon. Did he figure he couldn't hide it then, is he setting up to write a book and needed this out there so he could write about it. Is he going for French sypmathy? Is he starting the FL foundation - he's always been hipper than LA anyway - nyuk, nyuk.

I just can't imagine a Tour contender would want to do anything to INCREASE the amount of coverage and pressure they're getting at a point like this, but maybe its so intense already that this won't change anything but the focus?

-Ray

soulspinner
07-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I wonder how he compensates for an inch difference in the two legs. I only have a centimeter and a half and I have shimmed cleats and an orthotic. An inch seems like a lot to correct. After the hip surgery it should be a lot closer, my dads was within millimeters.