PDA

View Full Version : QR disc 11spd options/recommendations?

sashae
08-16-2016, 08:15 AM
I've currently got my Vanilla touring bike set up as 10spd with SONDelux front and White Industries MI5 rear. Decided to go wet discs instead of cables when a set of Shimano hydro shifters appeared in classifieds, and realize I may have screwed myself.

WI MI5s post end of 2014 support 9/10/11, but it appears that I may have one of the non-11 non-upgradable hubs, which means this formerly relatively small project has inevitably become more complex.

So I'm looking for a new, 135mm qr disc rear hub, and the options have me a bit confused. I know WI has an option, as does Phil Wood and DT Swiss. XTR M9000 I can't run a road cassette, correct? Any other players to know about and thoughts on the available options?

keevon
08-16-2016, 08:18 AM
I have a pair of Shimano CX75 hubs that are nice, but not White / Phil / DT nice. Fully 11-speed road compatible, uses Centerlock rotors.

ColonelJLloyd
08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Jury is still out if there exists a "road" 11s cassette that will fit your 8/9/10 freehub. I've ordered a SunRace RS3 11-32t 11s cassette that will be here in a few days and I can report back.

There are, of course, disc QR hubs that take all 11s Shimano/SRAM cassettes. A few that come to mind in addition to offerings from King, DT and White Ind:

Velocity MTB Convertible hub (6 bolt, comes with convertible bits)
SRAM 900 (6 bolt, comes with convertible bits)
Shimano FH-RS505 (105 level centerlock)
Shimano FH-CS75 (Ultegra level centerlock)
Hope Pro 4 (6 bolt)
Onyx CX (6 bolt)
Industry Nine Torch Classic (6 bolt)

oldpotatoe
08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
I've currently got my Vanilla touring bike set up as 10spd with SONDelux front and White Industries MI5 rear. Decided to go wet discs instead of cables when a set of Shimano hydro shifters appeared in classifieds, and realize I may have screwed myself.

WI MI5s post end of 2014 support 9/10/11, but it appears that I may have one of the non-11 non-upgradable hubs, which means this formerly relatively small project has inevitably become more complex.

So I'm looking for a new, 135mm qr disc rear hub, and the options have me a bit confused. I know WI has an option, as does Phil Wood and DT Swiss. XTR M9000 I can't run a road cassette, correct? Any other players to know about and thoughts on the available options?

MTB 11s Cogsets are uber big so the biggest cog can be concaved toward the wheel w/o chain hitting spokes. Not so with 'road' 11s Cogsets that end in 28t-ish. So no, cannot put a road 11s cogset onto a 10s FH body.

I think DT is the best and easiest option for a road 11s compatible, 135mm, QR disc, rear hub...DT350.