PDA

View Full Version : So I found some keys today (nice Craigslist content)

Steve in SLO
08-15-2016, 11:00 PM
I found some keys while on a ride today, and put them on our local Craigslist lost and found. Within a couple of hours their owner emailed me to claim them. They were obviously work keys with a nice Snap-On key amongst the others. I called him up to confirm they were his. He thanked me and told me he would give me a reward. I replied that I just wanted to do the right thing and please not to give me anything. He sent his son up to retrieve the keys. His son presented me with a nice Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver and said "My dad wanted you to have this and knew you couldn't refuse it if I came up." Turns out he is our local Snap-On truck driver, and I actually have bought a few pieces from him over the years.
Anyway, this sort of thing would not have been possible before Craigslist and I thought it would pass it on. Sometimes it's nice to live in a small town.

livingminimal
08-15-2016, 11:02 PM
SLO is the greatest place on earth.
This story just confirms that.
;)

PS, what ride were ya doing where you found the keys? I was up there riding last week.

avalonracing
08-15-2016, 11:06 PM

I'm sure the same thing would have happened here in Baltimore :rolleyes:

Steve in SLO
08-15-2016, 11:11 PM
I was riding from my house on Highway 227 out Orcutt to Lopez lake, then down to Arroyo Grande and back Corbett Canyon Road. I was just cruising along on my Steelman and saw a glimmer on the roadside. I'm glad I got them for the guy. Work keys are very hard to replace.

livingminimal
08-15-2016, 11:14 PM
I was riding from my house on Highway 227 out Orcutt to Lopez lake, then down to Arroyo Grande and back Corbett Canyon Road. I was just cruising along on my Steelman and saw a glimmer on the roadside. I'm glad I got them for the guy. Work keys are very hard to replace.

That is a GREAT ride. Orcutt is so beautiful. I need to turn left sometime and go up to Lopez Lake.

azrider
08-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Neat story. Kudos for the good deed man. That dude was probably stoked to get those keys.

Regarding small town living-what i miss about small town life, was when my dad saw someone he knew while driving he'd wave them down and they'd turn their car off and chat while being in the middle of the street.

Aaron O
08-16-2016, 12:06 AM
FWIW, I've had my wallet returned to me twice in philadelphia, with money in it. Once from a cleaning woman who barely spoke English (I offered her the cash in the wallet, she refused).

I'm a fairly cynical, pessimistic sort...but there are good folks out there, they're just not as loud and you don't notice them.

Cicli
08-16-2016, 03:20 AM
I sold a seatpost here and shipped Priority with tracking. A few days later the buyer contacted me and said it was delivered but to a house a few towns over.???? Turns out USPS just delivered it to whoever. Well, we decided to wait and see. A few hours later he PM'd me to say someone had hand delivered it to his house. It was somewhere in Oregon.

macaroon
08-16-2016, 03:42 AM
Keep posting; I love stories like this.

Peter P.
08-16-2016, 06:04 AM
On Thanksgiving Day last year I was on a bike ride and found an Apple iPhone on the side of the road. It survived the drop off whoever's car and displayed a message that said something like, "I've been lost; please call xxx-xxxx."
I contacted the owner and told them I'd leave the phone at the local police department. They didn't even say thanks.

soulspinner
08-16-2016, 06:26 AM
FWIW, I've had my wallet returned to me twice in philadelphia, with money in it. Once from a cleaning woman who barely spoke English (I offered her the cash in the wallet, she refused).

I'm a fairly cynical, pessimistic sort...but there are good folks out there, they're just not as loud and you don't notice them.

I can relate.

Tony T
08-16-2016, 07:20 AM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/38c2de90403101349ef7005056a9545d

christian
08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
I have two stories in this vein:

I live in a small town of about 9,000 and a couple of years ago, when my daughter was around 3, I got home from a visit with the kids to the library. On our answering machine, there's a message, "Hi, It's the library; we think Alexandra forgot Mudge here." Mudge is Alexandra's stuffed St. Bernard that she's had from birth. I was blown away. They didn't toss him in the lost and found. They recognized him, called his owner, and even knew his name. Amazing.

The second story is from a couple months ago - I was mtb'ing with raygunner in my local park and he lost his phone. No problem, we think, we'll backtrack down the trail and I'll call his phone and we'll hear it when it rings. I call the phone and someone picks up and says hello. I get surprised and angrily yell, "Hey! You have my buddy's phone!" And the other party replies, "Yeah, this is Sgt. O'Keefe with the Pleasantville PD. Someone dropped it off here at the station for you." "Ooops, sorry for yelling Sgt. We'll be by in a few minutes."

Aaron O
08-16-2016, 08:24 AM
I have two stories in this vein:

I live in a small town of about 9,000 and a couple of years ago, when my daughter was around 3, I got home from a visit with the kids to the library. On our answering machine, there's a message, "Hi, It's the library; we think Alexandra forgot Mudge here." Mudge is Alexandra's stuffed St. Bernard that she's had from birth. I was blown away. They didn't toss him in the lost and found. They recognized him, called his owner, and even knew his name. Amazing.

The second story is from a couple months ago - I was mtb'ing with raygunner in my local park and he lost his phone. No problem, we think, we'll backtrack down the trail and I'll call his phone and we'll hear it when it rings. I call the phone and someone picks up and says hello. I get surprised and angrily yell, "Hey! You have my buddy's phone!" And the other party replies, "Yeah, this is Sgt. O'Keefe with the Pleasantville PD. Someone dropped it off here at the station for you." "Ooops, sorry for yelling Sgt. We'll be by in a few minutes."
Did the same thing with an iPhone...phone was missing (I realized I'd left it somewhere stupid on campus), I called it via video stream (I had an iPad with me, so was able to call through FaceTime) and a younger kid answers who seems to be laughing and smiling. I assumed thief. Turned out to be campus security and they were laughing while trying to figure out how to work the phone.

ANAO
08-16-2016, 08:30 AM
I found some keys while on a ride today, and put them on our local Craigslist lost and found. Within a couple of hours their owner emailed me to claim them. They were obviously work keys with a nice Snap-On key amongst the others. I called him up to confirm they were his. He thanked me and told me he would give me a reward. I replied that I just wanted to do the right thing and please not to give me anything. He sent his son up to retrieve the keys. His son presented me with a nice Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver and said "My dad wanted you to have this and knew you couldn't refuse it if I came up." Turns out he is our local Snap-On truck driver, and I actually have bought a few pieces from him over the years.
Anyway, this sort of thing would not have been possible before Craigslist and I thought it would pass it on. Sometimes it's nice to live in a small town.

Nice story. What is a snap on key? Sounds like something I need...

Steve in SLO
08-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Nice story. What is a snap on key? Sounds like something I need...

It's the toolbox key, and something I wish I needed.

bobswire
08-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Cool stories guys,been there done that,had it done to me (all in a good way). :hello:

chiasticon
08-16-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm a fairly cynical, pessimistic sort...but there are good folks out there, they're just not as loud and you don't notice them.yep. I've returned wallets found out on the road before. friends have returned iPhones. my wife's had her iPhone returned before. people are generally less of jerks than you think.

I say that, yet I'm fearful that every car approaching me from behind is piloted by a homicidal maniac. :help:

Idris Icabod
08-16-2016, 10:15 AM
I've found 2 phones in the last year or so. One when there was a call it was the owners Mom, so I told her that I'd hand it in at a certain place when she finally managed to contact the owner. Really nice lady.

Second guy called 'effing and jeffing' and accusing me of stealing the phone of his girlfriend!!! I told him I'd hand it in at the closest grocery store and he was lucky that I wasn't going to throw it in a random dumpster.

Aaron O
08-16-2016, 10:17 AM
yep. I've returned wallets found out on the road before. friends have returned iPhones. my wife's had her iPhone returned before. people are generally less of jerks than you think.

I say that, yet I'm fearful that every car approaching me from behind is piloted by a homicidal maniac. :help:

Maybe it's human nature, maybe it's just me...but I know that loud/annoying sticks out more than kind. I have FAR more drivers who are deliberately considerate, or accommodating than the other type...probably by a ratio of more than 50:1. I remember the jerks far more vividly.

thwart
08-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Maybe it's human nature, maybe it's just me...but I know that loud/annoying sticks out more than kind.

Sad but true. And we're overwhelmed with bad news from everywhere, it seems to get more clicks/readers than the good news. As a result we have a generally more fearful and pessimistic populace. IMO.

Anyway, to add to the list accumulating here: Local woman returned a wallet with over $2K in it last week... and there was a small piece about it on the front page of the local paper.

Fatty
08-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Last year I put the found in lost & found.

Found a purse on the big bridge In Lemont Il. Coming back from a couple loops around Argon lab there it is laying on the the sidewalk. Looked like someone tried to toss it into the turd canal. The village had some kind of party going on so rode down to it , found a cop, who turned out to be a rent a cop, and handed it to him. He spent 10 minutes interrogating me, trying to get me trip up my story. Must have thought he was Columbo.

Next I found a wallet floating in the Des Plaines river. I was in my kayak, with my Beagle in my lap, paddling upstream, looking forward to a nice float back down. I never carry my wallet with me in the boat and got a little nervous when I felt the lump I was sitting on. Checked that all was good, got straightened out, phew, lets get going again. Then what comes bobbing by. A zippered style leather wallet barely floating. Scooped it up with the paddle and continue on upstream to my turn around. Old ladies wallet, she lived in public housing. Every piece of ID you could think of was in there, so water logged some of it falling apart in my hands. Carefully stashed it, got it home and laid everything out to dry for a day or two before attempting a return.

Next day. Riding on the Centennial trail, popular multi use trail, mostly cyclists. What do I see, one of those little triangular frame bags that velcro up by the seat / top tube junction. Pick it up, look inside to see what they have stashed. Wallet and car keys. Tons of cash in the wallet, local guy from Lemont. Great. Now I'm in possession of two wallets that don't belong to me. Ask everyone I pass and if they lost a bag. Consider riding to the guys house but without car keys how is he going to get there. Ride back the war zone of bombed out rubble that the village considers parking for the trail, click his key fob remote to find his car. Open the door and stash his keys and wallet under the floor mat. Hung the empty bag from his rearview mirror. Hope that worked out for him.

Couple weeks later i'm riding along and see what looks like a cell phone battery next to the curb. Then see a phone laying face down in the street. Turn back, pick it up and then found the back cover. Put the three pieces in my jersey pocket and continue on the two blocks back home. Turns out to be the latest Samsung smart phone. Put it back together and power it up. Works fine. Call the last call dialed, it's the owner's Mom. In a panic because her daughter lost her phone. I say I know I'm calling on it. She want's me to deliver it back to them, told her she could come to my house and get it. Gave her instructions it would be under a red plastic bucket on my safe and secure front porch. Well someone picked it up, didn't get a thanks from them.

Oh and found a perfect little Victorinox swiss army knife. Kept that.

unterhausen
08-16-2016, 05:16 PM
I went to a ride in another state, and didn't get enough sleep. So after I finished the ride, I made it to the first rest stop and took a nap. When I woke up, I went to the restroom to clean up. I think everyone there thought I was homeless living out of my car, I looked horrible. As I was leaving, the guy in front of me was smacking a big wad of cash on his thigh, and he dropped it without noticing (who does this?). I told him he dropped something and thought no more of it until his female companion came to my car proffering money. I refused it. I felt bad about the way I refused it, I should have told her to leave a big tip at dinner or something.

ultraman6970
08-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Always see the trucks but never had the chance to buy or even see a snap-on tool. are they nice??? Warrantied for life and stuff?

Steve in SLO
08-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Yes, Ultra. They are nice and fully warranted as well.
I especially like their screwdrivers...and their wrenches...and their sockets...and their…

Cicli
08-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Second guy called 'effing and jeffing' and accusing me of stealing the phone of his girlfriend!!! I told him I'd hand it in at the closest grocery store and he was lucky that I wasn't going to throw it in a random dumpster.

I found a set of keys once out on a ride. They had a bar code fob thingy from a local gym. I called the gym and asked they contact the owner. A bit later that day the guy called. Wanted me to drive them up to his house miles away. I told him I would drop them off at a 7-11 and he could pick them up later that day. The guy called me back 10 minutes later saying he was at the 7-11 and where was I. I let him know it would be a few hours as his keys were on my bench at home and I was out and about. He called me every name in the book for wasting his time. I hung up. He called back and started in on me again. He needed them NOW! I hung up. I blocked his number and never heard from him again.
Some people.

Cicli
08-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Always see the trucks but never had the chance to buy or even see a snap-on tool. are they nice??? Warrantied for life and stuff?

I have a bery nice cars worth of Snap-On tools. They are the best and will never leave my garage again. Not in that business any more. Lucky they dont really depreciate.

559Rando
08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
;)

+1
I'd LOVE to live in SLO...anywhere in the entire county would be do it for me!