PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bro Candy Pedal Info Request

joe.e
08-15-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm in need of some collective forum knowledge. I see there are a million versions of this pedal (and a bunch on clearance at backcountry/rei), but I'm having a hell of a time deciding between them, and figuring out what I really need.

I'm used to road pedals, and know just about 0 about cross/mountain pedals. Their use would be primarily dry fireroads/single track on a cross bike I just picked up. I'll most likely be racing cross next season, but my busted elbow nixed this season for me. As a point of reference, I'm currently running ultegra 6600 on my road bikes (I don't know if that helps at all).

Is there a "105" version? Is it worth shelling out for the rubberized grippers on the pedal body? help?

:help::help::beer:

CampyorBust
08-15-2016, 05:43 PM
I ride these things year round, even in 2 feet of snow on the fatty. Have I ever thought to myself man I wish they had some rubberized grippies? Nope not once. They shed mud easily and clipping in is never an issue. Some people have had issues with them, I have not and I am not easy on them. I have the nicer Candy 3 and the basic Candy from 2007 which I still ride. Dinged the metal cage that holds the cleat in really bad a few times and bend it back into place. I like Crank bros pedals and honestly I liked Shim pedals when I rode them, loved the way they clip in but get them muddy or icy and you might have difficulty. My cleats do wear fast though.

Cicli
08-15-2016, 05:45 PM
105 version of what? A Crank Bros pedal?
I personally do not care for CB pedals. Early on they broke alot and I was always warrantying them. Sort of a pain. I switched to SPD for cross and dirt pedals and have never looked back. Go Shimano.

Dead Man
08-15-2016, 05:52 PM
I've never understood the existence of the Candy... all that extra "platform" does is weight more and get in the way of mud... but it's just hard plastic for your carbon sole to skitter off if you botch the re-clip. So why even have it? And if you have treaded soles that won't skitter off as easily, they'll stick to Egg Beaters just as well. I used rubber-soled walkable shoes with Egg Beaters for commuting... never gouged my shin or banged my junk off the top tube

If there's a variety with rubber, I can see that maybe being advantageous, if you have a hard sole.. at least the platform is serving a functional purpose then. But still... the Egg Beaters are so lightweight and simple and cut through mud so well - I wouldn't bother with the Candys. It's defeating the whole point of Crank Bros

DrSpoke
08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
105 version of what? A Crank Bros pedal?
I personally do not care for CB pedals. Early on they broke alot and I was always warrantying them. Sort of a pain. I switched to SPD for cross and dirt pedals and have never looked back. Go Shimano.

I bought two pair (Titanium Candy) hoping to use them for both road and mountain riding. The 1st pair blew up within 1,000 miles and the 2nd pair disintregated within 300 miles and left me stranded on the road for the 1st time ever. Now on SPDs - and won't even consider anything else.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/08/coming-home-a-letter-from-matts-m737-pedals/

lookout2015
08-15-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm in need of some collective forum knowledge. I see there are a million versions of this pedal (and a bunch on clearance at backcountry/rei), but I'm having a hell of a time deciding between them, and figuring out what I really need.

I'm used to road pedals, and know just about 0 about cross/mountain pedals. Their use would be primarily dry fireroads/single track on a cross bike I just picked up. I'll most likely be racing cross next season, but my busted elbow nixed this season for me. As a point of reference, I'm currently running ultegra 6600 on my road bikes (I don't know if that helps at all).

Is there a "105" version? Is it worth shelling out for the rubberized grippers on the pedal body? help?

:help::help::beer:

Candy 1-3 are different by durability and weight mainly. 3 has bearings vs bushings, cast wings vs stamped. 1 vs 2 is 2 has a lighter alloy

I have candy 3's on several bikes and like them a lot. Mine are older (before the 7 and 11 models came along). No problems with them.

The cleats are intentionally a bit soft so you'll find you replace those more often than you're probably used to