PDA

View Full Version : Bike Travel Case

aatores
08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Any recommendations (or existing threads) on bike travel cases?
I've used the basic Trico case but am looking for something more high tech.

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 04:46 PM
whats your budget? lots of goof options these days, just a matter of how much $$ you want to spend.

aatores
08-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Thule Round Trip looks nice -- maybe too pricey.
I've seen some soft top cases but I'm not sure of their durability.

bcroslin
08-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Thule Round Trip looks nice -- maybe too pricey.
I've seen some soft top cases but I'm not sure of their durability.

That would be my recommendation. The integrated bike stand is brilliant. My LBS has one and a friend of mine just took it to France and loved it.

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 05:19 PM
That would be my recommendation. The integrated bike stand is brilliant. My LBS has one and a friend of mine just took it to France and loved it.

Beware of the added weight of a hard case, particularly that Thule. Gotta keep it under 50lbs total of face additional baggage fees...

sitzmark
08-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Beware of the added weight of a hard case, particularly that Thule. Gotta keep it under 50lbs total of face additional baggage fees...

If you're flying United and similar. Jet Blue $50 up to 99lbs. I have the Thule RT Transition. Actually pretty easy to maneuver for a large case. Very stable and great protection. Rent minivans or SUVs. No taxis.

My bike minus pedals gets me in right at 50#.

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 05:43 PM
If you're flying United and similar. Jet Blue $50 up to 99lbs. I have the Thule RT Transition. Actually pretty easy to maneuver for a large case. Very stable and great protection. Rent minivans or SUVs. No taxis.

My bike minus pedals gets me in right at 50#.

I've only ever used a case flying internationally, and it was 50lb limit, forget the airline though...

Nice to be able to pack some other stuff in the case as well if possible to keep your carry on reasonable.

I've also read some articles with comments from baggage handlers that they tend to be rougher with hard cases vs soft, also the smooth plastic of a hard case has less grip on conveyor belts and therefore more likely to fall off being loaded or unloaded.

Dunno about the Thule but the trico case is a huge PITA to close up, makes for a dangerous situation when tsa has to take a look, might not close it right. Point being, get a case that is easy open/close for TSA.

sitzmark
08-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Dunno about the Thule but the trico case is a huge PITA to close up, makes for a dangerous situation when tsa has to take a look, might not close it right. Point being, get a case that is easy open/close for TSA.

The clamshells do get pitched around a little more. With the upright transition I noticed the case being wheeled by handle directly to oversize garage door at smaller airports. Same at large airports but transported on carts to from plane. First trip with it a baggage handler handed it to me at oversize and said it is a case he like handling. Goes through TSA we'll because no repack of anything - pull top off everything is visible all around bike. Replace lid and lock.

That said it is a big case. Much easier to arrange for bike at destination, but for travel with $$ carbon it eliminates anxiety.

rccardr
08-15-2016, 01:32 AM
Evoc.

Boom.

numbskull
08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
This is good.
http://pikapackworks.com

sitzmark
08-15-2016, 06:58 AM
If willing to consider soft cases, another option along with pika and evoc is the Biknd. http://biknd.com/en/

No personal experience with it, but do have the Biknd Oxygen wheel cases and they work well. Rugged and well padded, but same risk of puncture as any soft case. Much easier logistics at destination.

CampyorBust
08-15-2016, 09:16 AM
After having traversed the never ending gauntlet marathon of Schiphol airport from one far flung end to the other with a hard bike case, a huge back and a heavy carry on, because the airlines were not friends and would not link their baggage. I can honestly say that hard cases are a heavy pain in the arse, soft shell if you have the means. Having said that my bikes have always arrived there in one peace, could be my ace packing job though. Even the airport gestapo thought I did a nice job, asked about the rocks though, thought I was odd for painting them.

chiasticon
08-15-2016, 09:35 AM
it depends on what you mean by "high tech" I guess. you want more protection or more features or more carrying capacity or what? :confused:

haven't used it, but I always thought this option was great (http://www.gavilanbff.com/). you have to tear your bike apart a little more than normal, but it's nothing that 20 minutes with some hex tools won't fix. and you're basically guaranteed not to get hit with an oversize fee.

572cv
08-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Two experiences with softshell: My wife likes the EVOC case I got her. Not heavy, maneuverable and does a good job protecting. Daughter got herself the newer Thule soft case with the built in workstand. We were on a trip together last fall, and the workstand is a pretty nice feature, I must say.

I use S&S couplers and really like the ability to have the small case. It is a little easier at the airport, I can rent a small car or fit in a taxi when that is needed, and the case is very protective.

As an aside, I think one of the key protective things one can do when flying with a bike is to try to locate a direct flight to where you are going. It eliminates a lot of handling of the bike box, and you know your bike is going to make it.

spookyload
08-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Trico Ironcase. Not sure why you need more hi tech, but I prefer a case that protects my bike. Shipped my Look 695 five times round trip this year via bikeflights. Pipe insulation on the carbon tubes takes about an hour. Shipping is $35 at most for the five places in the US I have sent it to. Flawless every time, and I even ship it with my Bora Ultras without worry.

Cornfed
08-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I've always wanted to try one of these. Supposedly meets requirements for standard size luggage.

http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/

Pierre
08-17-2016, 12:32 PM
I've got two EVOC's that have served my wife and me very well. They roll up to a semi-convenient size when you get to point B and leave you with tons of weight allowance/space to fit in odds and ends.

I would be cautious about the soft cases that have you keeping your handlebars on and facing the front. Seems to me that the brake hoods are not what you want taking the brunt of any rough handling when it comes to softcases.

Of note, I came across this online as a nice compact way to put your bike on the roof or the back of your vehicle when you get to your destination:

https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/#tab-description

It is a bit of a leap of faith but man, it's solid as a rock. Plus it fits in the bike bag without issue.

numbskull
08-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Of note, I came across this online as a nice compact way to put your bike on the roof or the back of your vehicle when you get to your destination:

https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/#tab-description

It is a bit of a leap of faith but man, it's solid as a rock. Plus it fits in the bike bag without issue.

Interesting. I have experience using these on boats and they are indeed very secure. They use a high quality heavy duty suction cup and a contained vacuum pump. I also have a friend who jury rigged two of them to carry his heavy fishing bike on a rental car some years ago, also with good results.

Pierre
08-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Interesting. I have experience using these on boats and they are indeed very secure. They use a high quality heavy duty suction cup and a contained vacuum pump. I also have a friend who jury rigged two of them to carry his heavy fishing bike on a rental car some years ago, also with good results.

Not that I'm putting a plug in for the product but what finally convinced me that these were in fact pretty solid was the following video:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvtse0msnOAhXJHx4KHbvjDEsQtwIIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_4 1Ujjv6WUw&usg=AFQjCNFT2UCXL30PhgOQf_QmndEIMve1Rw&sig2=jovnet784PIDv5CL9PvSUQ