PDA

View Full Version : Bar Tape

Ssalmon
08-14-2016, 08:07 AM
I am looking for some new bar tape, what are people using these days? Right now I like the cloth roubaix tape from Specialized. I tried Lizard Skins and was not a fan. I ride with out gloves any suggestions?

CampyorBust
08-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Arundel

Tony T
08-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Fi`zi:k Bar:tapes (http://www.fizik.com/us_en/men/accessories-2/bar-tape.html) (Superlight Soft Touch)

Cicli
08-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Around here Handlebra is the go to. I tried it and it was awesome but eventully one of the seams in the strip began to come apart. Just started to roll up and not lay flat. I ditched it. I switched to the Brooks Microfiber and its awesome. Made by Fizik and its nice, durable and comfortable.
I found Lizard skins to be slipery as hell.

BdaGhisallo
08-14-2016, 08:54 AM
http://www.zevlin.com/Handlebar_Finishing_Tape_p/bevpu.htm

You're welcome.

R3awak3n
08-14-2016, 09:40 AM
I have tried everything (hated lizard skin) and keep going back to fizik

gomango
08-14-2016, 09:46 AM
I have tried everything (hated lizard skin) and keep going back to fizik

Same here, other than Handlebra.

Fizik Superlight made from Microtex works so well, I can't seem to go wrong.

FlashUNC
08-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Fizik.

TimAZ
08-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Is Lizard Skin tape slippery in humid climates? I run that stuff all the time in the 2nd driest state in the union and I love it. Tacky and washable.

Cicli
08-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Is Lizard Skin tape slippery in humid climates? I run that stuff all the time in the 2nd driest state in the union and I love it. Tacky and washable.

It just feals real slimy when its even a bit humid out.
Easilly the worst tape I have ever used.

Tony
08-14-2016, 10:10 AM
It just feals real slimy when its even a bit humid out.
Easilly the worst tape I have ever used.

Also don't care for Lizard Skin, too tacky, wears out fast, difficult to keep clean.

thirdgenbird
08-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Fizik.

Satellite
08-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Around here Handlebra is the go to. I tried it and it was awesome but eventully one of the seams in the strip began to come apart. Just started to roll up and not lay flat. I ditched it. I switched to the Brooks Microfiber and its awesome. Made by Fizik and its nice, durable and comfortable.
I found Lizard skins to be slipery as hell.

Handlebra did the same thing to me. I even tried to get it repaired locally at a shoe repair shop. Lasted about two rides. I am going to give Brooks a try. I used Fizik prior to handlebra it was good but leather is amazing to bad it had lamination issues.

Avincent52
08-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Seems to me there are two factors: Looks and feel.
If you want a particular color--Celeste or a certain blue--that's going to drive your choice.
But if I'm going black or white, I like the Zipp Service Course which has a light texture, or the Fizik Performance which has a deeper texture that feels good and adds some visual interest in a black on black bike.

classtimesailer
08-14-2016, 01:18 PM
I went back to cloth tape on two of my bikes. No gloves for me unless it is cold. So far, I have 1500 miles on my commuter and a couple of 60 mile rides on the fat tire road bike. Velox will cover your bars for less than 10 bucks. if you want plastic tape, the thin fizik lasts and lasts but is slippery with some gloves.

franswa
08-14-2016, 01:21 PM
+1 on zipp service course cx tape. My absolute favorite.

MattTuck
08-14-2016, 01:23 PM
There was a thread here a while ago where some people were liking Supacaz. I have no experience, but possible should be in the consideration set.

MaraudingWalrus
08-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't like the supacaz stuff. But I have no idea why.

I really like the ESI tape and like Fabric Knurl tape even more.

rnhood
08-14-2016, 01:35 PM

While I am currently using Zipp tape, and its Ok although after a couple months it loses some of the tackiness, but I used Lizard Skin (various iterations) for a couple years and overall it's excellent tape. When it gets wet from rain or high humidity, it does take on a slightly slippery feel. That is probably the only drawback in an otherwise stellar performer - the tackiness of LS sets the benchmark imho. Oh yea, and cost might be considered a drawback of LS since $40 is borderlining on hideous. No tape is worth that much given the numerous brands and models available for much less.

BdaGhisallo
08-14-2016, 01:52 PM

How long have you been using the ESI tape? I quite liked it too - was fairly grippy and wrapped nice and thick - but it wore out way too quickly. I wore through it just above the hoods in two months, and I am not a high mileage rider by any stretch!

MaraudingWalrus
08-14-2016, 01:53 PM
How long have you been using the ESI tape? I quite liked it too - was fairly grippy and wrapped nice and thick - but it wore out way too quickly. I wore through it just above the hoods in two months, and I am not a high mileage rider by any stretch!

I've had it on one of my bikes since November? Probably got about 2500 on that bike?

Cicli
08-14-2016, 01:54 PM

That supacaz stuff fely like Lizard skins. I didnt like it too much either. Comfortable but it felt slimy.

Hilltopperny
08-14-2016, 03:11 PM

I have been using the knurl tape on almost all of bikes and love it. Favorite tape for no gloves riding.

rwsaunders
08-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I have a hard time wearing out Cinelli cork tape although it is a pain when removal time comes around. I have had some Cinelli Caleido on one bike for a few months and other than being a bit short for 46 Noodles, I like it.

foo_fighter
08-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Do they make the NFS tape? Funny how they can reuse the N plugs. Anyway I just ordered a set of the NFS tape.
http://www.zevlin.com/Handlebar_Finishing_Tape_p/bevpu.htm

You're welcome.

BdaGhisallo
08-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Do they make the NFS tape? Funny how they can reuse the N plugs. Anyway I just ordered a set of the NFS tape.

Yes, they do.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2016, 05:26 AM
I am looking for some new bar tape, what are people using these days? Right now I like the cloth roubaix tape from Specialized. I tried Lizard Skins and was not a fan. I ride with out gloves any suggestions?

Zevlin..wide is the answer..makes more sense than wide tires..:rolleyes:

http://www.zevlin.com/

Hank Scorpio
08-15-2016, 05:32 AM
I have some Zevlin custom tape in order for my club after trialling the NFS tape. Easily cleaned and stayed grippy even without gloves. I put some Supacaz on recently and I am not impressed at all. Very slippery without gloves! The one thing they do right is their finishing tape. They include some stretchy rubbery tape that has super grippy adhesive on the back. They should just sell rolls of that instead of the bar tape.