PDA

View Full Version : Too old to rock and roll?

91Bear
08-13-2016, 10:09 PM
When I was a college student in early 90's, my roommates and I would ride a 14.6 mile loop as a time trial. The goal was to break 40 minutes. I never could. The best I could do was 42:16, or just under 21 mph.

(I'm built for endurance but never all that fast.)

I'm 48 now and I still regret never breaking that mark. Is it too late?

I weigh about the same as I did then but don't get to train that much (job, kids, etc.) I still wonder if I could do it.

Any ideas? Could I work up a routine on a trainer to get myself able to do it?

FlashUNC
08-13-2016, 10:20 PM
If Ray "The Boot" Booty can do a 100 mile TT in under 4 hours, anything is possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Booty

Louis
08-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Is it all flat, or is there any significant climbing?

Of course you want to improve yourself overall, but knowing how much aero changes will buy you (mostly flat course) vs improving your climbing, will also help guide your approach to the problem.

91Bear
08-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Flat. 34 feet of climbing. :)

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/waco-tx/downsville-loop-route-90666

adub
08-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Only one way to find out :)

Louis
08-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Well, if it's flat then the easiest way to go faster is to reduce drag.

The harder way is to train better.

91Bear
08-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I thought about full skinsuit, disc wheel, etc.

But, I should probably take the Eddy Merckx route and use the technology available then. Basically just aerobars.

Ti Designs
08-13-2016, 11:08 PM

Any chance you'll be traveling to the Boston area???

The short answer is yes, I have lots of ideas (and opinions), and it all starts on the trainer.

The medium length answer is yes, but I find that coaching over the internet sucks 'cause I'm not there to correct when things aren't going right. Practice only makes perfect if you do it right...

The long answer is yes, but it's a long answer. I have a coaching website, there are videos that explain the basic drills, but all it shows is me doing the drills, not the hours of practice it took to get to that point. It's kinda like watching an athlete on TV and saying "yeh, do it just like that", which is pointless and skips the whole learning process.

I call this the long answer because I want to change that, but to do so I need to show someone in the learning process. That means posting videos and sharing them with me in a file format that I can pull frames and mark up to show what's working and what's not. I would love to do this with a Paceline member, and I happen to think that somewhere in your 40's you need to learn how to ride smarter, because fitter just isn't an option any more - there's a point that needs to be made here...

Louis
08-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Over the last 13 years (time I've been in my current house) I've had one stretch of road (rollers and one mini-climb) that I use as my "reference."

If I'm in really good shape I can do it under 30 minutes. Usually it's around 33-35 minutes. I haven't done it in a while, but right now I doubt I could do it under 40 min.

fignon's barber
08-14-2016, 07:17 AM
OP,
You absolutely could do it. Back in the early 90's, the science of intervals and recovery wasn't even refined yet. Do you're own research or get a coach.
Forget the equipment advantages, because what I think you're trying to accomplish is about yourself, not if you can get back to where you were with the aid of fancy bike parts.
But you don't get there by getting older and training less efficiently:bike:

ripvanrando
08-14-2016, 07:33 AM
When I was a college student in early 90's, my roommates and I would ride a 14.6 mile loop as a time trial. The goal was to break 40 minutes. I never could. The best I could do was 42:16, or just under 21 mph.

(I'm built for endurance but never all that fast.)

I weigh about the same as I did then but don't get to train that much (job, kids, etc.) I still wonder if I could do it.

I would "only" need 200 watts to ride that fast. I have no idea how much you would need

It is not too late for sure.

At 55 years old, I increased my "all day" power from 160 watts to 211 watts over a fairly short period of time and my "all day" power this Spring was 220 watts. There are plenty of coaches to help. I did it on my own.

Yes, you can do it. Make sure you are on good tires. Continental GP 4000 si with the Chili compound are fast and fairly puncture resistant. Position on the bike (aero) matters a lot over 20 mph

Joxster
08-14-2016, 12:00 PM
If you want to break it, you have to do it on 90's equipment. And in the grand scheme of things and in the harsh light of day I think that golf or tennis might be a better challenge.

weisan
08-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Bear pal, sports science and medical advances over the last few decades have been leaps and bounds. I am sure you can do it...as long as you are willing to pay the price.

dustyrider
08-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Old rockers are smarter rockers. Wait for a tailwind and give it a go!:)

I would so take up Tidesigns offer if I was anywhere in the neighborhood.

bitpuddle
08-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Definitely not too late. Get a good FTP-building training plan and stick to it.

If you want inspiration, read Friel's "Fast After Fifty." Lots of good information about endurance sports and aging, most of it really encouraging.

91Bear
08-16-2016, 05:51 PM

The short answer is yes, I have lots of ideas (and opinions), and it all starts on the trainer.

The medium length answer is yes, but I find that coaching over the internet sucks 'cause I'm not there to correct when things aren't going right. Practice only makes perfect if you do it right...

The long answer is yes, but it's a long answer. I have a coaching website, there are videos that explain the basic drills, but all it shows is me doing the drills, not the hours of practice it took to get to that point. It's kinda like watching an athlete on TV and saying "yeh, do it just like that", which is pointless and skips the whole learning process.

I call this the long answer because I want to change that, but to do so I need to show someone in the learning process. That means posting videos and sharing them with me in a file format that I can pull frames and mark up to show what's working and what's not. I would love to do this with a Paceline member, and I happen to think that somewhere in your 40's you need to learn how to ride smarter, because fitter just isn't an option any more - there's a point that needs to be made here...

I'm a long way from Boston but I'd love to hear your ideas! :beer:

572cv
08-16-2016, 06:01 PM
48 and already realizing you could be thinking AND riding smarter?

You're lucky!

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/4york.php

:beer:

91Bear
08-16-2016, 06:17 PM
48 and already realizing you could be thinking AND riding smarter?

You're lucky!

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/4york.php

:beer:

Luxury! My all-time favorite Python skit.

91Bear
08-24-2016, 01:20 PM
If you want to break it, you have to do it on 90's equipment. And in the grand scheme of things and in the harsh light of day I think that golf or tennis might be a better challenge.

Don't you know? Cycling is the new golf (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37153683)!

"Golf is a relatively mature market but with an increasing number of competing suppliers," says Simon Chadwick, professor of sports enterprise at the University of Salford. "At best, we have to say that the US golf market is static, while at the same time we have seen traditional golf markets across North America and Europe being hit by the rise of cycling," says Prof Chadwick. Middle-aged cyclists may be partly to blame for the challenges golf faces Indeed, he says that some social commentators have identified cycling as "the new golf" for middle-aged men.

Waldo
08-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Make your attempt on a day when tail wind blows all around the loop. That and train with Ti...

teleguy57
08-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Too old to Rock 'N Roll? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU)

Lewis Moon
08-24-2016, 02:23 PM
You don't need to full TT aero. There are a lot of good aero jerseys out there (the Castelli climbers jersey is aero and cool), lycra shoe covers are a good bang-for-the-buck aero option and the Bontrager Ballista helmet is pretty aero but can be worn on the road.

Aero = cheap speed.

Also: get a set of good tires (Vittoria Open Corsa, etc) and a set of latex tubes.

Lewis Moon
08-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Make your attempt on a day when tail wind blows all around the loop. That and train with Ti...

Heh....There was a 28 mile "lollipop" loop with 400ft of climbing near my old house that could be timed so you had a tailwind both directions on the long straight. Wind changed every day about an hour after sunrise.

91Bear
08-24-2016, 02:37 PM
It happened to me once on my loop. I had a tailwind going out and was dreading the ride back. A front came through just before I reached the turnaround point and it rained behind me. For the second half of the ride I had a strong tailwind and a wet road. I felt like I was flying!

ojingoh
08-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Can you hold ~242W for 40 minutes?

Quick and dirty calcs with your guesstimated weight #200, bike weight of #20:https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

It seems to me that you could break 22mph, with no breaks, on a calm day, with about 240 watts. I'm comparing that to my own efforts, that looks about right to me.

Next step is go take a few baseline runs at this, document it to find out how far off the pace you are now, then plan accordingly.

paredown
08-24-2016, 03:25 PM
It happened to me once on my loop. I had a tailwind going out and was dreading the ride back. A front came through just before I reached the turnaround point and it rained behind me. For the second half of the ride I had a strong tailwind and a wet road. I felt like I was flying!

BITD, we did an out and back time trial on the old Trans-Canada highway west of Calgary as part of the Tour of Calgary race. Going west it was a massive headwind as you fought the summer version of the Chinook winds; coming back was the best tailwind assisted ride I have ever done.

In the days of 52 big rings, I was lucky in that my team replica bike had been spec'd with a 53 ring--commonplace now, but rare in 1973. Coming back it was head down, dead flat and cranking in my 53-13. Beat a bunch of good riders that day because I didn't run out of gear.

Elefantino
08-24-2016, 03:31 PM
You are never too old to rock and roll! (https://youtu.be/_1LcqPLBxkg)

ripvanrando
08-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Can you hold ~242W for 40 minutes?

Quick and dirty calcs with your guesstimated weight #200, bike weight of #20:https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

It seems to me that you could break 22mph, with no breaks, on a calm day, with about 240 watts. I'm comparing that to my own efforts, that looks about right to me.

Next step is go take a few baseline runs at this, document it to find out how far off the pace you are now, then plan accordingly.

I love that tool.

The default tire rolling resistance is gatorsin-like (sic). Put the best tires on and the power needed drops to 220 watts. Clip-on aerobars and a decent jersey and bibs brings it closer to 200 watts.....probably 205 for me. I'm almost 200# and these power figures are what I do long flat rides but going Eddy mode on lousy tires (0.005 CRR) probably would take at least 240 watts or close to it for me.

Putting good tires on isn't cheating. There were fast tires back then, just not so available (or cheap)

tv_vt
08-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Jeez, f-yeah, you could break that. Do you allow yourself to use aero technology in the attempt, or is this a 'Merckx-style' attempt, using same bike/clothing/etc as when you were in college?

If aero is OK >> skinsuit, aero wheels, aero bars... You should be able to do mid-20's mph easy.

91Bear
08-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Jeez, f-yeah, you could break that. Do you allow yourself to use aero technology in the attempt, or is this a 'Merckx-style' attempt, using same bike/clothing/etc as when you were in college?

If aero is OK >> skinsuit, aero wheels, aero bars... You should be able to do mid-20's mph easy.

Merckx-style. Aerobars, regular helmet. I will probably wear a short-sleeved skinsuit (because I have one). I'll probably ride my Ciocc with 9-speed Dura-ace and downtube shifters because it's as close as I have to my old 23 lb. Maruishi with Suntour Alpha 3000 12-speed!

Peter P.
08-24-2016, 04:58 PM
It doesn't matter whether you can do it (make the time cut for the TT). What you'll get the most enjoyment out of is THE JOURNEY.

Setting a training program NOW, so you can make your attempts in 2017, and executing that training program, is where you'll find the most fulfillment.

And skip trying to buy your speed with all the fancy helmets, clothing and aero this and that. It's a squandering of money for such a limited purpose. Besides, you're measuring yourself against the days of yore when you didn't use an aero setup anyway. Where would be the satisfaction if you succeeded but it wasn't apples to apples but "cheating"?

So get yourself some good training books, a training diary, and a calendar to fill in all the days of training. Develop the plan and execute the plan. Having a focused goal, a purpose, is where you'll get satisfaction, even if you don't succeed.

ripvanrando
08-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Father time cheats us every day.

Trying to compete with a 20 year decay curve isn't exactly fair.

Put good tires on, an aero bar, and a decent jersey.

Train.

You can do it but it won't be a piece of cake

Frankwurst
08-24-2016, 06:15 PM
When I was in my twentys I always looked at Mount Rainier and said one day I want to sit on top of that mountain and I never had the time or money to make it happen. When I was in my late fortys I was getting myself in decent shape for no particular reason and walked in the house and told Mrs. Wurst. I'm climbing Mount Rainer next year. She looked at me and said "I knew it was coming". Sat up there the day before I turned 50. Anything is doable it just boils down to how much are you willing to do to get there. Go for it. It's good for the soul.:beer:

stephenmarklay
08-24-2016, 10:31 PM

Hmm. If you don’t get any takers … I would certainly have some interest in that.

stephenmarklay
08-24-2016, 10:34 PM
I do think you can too. I am 47 and I am not giving up trying.