PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 2,900mi bikeway from Maine to Key West

seric
08-13-2016, 10:08 PM
http://www.core77.com/posts/54976/A-2900-Mile-Car-Free-Bicycle-Path-Running-from-Maine-to-Florida-is-Underway?

Louis
08-13-2016, 10:18 PM
They say "30% there." So 30% x 2900 = 870 miles already in place. I've never heard of it.

If it's anything like a cycling equivalent of the AT, that would be very, very cool. But as usual, I don't understand the Lycra hate.

Mr. Pink
08-13-2016, 10:49 PM
This needs federal coordination. Actually, it needs a president who is enthusiastic about it. Doubtful. Both candidates are not outdoor exercise types, for sure. Pataki was quite enthusiastic about trails in NY state, and got a lot of them done (which I assume this is using) but I haven't seen much work since he left office, and the older trails are getting shabby.
Hell, we couldn't get a decent Zika fight funded before they went off to summer vacation, so, you know, a bike trail? Good luck.

Hilltopperny
08-13-2016, 11:33 PM
In upstate ny they are in the process of paving some of the trail in Herkimer county right now and it's maintained alright all through Montgomery County as well. I can't really tell you much more than that about it as those are the sections I ride, but if they can get the funding for a whole bicycle interstate system that would be great!

oldfatslow
08-14-2016, 06:23 AM
I bet the 1/3 that's done is a hodge-podge of local and regional trails. My experience has been that through navigating those, especially when it's lot of different short trails, is tough to navigate and not really efficient (leading you to ride on the road).

Last Summer my wife and I rode the GAP trail from downtown Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD and then picked up the C&O Canal Barge Path down into Washington, DC. It was awesome. 300 or so miles with zero cars.

When safe (and especially separate) bike paths are available my observation is that people use them.

I'd love to see a system in place.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2016, 06:31 AM
This needs federal coordination. Actually, it needs a president who is enthusiastic about it. Doubtful. Both candidates are not outdoor exercise types, for sure. Pataki was quite enthusiastic about trails in NY state, and got a lot of them done (which I assume this is using) but I haven't seen much work since he left office, and the older trails are getting shabby.
Hell, we couldn't get a decent Zika fight funded before they went off to summer vacation, so, you know, a bike trail? Good luck.

No kidding, and they wonder why their approval is in the single digits. PLUS infrastructure repair is way underfunded for america's dream machine..which isn't a bike..

Ralph
08-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Florida is dead serious about completing it's trails. 250 mile Jacksonville to Tampa largely done. Comes by my house. And sure....it's not a direct route. Links still need completion. It's called "eco tourism" here.

bcroslin
08-14-2016, 08:29 AM
3 important words when it come to getting to a key west: 7 mile bridge. Whatever "trail" that's built would need to include some sort of integration with this bridge to get to key west. As it stands now, the bridge is poorly maintained for cyclists with road debris everywhere. As far as I'm concerned, if the trail were to simply connect to Miami that would work.