PDA

View Full Version : Di2 questions

Cicli
08-13-2016, 01:18 PM
I am thinking about upgrading to di2. What all wires and junction box do I need?
I see three port and 5 port. I am not olanning any funky remote shifters so......

SoCalSteve
08-13-2016, 01:37 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/demystifying-di2

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-di2-complete-wire-power-kit

Enjoy!

tigoat
08-13-2016, 01:47 PM
You will need an external junction box A and an internal junction box B. There is also a battery that will reside in the seatpost or seat tube. FD, RD, and battery all need a wire each to run to junction box B. There is one wire that connects junction box A to junction box B. And finally, you will need a wire for each shifter to run to junction box A. There should be a total of 6 wires if I count them right. The 3-port junction box A should be enough unless you two additional ports for something more.

shovelhd
08-13-2016, 05:22 PM
You can use sprint shifters with a three port junction A as they use a special port on the shifters. If you want to use an internal battery make sure you have access to the seat tube and down rube from the bottom bracket.

John H.
08-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Remote shifters are not funky- I think the climbing shifter is the coolest feature of DI2.
But why not get the 5 port junction A box and have options?

But in terms of wires and boxes you need (from shifter back)
wires from shifters to junction A (2)- 300-350
junction A box- I like the 5 port
wire from junction A through (or down) downtube
Junction B
wire from battery to junction B
wire from junction B to front derailleur
wire from junction B to rear derailleur

This might not be exact for your bike- but it will give you an idea on lengths needed. http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000039491_R1.pdf

kramnnim
08-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Read about the D-fly unit, as well, you may decide you "need" it.

SoCalSteve
08-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Read about the D-fly unit, as well, you may decide you "need" it.

If you use a Garmin 520 or 1000, then you do NEED it!

oldpotatoe
08-14-2016, 06:16 AM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/demystifying-di2

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-di2-complete-wire-power-kit

Enjoy!

Pretty well summed up but the OP needs to know that if the frame cannot support an internal battery, external battery solution still exists for Di2..Just one more hole for the wires from the battery into the frame. AND if no internal at all..all external is possible. EPS as well.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Pretty well summed up but the OP needs to know that if the frame cannot support an internal battery, external battery solution still exists for Di2..Just one more hole for the wires from the battery into the frame. AND if no internal at all..all external is possible. EPS as well.

Or, skip all the malarkey of running wires, connectors and mounting issues and just get Etap

After using it awhile, I firmly believe it is a solution to a problem that does exist!

The blip shifters can be paced in numerous locations ( unlike the DI2 remote shifters) and you don't need to purchase or mount a sensor for communication with your Garmin. ETap just does that seamlessly.

Look585
08-14-2016, 12:33 PM
(snip) The blip shifters can be paced in numerous locations ( unlike the DI2 remote shifters)

With patience and some very modest soldering skills you can put sprint/remote buttons in multiple places on your handlebars.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2016, 03:12 PM
With patience and some very modest soldering skills you can put sprint/remote buttons in multiple places on your handlebars.

With no patience and no soldering, you can place blip shifters wherever you want along the bars, stem, etc.

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 03:29 PM
with no patience and no soldering, you can place blip shifters wherever you want along the bars, stem, etc...you just also have to be able to afford etap...
ftfy ;)

SoCalSteve
08-14-2016, 03:38 PM
ftfy ;)

It's about the same price as Dura Ace DI2, with no special frame needed. And, no extra sensor to connect to Garmin. It's built in.

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 03:55 PM
It's about the same price as Dura Ace DI2, with no special frame needed. And, no extra sensor to connect to Garmin. It's built in.

Which costs more than twice 6870...which is also di2.

Connecting to a garmin is a neat little feature and all but it is in no way a deciding factor for anyone, as the vast majority of di2 owners have no interest in a d-fly in the first place.
Just more unnecessary information cluttering your screen/mind IMO.

Etap is cool and all but call me when they make a force version for half the price.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Which costs more than twice 6870...which is also di2.

Connecting to a garmin is a neat little feature and all but it is in no way a deciding factor for anyone, as the vast majority of di2 owners have no interest in a d-fly in the first place.
Just more unnecessary information cluttering your screen/mind IMO.

Etap is cool and all but call me when they make a force version for half the price.

The comparison is like comparing VW to Audi. Apples and oranges. The platforms are similar, but the workings and fit and finish of the Audi ( Dura Ace ) are far superior.

As for the Garmin connection, do you know what information is transferred? IMHO, knowing the battery level(s) at any given time and gear ratios is more than just " neat ". And, there are diagnostic features as well that are shown in the Garmin.

I'd love to take a poll and see how many DI2 owners would be interested in the D Fly sensor if they knew exactly all that it did and was free ( ETap sensor is free / included ).

eBAUMANN
08-14-2016, 05:12 PM
The comparison is like comparing VW to Audi. Apples and oranges. The platforms are similar, but the workings and fit and finish of the Audi ( Dura Ace ) are far superior.

As for the Garmin connection, do you know what information is transferred? IMHO, knowing the battery level(s) at any given time and gear ratios is more than just " neat ". And, there are diagnostic features as well that are shown in the Garmin.

I'd love to take a poll and see how many DI2 owners would be interested in the D Fly sensor if they knew exactly all that it did and was free ( ETap sensor is free / included ).

I have 3 di2 bikes and I have a brand new dfly that's been sitting in the box since I bought it, mainly because I don't have a huge NEED for it and I haven't gotten around to buying a little shorty cable for it.

That said, I charge the battery like 3 times a season, knowing the exact real-time battery level is completely extraneous as almost any amount of battery will get you home to your charger. How many stories have you heard from di2 owners stranded due do a completely dead battery? I've heard exactly zero.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2016, 05:21 PM
I have 3 di2 bikes and I have a brand new dfly that's been sitting in the box since I bought it, mainly because I don't have a huge NEED for it and I haven't gotten around to buying a little shorty cable for it.

That said, I charge the battery like 3 times a season, knowing the exact real-time battery level is completely extraneous as almost any amount of battery will get you home to your charger. How many stories have you heard from di2 owners stranded due do a completely dead battery? I've heard exactly zero.

It does ALOT more than just show battery level(s). Connect it and delve into some of the screens-features-diagnostic features. I think you will be very impressed!

Enjoy!

PS: it does a lot more with DI2 than ETap, btw.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2016, 05:45 AM
Or, skip all the malarkey of running wires, connectors and mounting issues and just get Etap

After using it awhile, I firmly believe it is a solution to a problem that does exist!

The blip shifters can be paced in numerous locations ( unlike the DI2 remote shifters) and you don't need to purchase or mount a sensor for communication with your Garmin. ETap just does that seamlessly.

Rather walk..:Dkidding, glad you like yer rig..But it's using those ugly wires!!!

Cicli
08-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Are there any "knock off" parts to be aware of?
I see some kits come with a bunch of different wires in different lengths. Usually only the cheap stuff ships with more than you need.

SoCalSteve
08-15-2016, 08:00 AM
Rather walk..:Dkidding, glad you like yer rig..But it's using those ugly wires!!!

Except for brake housing, no wires are showing at all. The blip shifter wires are completely hidden under the bar tape.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Except for brake housing, no wires are showing at all. The blip shifter wires are completely hidden under the bar tape.

I know Steve, I know...:rolleyes:

livingminimal
08-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Except that wires, connectors, and mounting "issues" aren't really a problem or issues.

I've been running Di2 across multiple bikes since Spring 2013. I've never had a single problem with it. Nothing.

These things are not a fair trade off for:
SRAMS stellar first gen reputation
Only going to a 28 in the rear (except if you eff with the limit screw, not recommended by SRAM)
No hydro disc (though it looks like SRAM athletes will be on it for Cross season)
Slower shifting

When Shimano does it, and does it better, I might be interested.

chiasticon
08-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Except that wires, connectors, and mounting "issues" aren't really a problem or issues.I believe the point SoCalSteve was making was related to retrofitting a bike not plumbed for electronic shifting. in that case, it's clear that eTap is a better solution; at least, unless you hate Sram more than the idea of drilling holes in your bike, I guess...

anyway, do we know if the OP has a bike plumbed for electronic shifting or not? if so, just pick up an ultegra (or DA if you have the cash) shift kit from Merlin or Ribble or wherever. it will have everything you need inside. it's pretty straightforward to install. a bit of a PITA trying to move cables around internally, but you only have to do it once. (hint: magnets are your friend.)

Cicli
08-15-2016, 09:13 AM
I believe the point SoCalSteve was making was related to retrofitting a bike not plumbed for electronic shifting. in that case, it's clear that eTap is a better solution; at least, unless you hate Sram more than the idea of drilling holes in your bike, I guess...

anyway, do we know if the OP has a bike plumbed for electronic shifting or not? if so, just pick up an ultegra (or DA if you have the cash) shift kit from Merlin or Ribble or wherever. it will have everything you need inside. it's pretty straightforward to install. a bit of a PITA trying to move cables around internally, but you only have to do it once. (hint: magnets are your friend.)

The bike is set up for either mechanical or DI. Internal routing and all the mounts are available for a direct install.
It will likely be Ultegra. I dont need to save the weight.
shram is a no way, no how, no never. It looks great on Steves bike though.