PDA

View Full Version : This just in.... TV tour ratings down 50%

Grant McLean
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Or maybe the world cup has something to do with it??????????

g

OLN Sizing Up Impact of the Post-Lance Era

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/sports/othersports/07sandomir.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=login&oref=slogin

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Published: July 7, 2006
When OLN acquired the rights to the Tour de France in 2001, Lance Armstrong had already won two in a row. As he won each of the next five, OLN built its coverage increasingly around him. He was the "cyclysm," the star of "The Lance Chronicles," the face of a channel emerging from its hunting and fishing roots, the star of a network without any others.

Multimedia

Interactive Feature: Tour de France
Your guide to the Tour de France: commentary, stage by stage standings, profiles, complete route and more.

• Because of cycling's low profile in the United States, he dominated his sport more than Michael Jordan did pro basketball and Tiger Woods does golf. For casual viewers, there was no other face of cycling than Lance.

Now that Armstrong is in retirement, his impact on OLN is even clearer now that the network must rely on possible American successors whose first names don't resonate like Lance: Levi, George and Floyd.

Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472. At the same time, online traffic at olntv.com has spiked with the addition of more video.

A further look at past trends shows that viewership for the first four days swelled by 135 percent, from 171,975 in 2002 to 403,802 last year.

If the downward pattern continues through the Tour's end, Armstrong's impact will exceed what happened to the N.B.A. finals after Jordan's first two retirements. In 1994, viewership of the Knicks-Houston series tumbled 37 percent to 17.3 million. In 1999, the Knicks-Spurs finals slumped by 45 percent to 16 million. The league has not approached the Jordan peaks, leading to the obvious conclusion that the Airness Era was a great statistical aberration as, almost certainly, the Armstrong years were

Gavin Harvey, the president of OLN, said the Tour's decline in viewership through Stage 4 "is within the range of where we thought it would be."

"We've talked about this for two years, both the Lance effect and the post-Lance era," he said.

Armstrong's absence is compounded by the Spanish investigation into a drug ring that forced the withdrawals from the Tour of several competitors, including the cyclists who finished second (Ivan Basso), third (Jan Ullrich), fourth (Francisco Mancebo) and fifth (Alexander Vinokourov) to Armstrong last year. Vinokourov was not implicated in the investigation, but the ouster of five of his teammates left him with too small a team to continue.

"As a business executive, we all have to deal with doping in sports," Harvey said. "You can't wish for clean competition and push for clean athletes, then all be dramatically disappointed when certain athletes are pushed out of these races. We have to move on and focus on what we have."

Watching the Tour now is a peculiar experience, with no Lance in the pack. Even if he was not leading, he was the center of attention with the OLN crew. Where was he? How would he do in the mountains? How fast would he be in the sprints? Yet, at the same time, there is normalcy, the leveling of a field that had been skewed so long that it obscured the larger Tour universe.

Bob Roll, an OLN commentator, agreed that having Armstrong win every Tour since the seventh year of the Clinton administration was a wonderful albatross for a network that reaches just under 70 million homes. "It was a windfall, like winning the lottery," he said by phone from Vitré, France, where today's Stage 6 will end. "There's no way to overcalculate his impact on the American audience. Without Lance, we wouldn't be where we are."

But, he added: "From a competitive, tactical standpoint, it will perhaps be more exciting without him, because you can't identify an unequivocal favorite. Rather than chase one story, there are 5 to 10 stories to tell."

OLN took heat from hard-core fans, said Harvey, for morphing into the Only Lance Network. (Soon it will change, simply, into Versus.)

In its first post-Lance Tour, OLN appears to have improved and balanced its coverage. By being less focused on Armstrong, it has moved beyond its yellow jersey fixation to enhanced interest in the green one (for best sprinter), the white (best young rider) and polka dot (best mountain climber).

The graphics have also improved to keep better track of the riders' standings and to provide enhanced readings of several cyclists' heartbeats, power output and stress caused by the race.

• Armstrong has not disappeared from OLN. He is still there in reruns of "The Lance Chronicles" and in segments from a recent interview that will be inserted into each day's coverage. And Armstrong is a major part of a sweepstakes created by the Discovery Channel, which sponsors the team he raced for and partly owns, which will culminate in a contestant joining the Discovery team for the U.S. Pro Championship in September.

Meanwhile, the absent Lance did not keep CBS Sports away from the Tour; its Sunday coverage will return, with Bob Neumeier as the host.

"The race keeps rolling," Roll said, "and Lance would be the first to say that time waits for no one."

More Articles in Sports »

atmo
07-08-2006, 09:13 PM
snipped
mebbe they'll comp gerard and phil some extra spots atmo.

obtuse
07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
snipped ratings down blah blah blah»

man- and roy munson is watching that 'ish twice.

obtuse

Big Dan
07-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I really dig those re-runs of "The Lance Chronicles"............. :eek:

Grant McLean
07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
It was a tough first week of July for American sports fans.

Andre Agasi retires at Wimbledon
A german guy in an Italian car wins some race at Indy
France has some of the best soccer players?
And that good ole boy from Texas (not that one) has the
nerve to keep his wheels hung up!

g

obtuse
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
It was a tough first week of July for American sports fans.

Andre Agasi retires at Wimbledon
A german guy in an Italian car wins some race at Indy
France has some of the best soccer players?
And that good ole boy from Texas (not that one) has the
nerve to keep his wheels hung up!

g

yeah but winnipeg quarterback kevin glenn had a stellar performance on saturday, torching the edmonton secondary for 368 yards and three touchdowns on 15 of 24 passing. americans still dominate where it matters imho bro.

obtuse

Avispa
07-08-2006, 09:33 PM
If a Gringo doesn't win the Tour this year, we will be watching it on cycling.tv in 2007, unless of course, the Almighty L. comes back to race.... And rescues the sport!!!

obtuse
07-08-2006, 09:34 PM
i'll be watching kevin glenn dominate the edmonton secondary.

obtuse

go america.

Grant McLean
07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
yeah but winnipeg quarterback kevin glenn had a stellar performance on saturday, torching the edmonton secondary for 368 yards and three touchdowns on 15 of 24 passing. americans still dominate where it matters imho bro.

obtuse

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/07/08/cfl-win-tor.html

slowgoing
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Haven't watched a minute of it this year. The only thing I miss is Kristen Gum.

onekgguy
07-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Do you suppose that Lance is kicking himself for not sticking around another year and winning 8?

Kevin

The Spider
07-09-2006, 01:44 AM
only watch when your winning?

We're just as bad down here, soon as Australia was removed from the world cup....it no longer existed for so many of us.

We are a fickle lot.

And the expectation of winning isn't the problem, it's how people cope with their favorite sportstar / team filing that casues me concern. If you get angry cause Boonen hasn't won a stage well it's too much emotional investment.

slowgoing
07-09-2006, 03:01 AM
Hey, my favorite doper is faster than your favorite doper.

swalburn
07-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Actually, I have probably been watching the tour even closer this year. In years past, I didn't care at all about the flat stages and just wait for the time trials and mountain stages. However, in the last year I became a huge classics fan, and now I can't stop watching these sprinters fly around like mad men. Don't get me wrong, I'm still mad Boonen hasn't picked up a stage, but these guys have been incredible. I care just as much about the green jersey now as I do the yellow. No matter what's going on, I will be watching.

keno
07-09-2006, 05:55 AM
I've got my excel spreadsheet program up and running, all of my calculators out and I'm trying to determine a method to "overcalculate" Lance's influence on the Tour. I happen to be a Bobke fan, and that's a keeper.

I suppose a reference to the nth year of the Clinton administration is ok as it seems like some time ago. He could have used the countdown to Y2K, or gas at $1.43 a gallon, or the year Gladiator came out, or Elian Gonzalez returning to Cuba, which seem much further back to me, but what the heck.

keno

CNY rider
07-09-2006, 06:36 AM
i'll be watching kevin glenn dominate the edmonton secondary.

obtuse

go america.

Do they show the "Flutie Chronicles" during the game?

Kevan
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
- televise the police raids, "COPS" style. When the Spanish cops were doing their raid on the doctor's offices OLN should have been there, riding inside one of the cop cars, feeding off the anticipation of a big drug bust.

- Add sex appeal. Course, based on the shirtless photos of some of the riders recently viewed here, this effort will be more difficult to accomplish. Maybe using CBS's mastery of adding brief exposés on the individual's day-to-day life and training we can better understand and appreciate the talents of the podium girls.

- Violence. If there is one thing that wets the American public’s visual appetite, it's the sight of a good pounding and blood. I suggest that the tour organizers add a new jersey to the mix. How about an all red jersey identifying the most physically aggressive rider in the peleton? Winner is determined by how many fellow cyclists they knock from their perch while remaining upright. Extra points of course would be added for mowing down fans too.

OLN, I am available to assist you as a consultant should you need additional suggestions for program format. Let’s talk.

gone
07-09-2006, 07:53 AM
- televise the police raids, "COPS" style. When the Spanish cops were doing their raid on the doctor's offices OLN should have been there, riding inside one of the cop cars, feeding off the anticipation of a big drug bust.

- Add sex appeal. Course, based on the shirtless photos of some of the riders recently viewed here, this effort will be more difficult to accomplish. Maybe using CBS's mastery of adding brief exposés on the individual's day-to-day life and training we can better understand and appreciate the talents of the podium girls.

- Violence. If there is one thing the wets the American public’s visual appetite, it's the site of a good pounding and blood. I suggest that the tour organizers add a new jersey to the mix. How about an all red jersey identifying the most physically aggressive rider in the peleton? Winner is determined by how many fellow cyclists they knock from their perch while remaining upright. Extra points of course would be added for mowing down fans too.

OLN, I am available to assist you as a consultant should you need additional suggestions for program format. Let’s talk.
Also, change your name to "versus" - that'll help. Honest.

stevep
07-09-2006, 09:35 AM
could it be..the drug story?

72gmc
07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
it's the drug story, but it's also that it's the wrong kind of drugs. cycling needs the equivalent of a blasted bode miller partying with the groupies in the olympic village. hazy night-vision footage etc.

in other words, kevan's on to something here. or on something...