PDA

View Full Version : Newb tips: cutting crabon fork

paredown
08-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Don't have the nifty Park tool guide...

Anyone want to share pro tips on how to cut without screwing up?

(I have a wide assortment of implements of destruction/power tools & hand tools, but have never cut a carbon fork before.)

TIA,
Dean

ColonelJLloyd
08-12-2016, 10:45 AM
At the very least use a cheap clamping box. Personally, I wouldn't cut any steerer without the Park tool. I also use new blades for carbon steerers as it just makes me feel better.

Cicli
08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Don't have the nifty Park tool guide...

Anyone want to share pro tips on how to cut without screwing up?

(I have a wide assortment of implements of destruction/power tools & hand tools, but have never cut a carbon fork before.)

TIA,
Dean

I use two WIDE hose clamps and cut with a fine tooth hacksaw. It works perfect every time and always comes out straight.

John H.
08-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Make sure to tape the steerer with painters tape. (On the downhill side)- this helps keep the carbon from splintering on the last cut.

Cameron
08-12-2016, 10:55 AM
It's worth it to get the park tool clamping guide tool. Makes it so much easier to get a clean, straight cut. Every time I use mine I'm glad I bought it. Makes it a painless job. Just mark the steerer, clamp it in the guide, then mount the whole think to my bench vice on the tab on the tool and cut.

For carbon steerers I use a fine tooth hacksaw blade (32tpi) that I only use for that. Gives a nice smooth even cut.

I've gone the 2 hose clamp route as a cheater guide and while it works, it's just not for me. Another cheater method if you don't want to buy the tool is to use an old stem as your guide to create a straight cut.

Something else to think about is that the tool is useful for more than just steerers. I use mine for trimming down bars and seatposts when required too. You'll not regret getting the tool.

eddief
08-12-2016, 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflE5p3OPgM

EightySixer
08-12-2016, 10:58 AM
If you have an old stem you don't mind marring up that'll work as a decent at home guide. One wrap of painter's tape around the steer where you are cutting it, clamp the stem on, chop.

measure twice, cut once. Or measure five times.

I used this method a few weeks ago, no fraying clean cut. I have an expander plug with a lip for the over the stem spacer to sit, if that doesn't suit you take a few extra mm off for the top cap to compress. I always felt better having the expander fully structurally supporting the steer tube though.

Dude
08-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Tape helps. Additionally, you can also cut the steerer tube about 3/4 of the way and then rotate 90degrees so that you are actually cutting perpendicular to the remaining bit to cut.

Similar to what was mentioned but I have used two headset spacers as guides.

Also, a good LBS should be able to do this in less than 5 minutes and for less than $20 (or so). Call ahead and ask them if they have time - cheaper than getting the guide and supporting local business yada yada.

thwart
08-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Miter box looks more difficult to use than the Park tool. Nashbar had offered (maybe still does) a cheaper version as well.

Dead Man
08-12-2016, 11:12 AM

For being from Enve, that sure wasn't very pro...

I guess holding it all together in a mitre box could work.. Sounds sloppy and aggravating as the steer is surely to tend to dance around every forward stroke.. Why wouldn't you just chuck it up?

Hammering the race on.... Do it on carpet? No way.. You do it with your hand up under the crown- no hammering on the fork ends!

That final sanding... I sand a bevel on my steerers too, but not by sanding the whole top of the damn steerer.. Angle the tube and pull it across a sheet of sand paper, so only the bevel is getting "beveled"... Or any other method that doesn't sand up the bearing part of the steerer.

Joxster
08-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Let a bike shop do it, if they get it wrong they got to sort it.

eddief
08-12-2016, 11:32 AM
that's why they invented the tool. I have mitered and used the tool. The tool is the tool.

And I've used the bike shop...who cut on the wrong side of tape I marked it with. They bought me a new Enve fork.

chiasticon
08-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I use the park tool. worth the price, for getting clean cuts and I've used it enough that it's paid for itself anyway.

I'm also surprised at the Enve $5 mitre box method, but it appears to work well...

anyone ever cut one while still attached to the bike? https://youtu.be/NMDR2nswxNE?t=1m12s

FlashUNC
08-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Just eyeball it. You've got this. Believe in yourself.

Dead Man
08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

First steerer I ever cut, I put a 2.5mm spacer under the stem, scored the cut line with a pocket knife, pulled the steerer off and zapped that mofo free-hand with a sawzall. Worked fine.. Tiny bit crooked, but less than 2.5mm worth, so it didn't matter.

Was alloy, though.. I wouldn't do that with carbon.

ColonelJLloyd
08-12-2016, 01:15 PM
You have a katana in your tool box right?

paredown
08-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks all--I'm leaning towards getting the guide now (pretty cheap on Amazon), although the various suggestions for cutting guides (clamp or old stem) are great.

dean

paredown
08-12-2016, 01:20 PM

I've seen construction projects where this was the modus opperandi--only works if you are really, really good and have years of experience. Most times, not so much.

Best guy I saw was a boat-builder repairing a hand laid up strip hull on an old boat--old school with pounded oakum in the seams. He'd eyeball the gap where he was replacing a strip, walk along it with his little folding ruler muttering to himself, and then go to the bandsaw and rip a piece to fit, compound curves and all. Come back, test fit, a little planing, test fit, a touch more and it would drop in place with perfect clearances.

I'm not that good--not at bikes, houses or cars...