PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vanagon Westfalia

stephenmarklay
08-12-2016, 07:21 AM
I have one that I have not had on the road for a long time. Its a nice van and I have vowed to get it on the road for 2017.

Do any of you have one? I am dreaming about driving it out to events afar as I really want to do more adventurous riding to include fond events etc.

I would love to see pics for inspiration.

I also have a Vanagon specific bike carrier (fiamma I think) which I have never used.

ExCiTeD:banana:

guido
08-12-2016, 07:29 AM
I have lusted after them for years. Unfortunately the ones that turn up around here are either hugely beat and rusted out or insanely expensive...
Someday...

shovelhd
08-12-2016, 07:29 AM
I've never owned one but one of my best friends has over 350k on his. Second engine and transaxle. Have fun with yours.

Hilltopperny
08-12-2016, 07:30 AM
No pics, but used to roll around in a 1984 vanagon that was very close in appearance to the mystery machine. I loved it, but I suggest having tools and spare parts stored in it and some mechanic skills for long trips to be safe. Parts are hard to source at times and not every mechanic will work on them. :beer:

oldpotatoe
08-12-2016, 07:59 AM
I have one that I have not had on the road for a long time. Its a nice van and I have vowed to get it on the road for 2017.

Do any of you have one? I am dreaming about driving it out to events afar as I really want to do more adventurous riding to include fond events etc.

I would love to see pics for inspiration.

I also have a Vanagon specific bike carrier (fiamma I think) which I have never used.

ExCiTeD:banana:

Not a camper but I had a 1987 Syncro that I bought new and I owned for 10 years..great van, could take on almost anything..great in he snow..should have kept it.

PeregrineA1
08-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Two friends have Vanagon's with Subaru power. One is a Westy Synchro. That thing is awesome. 80 mph up a mountain pass. Reasonable dirt road ability. Great camping tool.

The Subaru power fits well, sounds right, and solves the one problem from the factory-power.

guido
08-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Two friends have Vanagon's with Subaru power. One is a Westy Synchro. That thing is awesome. 80 mph up a mountain pass. Reasonable dirt road ability. Great camping tool.

The Subaru power fits well, sounds right, and solves the one problem from the factory-power.

Interesting!

paredown
08-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I was so eager to get my hands on a multi-use van, and I read a lot about the Subaru conversions. It solves the worst problems, since that first gen water cooled engine in the Vanagon was not very robust, and adds the extra horsepower that makes driving a little more comfortable. Any that I found in the NE were pretty rough and rusted so I did not pursue it, but if yours is in good shape, I think it would be a cool project. There is lots of online support to guide you through the process--same for just restoring it as is.

There are companies selling engineered kits for the conversion, and others who will manage the whole process for you:
Kennedy Engineering : http://www.kennedyenginc.com/pages/subaruvanagongen.aspx

Rocky Mountain Westy: kits or conversions: http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/category_s/127.htm

john903
08-12-2016, 09:32 AM
We had a 81 it was the last of the air cooled Vanagons before the waterboxer.
To sum it up our relationship was a love/hate kinda thing we loved it when it ran and hated it when it didn't. Strangely I still really like them, but if I ever decided to get another I would get one or buy one with the Subaru engine conversion. My cousin has a Syncro with the Subaru conversion and it is a totally different animal. The conversion can be expensive but if you already have the van it may an option for you.

Steve in SLO
08-12-2016, 10:03 AM
VW 1.8T and 1.9 TDI engines also make good conversions.

JAGI410
08-12-2016, 10:07 AM
I would love to have one! However the #vanlife tax these days is ridiculous. What was a $2k van a few years ago is $12k!

notsew
08-12-2016, 10:21 AM
VW 1.8T and 1.9 TDI engines also make good conversions.

Yeah my buddy put a TDI in his and its awesome. His fuel economy is fantastic. Actually, he went in a pretty backwards way, started with a standard vanagon, put in the diesel, then decided he wanted a pop-top, so he bought a beater and cut the roof off of it and welded it on to his diesel. Then he built out the inside custom. Oh and its got a nice diesel heater for those winter nights.

My dad has a Eurovan version, which gets less love, but I think is a lot more reliable in many ways. We borrowed it last year for a pretty amazing trip to Banff and environs. Last week he told us he wants to get rid of it, so looks like we are going to be buying a van pretty soon!

velofinds
08-12-2016, 11:01 AM
I love these and wouldn't mind crossing the country in one someday.

Here are a couple I've seen out in the wild -- I believe both are Syncros?

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7442/27818976781_d585f7348c_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7473/28116490721_069c2418d6_b.jpg

gasman
08-12-2016, 11:45 AM
I had a buddy in college who had one and did two road trips with him. His rich, dealership owning father a Porsche 911 motor in that sucker. Thing hauled ass even uphill. Man, i would love to have that now.

Peter B
08-12-2016, 11:54 AM
No pics, but used to roll around in a 1984 vanagon that was very close in appearance to the mystery machine. I loved it, but I suggest having tools and spare parts stored in it and some mechanic skills for long trips to be safe. Parts are hard to source at times and not every mechanic will work on them. :beer:

I had an '84 Wolfsburg Vanagon; fitted snap-in curtains, one-pull rear seat conversion to bed, a few other goodies. Traveled all over Canada and Alaska in that. I pulled the mid seat and could hold a small dance inside. :banana:

It was great for road trips and camping, surprisingly tight turning radius, good clearance, did well on fire roads. But woefully underpowered and ongoing issues with that waterboxer (leaking head gaskets, corrosion). :crap: Ended up w/ a factory rebuilt engine and dealer overhauled transaxle. A connecting rod decided to take a shortcut out of the case at 27k miles, a scant few thousand miles out of warranty. :no:

If I had it to do again I'd do the Subaru swap and about double the power and reliability. Then it would have been fantastic.

cachagua
08-12-2016, 11:57 AM
To me, there is no more useful vehicle than a Vanagon -- there are faster cars, perhaps prettier ones, ones that get better mileage or are more economical, and for sure there is no Vanagon with touch-screen satellite-backup-camera cocktail mixing in the dash. But there is nothing close to a Vanagon for adaptability and all-purpose usefulness.

My only reservation about the Westy is it undoes a lot of that usefulness. It narrows the Vanagon's capabilities a great deal, making it into a special-purpose vehicle. Want to drive up in the hills for a day's ride? All that camping gear is wrecking your mileage. Want to bring home a few sheets of plywood? Nope, got a closet in the way. Et cetera, et cetera. *Except* when you're going camping, you might as well be driving a Camry with bad valves.

I think the smart choice is to get a passenger van, and when you want to go camping, load your camping gear in it. If you want to sleep on the roof, build yourself a platform up there and pitch your tent on it. And when eight of you are going to the rock 'n roll concert together, you can go together, and when you buy a roomful of furniture, you can carry it home.

The engine conversions are generally great improvements, although you want to choose one that uses the stock hatch, instead of poking up a few inches from the deck. Most current ones have solved that problem. There's Kennedy, mentioned above, there's Bostig, (www.bostig.com) who do a very nice Ford transplant, and there are numerous other outfits doing various conversions. Seems like it can't be long before more Vanagons have new motors than have stock ones!

It's unfortunately true that prices have exploded recently. I think what's happening is that nearly all the remaining vans have gotten into the hands of enthusiasts, so everybody who's got one really loves it and doesn't want to part with it. But don't be discouraged, there are still deals here and there -- I got a '91 this past year with a Subaru 2.5l in it for a great price. Even with what I put into suspension, tires, and a spankin' stainless exhaust system, I came in under $15K. Much better on gas, cleaner emissions, and Interstate on-ramps no longer scare me.

Anarchist
08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Always wanted one. Never had one.

Now that the kids are gone I could maybe convince my wife, up until I look at the prices for them ...... used.

rockdude
08-13-2016, 08:58 AM
I had a 76 and 82 Westfalia. Over that 10 years I loved driving both of them both but hated the cost of keeping them running. The joke was it not if you are going but where. The best day of owning them was the day I sold them and got a Sportsmobile.

Schmed
08-13-2016, 10:02 AM
I looked at them for a while, but as Guido said, nice ones are insanely expensive. You see a lot running around Boulder, CO and the mountains.

I decided to go for the XL version, though:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/Sprinter/VANvan%20-%201_zpsik0xtvzq.jpg

bloody sunday
08-13-2016, 11:19 AM

they're also outrageously expensive

cachagua
08-13-2016, 12:07 PM
They're also outrageously expensive...

Compared to what?

Serious question. A bicycle's outrageously expensive compared to a shopping cart, or a wheelchair, but you can't do the things with those that you can with a bike. What would you buy that a) costs that much less than a properly set up Vanagon, *and* b) you can do with it what you'd do with a Vanagon?

I ask in all sincerity, because if I knew of such a vehicle I'd very much consider one.

(edit: did you mean a Syncro Westy in particular? I was trying to think about a "regular" Vanagon again. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.)

skijoring
08-13-2016, 03:01 PM
..this California one looks ready for a conversion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/28335859234/

stephenmarklay
08-13-2016, 05:59 PM
to me, there is no more useful vehicle than a vanagon -- there are faster cars, perhaps prettier ones, ones that get better mileage or are more economical, and for sure there is no vanagon with touch-screen satellite-backup-camera cocktail mixing in the dash. But there is nothing close to a vanagon for adaptability and all-purpose usefulness.

My only reservation about the westy is it undoes a lot of that usefulness. It narrows the vanagon's capabilities a great deal, making it into a special-purpose vehicle. Want to drive up in the hills for a day's ride? All that camping gear is wrecking your mileage. Want to bring home a few sheets of plywood? Nope, got a closet in the way. Et cetera, et cetera. *except* when you're going camping, you might as well be driving a camry with bad valves.

I think the smart choice is to get a passenger van, and when you want to go camping, load your camping gear in it. If you want to sleep on the roof, build yourself a platform up there and pitch your tent on it. And when eight of you are going to the rock 'n roll concert together, you can go together, and when you buy a roomful of furniture, you can carry it home.

The engine conversions are generally great improvements, although you want to choose one that uses the stock hatch, instead of poking up a few inches from the deck. Most current ones have solved that problem. There's kennedy, mentioned above, there's bostig, (www.bostig.com) who do a very nice ford transplant, and there are numerous other outfits doing various conversions. Seems like it can't be long before more vanagons have new motors than have stock ones!

It's unfortunately true that prices have exploded recently. I think what's happening is that nearly all the remaining vans have gotten into the hands of enthusiasts, so everybody who's got one really loves it and doesn't want to part with it. But don't be discouraged, there are still deals here and there -- i got a '91 this past year with a subaru 2.5l in it for a great price. Even with what i put into suspension, tires, and a spankin' stainless exhaust system, i came in under $15k. Much better on gas, cleaner emissions, and interstate on-ramps no longer scare me.

pics!

bloody sunday
08-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Compared to what?

Serious question. A bicycle's outrageously expensive compared to a shopping cart, or a wheelchair, but you can't do the things with those that you can with a bike. What would you buy that a) costs that much less than a properly set up Vanagon, *and* b) you can do with it what you'd do with a Vanagon?

I ask in all sincerity, because if I knew of such a vehicle I'd very much consider one.

(edit: did you mean a Syncro Westy in particular? I was trying to think about a "regular" Vanagon again. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.)

I'm speaking of a Subaru powered syncro westy. I actually really love them but they're out of reach for a fun camp toy. Anything that comes close to the power and utility is a sprinter but those are even more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cachagua
08-14-2016, 01:45 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. Absolutely true, the Syncro Westies have always commanded the highest prices, and with an engine conversion (and doubtless a lot of other upgrades) what people get for them now is ridiculous. Instead of "outrageously expensive", should we say "prohibitively"? For me it is!

I was thinking some more about this while I was riding today, and the Sprinter ought to be a candidate. And yet the ones I've driven don't have the car-like feel of a Vanagon (at least, one with good tires, suspension, and alignment). Also no 4wd, that I've ever heard of. Not as easy to see out of, harder to park... a compromise at best.

Eurovan? Haven't driven one. They don't seem to inspire the enthusiasm that Vanagons do, but there are people who love them. Again, no 4wd, and I'd feel reluctant to take them into some of the terrain I've gotten Vanagons through, even if they had it -- much less ground clearance. But if you don't go bashing around the backwoods much, that's no disadvantage. What would one do, if one fancied, to perk a Eurovan up like the Subaru does for the Vanagon? Might be kind of a long run for a short slide, since they weren't so critically underpowered to begin with. Could you improve its mileage and reliability some? I wonder if anyone's tried the 4-cyl. Ford.

2wheelwill
08-14-2016, 02:08 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160814/b63c759b2fa065230493e0c7b8d1e7ce.jpg

For those of you with kids...we love our VW based Rialta. Sleeps 4, seats 8, full kitchen and bath. The VR6 engine is never short on power and 19 MPG!

oldpotatoe
08-14-2016, 05:54 AM

The other, easier, solution is VW made inline 4, maybe even the 2.5L 5 cylinder may fit. The 'only' problem with the subaru power, I'm told by a guy who did it, is the complete wiring harness that's required.

stephenmarklay
08-14-2016, 05:56 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160814/b63c759b2fa065230493e0c7b8d1e7ce.jpg

For those of you with kids...we love our VW based Rialta. Sleeps 4, seats 8, full kitchen and bath. The VR6 engine is never short on power and 19 MPG!

My neighbor had one. I would own one.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Compared to what?

Not uncommon to see new engine Vanagons north of $35,000..pretty expensive for something that cost about 1/3 of that new...

stephenmarklay
08-14-2016, 05:59 AM
The other, easier, solution is VW made inline 4, maybe even the 2.5L 5 cylinder may fit. The 'only' problem with the subaru power, I'm told by a guy who did it, is the complete wiring harness that's required.

True. One popular conversion, the Bostig, mentioned above uses a ford Zetec motor out of a focus. They get like $6500 for all the bits and then you have to go find a motor :eek:

When I am in my van it is not to get anywhere fast. As long as I can keep the motor running I will keep the original.

paredown
08-14-2016, 09:40 AM
One thing I noticed when I was hot on the multi-use van idea is that there does seem to be a wide variance in pricing. Of the ones that I looked at--in no particular order--Eurovan MV, Weekender (Eurovan pop-top), base Eurovan, Vanagon, Vanagon Westfalia--prices tended to be insane in California, and high in more outdoor-oriented states like OR, WA & CO.

On the east coast (so long as you could find one that did not have carcinogenic rust) the prices were much less on average. I even saw a full Subie conversion languish on the local Craigslist, probably because most people had no idea what it was.

One big problem is that VW decided that they could not compete in the truck space (high US tariffs), didn't have American manufacturing (or assembly like Sprinter) to get around that and decided not to bring the Type 4 van to the US market, which artificially inflated the prices of the few years of Eurovans (Type 3) we did get--1993, and then the few years with the VR6s--1997-2003. The Rialtos and other Winnebago conversions are the only VW vans on US soil from 1994-6.

The 1993 Eurovans are idiosyncratic and prone to rust with the solid 5 cyl Audi-derived motor; the later Eurovans are hella expensive to work on--as my local (and well respected) VW indie likes to say, 'who was the genius that decided it was a good idea to shoehorn a de-tuned passenger engine into a van?" And we never did see the diesel power plants that made the Type 4s the stalwarts that they are in Europe.

It pretty much leaves you with five choices IMO:
1. Rebuild a later Vanagon with Subaru power;
2. Rebuild a 1993 Eurovan (but accept that the stories of diesel conversion have never prospered) if you can find a non-molested, non-rusted MV or poptop, preferably a manual;
3. Drive a later Eurovan and scrap it when the auto transmission packs it in, or sell it when the timing chains need replacing;
4. save your money and buy a Sprinter
5. Buy a standard minivan like an Odyssey

R3awak3n
08-14-2016, 10:19 AM
I was looking to buy one about 6 years ago, they have gone up in price a crazy amount. Like someone was saying, what was 2k is now 12k and its a rusty pos.

Even rusty, not running campers are going for a lot, just 6 years ago you could get one in pretty great condition for 12/15k (rebuilt engine and no rust or very small amount of it).

stephenmarklay
08-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Not uncommon to see new engine Vanagons north of $35,000..pretty expensive for something that cost about 1/3 of that new...

That must be the syncro (4 wheel drive one). I paid 13k for my van 16 years ago. I found the nicest one that I could at the time. It is 2 wheel drive however. I doubt I have lost any money on it.

PJN
08-14-2016, 12:55 PM
I'll play. I can't find a good photo without hosting another one so here is a link: https://www.instagram.com/p/SWJiJqh7t1/

I have a 1989 syncro Adventurewagen that I converted to a 2.5 Subaru motor using one of the Rocky Mountain Westy kits.

I bought it from some family friends for way under the inflated market in 2008(?). I has some rust and even with all the work I have done it is still a 27 year old vehicle and needs maintenance.

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I don't think I will ever sell it but I also don't think that I would buy/build another one.

If I had the $$$ to buy one in good condition at market value I'd skip the vanagon and buy a sprinter.

csm
08-14-2016, 12:58 PM
I had a 95 Eurovan pop-up that I sold earlier in the year. It was fun but I hardly used it anymore. Ended up getting more than I paid for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Peter B
08-14-2016, 01:21 PM
<snip>

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I don't think I will ever sell it but I also don't think that I would buy/build another one.

If I had the $$$ to buy one in good condition at market value I'd skip the vanagon and buy a sprinter.

As a former Vanagon owner I agree wholeheartedly!

bloody sunday
08-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Sportmobile is another option. 4WD and diesel :D

Don49
08-14-2016, 01:37 PM

As a former Vanagon owner I agree wholeheartedly!

Me too. As the former owner of a 1990 Westfalia I'd never want another. I've camped extensively in a Eurovan but the poptop height is too low for comfortable sleeping. Sportsmobile is the way to go.

cachagua
08-14-2016, 01:58 PM
"Sportsmobile"?

Okay, just googled them. The fat bike of campers.

stephenmarklay
08-14-2016, 01:58 PM
We nearly always had some sort of predicament when we used the van for the first 5 years. Having said that the good memories are better than the bad…

In general a Vanagon is like a boat to me. I spend a lot of money on it and only use it for trips and such. I would not want to use it as a daily driver.

Nothing like going down the road with the screens whistling in the wind for me anyway.

stephenmarklay
08-14-2016, 02:09 PM
I'll play. I can't find a good photo without hosting another one so here is a link: https://www.instagram.com/p/SWJiJqh7t1/

I have a 1989 syncro Adventurewagen that I converted to a 2.5 Subaru motor using one of the Rocky Mountain Westy kits.

I bought it from some family friends for way under the inflated market in 2008(?). I has some rust and even with all the work I have done it is still a 27 year old vehicle and needs maintenance.

Looks cool!

Peter B
08-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Where there's a will (and a large wallet) there's a way.

Still, there is something of a mental/visual dichotomy in watching these things; that shape, that sound, such speed! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X1KRnYvOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoFyOfBhxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olczQaI0xow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVP9tGiqKxA

oldpotatoe
08-15-2016, 05:42 AM
That must be the syncro (4 wheel drive one). I paid 13k for my van 16 years ago. I found the nicest one that I could at the time. It is 2 wheel drive however. I doubt I have lost any money on it.

YUp..I paid about $12,000 in 1987, Syncro Bus, not camper but I ooked at one here for $32,000..Subaru engine and really nice thruout. I also saw one of these in Boulder..which is what I lust after..with a new engine..

stephenmarklay
08-15-2016, 07:13 AM
YUp..I paid about $12,000 in 1987, Syncro Bus, not camper but I ooked at one here for $32,000..Subaru engine and really nice thruout. I also saw one of these in Boulder..which is what I lust after..with a new engine..

Bad A$$

beeatnik
08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
This thing turned up in my neighborhood 2 days ago
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8734/29001676825_ab48f0a599_b.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8642/28715548050_671c2876de_b.jpg

p nut
08-15-2016, 10:51 AM
I was thinking some more about this while I was riding today, and the Sprinter ought to be a candidate. And yet the ones I've driven don't have the car-like feel of a Vanagon (at least, one with good tires, suspension, and alignment). Also no 4wd, that I've ever heard of. Not as easy to see out of, harder to park... a compromise at best....

Sprinters have come in 4WD for a while now, granted only in diesel trim. Nice vehicles, and I would love to own one, but no good reason to justify a non-daily-driver-friendly vehicle for now. Maybe once I have 7 kids...

Old Toyota 4wd vans have a following as well. I have no idea what kind of prices they're pulling, but perhaps they may be a better buy than the VW, although not as "cool."

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Toyota-van-4x4.jpg

And speaking of not cool, I wouldn't have problems getting a modern minivan (some even come in awd): Still lots of room, more reliable, and MUCH more safe. Some have even "Westfalia'ed" it:

http://www.bestcarinf.com/manufacturers/toyota/toyota-sienna/toyota-sienna-camper-van/toyota-sienna-camper-van-2.jpg

Schmed
08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
4WD sprinters are $$$ ($10k over RWD).

Unless you are going seriously off-road, I can't see how to justify the expense, weight, lower fuel economy of 4x4. Snow tires get me anywhere I need to go, all year round in the sprinter. (32,000 miles per year, all throughout Colorado/Utah).

I took a chance and chose a sprinter for daily driver use. It's a bit weird, but it gets 24 mpg, room for 4 to 7 passengers (depending on how I install seats), 4+ bikes, camping gear, work stuff, and perfect for trail-head changing room duties. It's great to be able to stand up tall and change into biking gear.

Plus, it was less expensive than my previous diesel pickup truck.

The only downsides are that you can't fit into many parking garages or drive throughs, plus you have to budget extra time to answer questions form all sorts of people asking "tell me about your cool van". ;)

AngryScientist
08-15-2016, 11:02 AM
those newer dodge vans are available to rent all over the place. could be a fun way to test the "van life" waters. saw a ton of them out and about when i was in MOAB a few weeks ago.

https://www.jucyusa.com/assets/jucy-home/carousel/usa-rv-rental-hp.jpg

grawk
08-15-2016, 11:06 AM

shut up and take my money

stephenmarklay
08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Sweet bus!

stephenmarklay
08-15-2016, 11:37 AM
those newer dodge vans are available to rent all over the place. could be a fun way to test the "van life" waters. saw a ton of them out and about when i was in MOAB a few weeks ago.

https://www.jucyusa.com/assets/jucy-home/carousel/usa-rv-rental-hp.jpg

Looks like fun. Maybe not a lot of ground clearance for adventures.

AngryScientist
08-15-2016, 11:50 AM
apologizing for the minor thread drift here, but this was posted on the REI website a while back, and really spoke to me. reliability of a 4wd Taco and utility of a camper. i would love to build up something like this sometime.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OHxhyRc1MoE/V2qYD2qB85I/AAAAAAAACfo/Ei2_2OQUMRsKSEiBI02N021MMKVpK-mnwCLcB/s1000/IMG_0770-taco.JPG

Nags&Ducs
08-15-2016, 04:23 PM
I bought my 1987 Vanagon camper in 2006 for $7300 in outstanding condition. It had 145k on it, with a new motor that was replaced at around 125k. At 155k, the odometer went kaput. That was about 3-4 years ago and I probably put less than 3k miles a year on it since buying it. I had the seals around the fuel tank replaced because of a fuel leak. Recently my AC compressor seized and almost caused a fire in the engine compartment. I'm also having issues with the driver's side door lock. But these are the only issues I've had since buying it 10 years ago. The motor is strong - it cruises at 75mph without skipping a beat. It will cruise at 85mph but that's at its upper limit, and while I don't think the engine will give out, the buffeting is uncomfortable and I have to be guarded driving that fast. The white-knuckle driving can get tiring, so I cruise at 60-75 max.

I've added Go Westy 15" wheels and Nokian Hakka C tires, aftermarket shocks, and a Blaze Cut fire suppression kit for the engine comportment. In the next several years, I plan on starting upgrades of: 2" receiver hitch, Yakima roof racks, Fiama awning, fender flares, Go Westy bumpers, GW canvas top, dual round beams, extra battery, and a solar panel system. Someday, I'll also have it repainted and install new window seals when I get the windows tinted. In all, I'll probably drop another $15k into it.

I bought it mainly to have as a vehicle that allowed me to fly into LAX from Denver (was living in Boulder at the time and flying for the CA ANG) and driving up to Pt Mugu for my monthly flying requirements. I'd usually stay 2 or 3 nights so after my flight was done, I'd go to the 24 hr fitness and work out and shower afterwards. For the evening, I'd camp out on the beach at Mugu. It was fun.

I drove the vanagon up to Oregon in 2012 and had it in storage while we lived in Germany from 2012 to 2015. Since being back in Oregon, I use it as my airport car while I'm on trips, and for several camping trips. Recently took it to the Klikitat river for kayaking, and a long weekend in Crater Lake. Camped at Long Beach, WA, Detroit Lake, OR, and Mt Hood as well.

BLUF- I love my vanagon and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. In fact, I'm always looking to get another VW- either a Eurovan, or Rialto. When I head back to Germany next summer, I'm going to look into brining back a Doka as they are 1/4 the price they are here. I'd just have to hassle with converting it to US specs but there are shops that specialize in that. :beer:

stephenmarklay
08-15-2016, 06:08 PM
I bought my 1987 Vanagon camper in 2006 for $7300 in outstanding condition. It had 145k on it, with a new motor that was replaced at around 125k. At 155k, the odometer went kaput. That was about 3-4 years ago and I probably put less than 3k miles a year on it since buying it. I had the seals around the fuel tank replaced because of a fuel leak. Recently my AC compressor seized and almost caused a fire in the engine compartment. I'm also having issues with the driver's side door lock. But these are the only issues I've had since buying it 10 years ago. The motor is strong - it cruises at 75mph without skipping a beat. It will cruise at 85mph but that's at its upper limit, and while I don't think the engine will give out, the buffeting is uncomfortable and I have to be guarded driving that fast. The white-knuckle driving can get tiring, so I cruise at 60-75 max.

I've added Go Westy 15" wheels and Nokian Hakka C tires, aftermarket shocks, and a Blaze Cut fire suppression kit for the engine comportment. In the next several years, I plan on starting upgrades of: 2" receiver hitch, Yakima roof racks, Fiama awning, fender flares, Go Westy bumpers, GW canvas top, dual round beams, extra battery, and a solar panel system. Someday, I'll also have it repainted and install new window seals when I get the windows tinted. In all, I'll probably drop another $15k into it.

I bought it mainly to have as a vehicle that allowed me to fly into LAX from Denver (was living in Boulder at the time and flying for the CA ANG) and driving up to Pt Mugu for my monthly flying requirements. I'd usually stay 2 or 3 nights so after my flight was done, I'd go to the 24 hr fitness and work out and shower afterwards. For the evening, I'd camp out on the beach at Mugu. It was fun.

I drove the vanagon up to Oregon in 2012 and had it in storage while we lived in Germany from 2012 to 2015. Since being back in Oregon, I use it as my airport car while I'm on trips, and for several camping trips. Recently took it to the Klikitat river for kayaking, and a long weekend in Crater Lake. Camped at Long Beach, WA, Detroit Lake, OR, and Mt Hood as well.

BLUF- I love my vanagon and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. In fact, I'm always looking to get another VW- either a Eurovan, or Rialto. When I head back to Germany next summer, I'm going to look into brining back a Doka as they are 1/4 the price they are here. I'd just have to hassle with converting it to US specs but there are shops that specialize in that. :beer:

It's funny about vanagon's in that they kind of become family. Sure they are disfunctional and quirky at times but selling it is like selling a family member. I let mine sit in the garage for 8 years and not once did I think of selling it.

Nags&Ducs
08-15-2016, 06:18 PM
It's funny about vanagon's in that they kind of become family. Sure they are disfunctional and quirky at times but selling it is like selling a family member. I let mine sit in the garage for 8 years and not once did I think of selling it.

Yep!! And it needs a sibling!!! :D:D:D

Nags&Ducs
08-15-2016, 06:32 PM

That's a sweet Doka!

Here is one in DE for €5,000. http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=228997446&scopeId=C&usageType=PRE_REGISTRATION&export=NO_EXPORT&isSearchRequest=true&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&usage=USED&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&minFirstRegistrationDate=1980-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1993-12-31&makeModelVariant1.makeId=25200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=22%2C44%2C45%2C46&makeModelVariant1.modelGroupId=1&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=Doka&pageNumber=1

Nags&Ducs
08-15-2016, 06:33 PM

Drool drool drool.

I want to upgrade my headlights to those.

cnighbor1
08-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I had a 1991 with 135 k
shop I took it to did good service but weren't up to speed on Vanagons
Like at 85K a valve job was due never done
Went on vacation 3 days from home Had an oil leak in oil pump
Lucky there was a shop nearby specializing in them
Decided that has long has doing some needed repairs to had a Go Westy rebuilt engine with 120 hp that would have been $6750
http://www.gowesty.com/
for engines http://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=engine
That mechanic did a full inspection Of course new oil pump plus other items brought the total to over $14,000
At that point I sold it too him and bought a ford escape and drove home in it
Point I am making is that when these get over vsay 125 k there can be a lot of issues to fix
There is a web site for them read some of the comments before buying one
I loved the versatility and ability to sleep four
Slow going up hills

cnighbor1
08-16-2016, 04:59 PM
https://www.outsidevan.com/

cnighbor1
08-16-2016, 05:04 PM
https://www.facebook.com/wayfarervans/

cnighbor1
08-16-2016, 05:06 PM
A Pop top on top of a car or A pickup truck with a pop Up Canopy is another way to go

csm
08-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Ursa Minor converts Elements to pop-ups. I'm thinking pretty seriously about sending mine to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

William
08-17-2016, 08:41 AM
I love camping out in the hard to reach places! :)

William

YoKev
08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
A Pop top on top of a car or A pickup truck with a pop Up Canopy is another way to go
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/329945a99194d9c36827f6aa5753678b.jpg

benc
08-18-2016, 03:34 PM
I've been wondering why this thread never existing here! I've posted Vanagon content here before with very little response! We've had our '85 Westy Weekender for 5 years or so.

Check out my thread on the Samba (like the paceline, but Vanagons) about our recent cross country trip. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641978&highlight=

Here are a few pics for your pleasure:
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1447186.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1447178.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1442617.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1430930.jpg

benc
08-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Dang... Sorry for the monster pics.

stephenmarklay
08-18-2016, 08:04 PM
I love camping out in the hard to reach places! :)

William

Oh snap watch those pots and pans :)

stephenmarklay
08-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Dang... Sorry for the monster pics.

Nice Ben! My 85 is the same color. I have the full camper version and I just joined the samba forums!

I have had the van for 16 years but sat for a long time so this is sort of a reunion for us.

I plan to use this van to hop around and doing some good bike events for sure.

benc
08-18-2016, 08:32 PM
I've seen your posts! Can't believe how great and organized your van and garage look after all that time!

Also, go with the cutting board spacers before you buy the Gowesty springs. I can explain further on the samba thread.

The Westy is the perfect bike race support vehicle. Here's mine from a crit last weekend.

stephenmarklay
08-18-2016, 09:11 PM
I've seen your posts! Can't believe how great and organized your van and garage look after all that time!

Also, go with the cutting board spacers before you buy the Gowesty springs. I can explain further on the samba thread.

The Westy is the perfect bike race support vehicle. Here's mine from a crit last weekend.

Awesome setup!

Thanks for the advice. I am going to concentrate on the important stuff over the next couple of months: fuel, cooling, brakes, and electrical and even tires. That is going to keep me busy for a while. I am going to use my best self control not to buy goodies that I don’t have to have for now.

I like your painted rims. Are those stock and what tires are those?

coylifut
08-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Here's my set up. I've slept in it 10 nights in the last couple of months. I'm a fan boy when it comes to my Tacoma. It If you look closely you can see the kitchen box I made. I have an awning on the driver's side.

stephenmarklay
08-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Here's my set up. I've slept in it 10 nights in the last couple of months. I'm a fan boy when it comes to my Tacoma. It If you look closely you can see the kitchen box I made. I have an awning on the driver's side.

That looks like a really cool setup.

saab2000
08-19-2016, 05:59 PM
I ain't gonna lie... I just want an Airstream Land Yacht.

http://uncrate.com/p/2013/04/airstream-land-yacht-xl.jpg

stephenmarklay
08-19-2016, 06:04 PM
I ain't gonna lie... I just want an Airstream Land Yacht.

http://uncrate.com/p/2013/04/airstream-land-yacht-xl.jpg

They certainly look bada$$. I would like to see inside one.

saab2000
08-19-2016, 06:15 PM

So would I....

My camping experience as a kid involved canvas tents that looked like this. I have no digital copies of the real thing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e7/b9/5d/e7b95dd9fdb134fbc4e981b06e2872e3.jpg

stephenmarklay
08-19-2016, 09:38 PM
So would I....

My camping experience as a kid involved canvas tents that looked like this. I have no digital copies of the real thing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e7/b9/5d/e7b95dd9fdb134fbc4e981b06e2872e3.jpg

We tent camp a few times a year. Nothing wrong with that.

Peter B
08-19-2016, 11:42 PM

Bambi for me.

stephenmarklay
08-20-2016, 05:53 AM
Bambi for me.

Wow I have not really seen inside a modern trailer. Man that is awesome. How much does a trailer like that cost?

I checked out the website: Starting at $44k

Now I am wondering how much the go for used. :)

oldpotatoe
08-20-2016, 06:10 AM
Wow I have not really seen inside a modern trailer. Man that is awesome. How much does a trailer like that cost?

I checked out the website: Starting at $44k

Now I am wondering how much the go for used. :)

Don't forget whatever needed to pull it.