PDA

View Full Version : Driver Apologizes After Road Rage Caught On Camera

enr1co
08-12-2016, 12:07 AM
Glad to see he is taking responsibility.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/08/11/driver-apologizes-after-road-rage-caught-on-camera/

distanc3
08-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Only sorry because he got caught and the video went viral. Don't think there'll be remorse if it wasn't taped.

velotrack
08-12-2016, 12:35 AM
Only sorry because he got caught and the video went viral. Don't think there'll be remorse if it wasn't taped.

Just about.

richspeeds
08-12-2016, 12:45 AM

I would have to agree that it didn't seem like he was apologizing to the cyclist that he threatened, but more so apologizing that the appalling things he had to say were caught on camera. Regardless, I'm glad this caught wind and hope that NBPD follows through with this investigation (doubtful though). The cycling community really stepped up and shared the video to make it viral; saw it on my Facebook feed all day long posted on many different groups.

mavic1010
08-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Well...at least now I know he's not Jack Dunn...and 2nd, if it didn't get on the news, he'd have no remorse at all. Hopefully NB Police will do something. Saying "Sorry" shouldn't excuse stupidity.

rustychisel
08-12-2016, 01:13 AM
+ 1

That's nice. He apologised. [sarcasm alert on].

He's still an effin moron (and will be for the rest of his pathetic life).

Jaq
08-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Wow. Just caught the other thread and the Facebook page. I've ridden that stretch for decades. It can def get crazy.

By the way.... The El Cholo restaurant in the background? That building used to be a mortuary. Dunno how many restaurants have been there over the years, but I could never bring myself to eat in them.

azrider
08-12-2016, 02:15 AM
By the way.... The El Cholo restaurant in the background? That building used to be a mortuary. Dunno how many restaurants have been there over the years, but I could never bring myself to eat in them.

Best btw ever.

Seriously.

sitzmark
08-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Well, he definitely carries a boatload of "issues" in his craw - deep seated beliefs and behavior come out when unchecked by fits of rage.

I do sense that he's remorseful about the encounter with the cyclist. Like most of the (uninformed) motoring community, he thought he was in the right and lashing out against someone he thought was a trampling on his rights. He still might not like the idea of shared use lanes, but I don't think he would have "gone donald trump" on the cyclist if he understood how the lanes are designed to work. Ignorance is a powerful thing ... ... maybe best to stop right here. :)

I'll say I used to travel regularly to our facility in Irvine and for such a beautiful place, people sometimes become ugly and territorial just to navigate the mass of humanity. So Cal certainly not alone in this reality.

flydhest
08-12-2016, 04:31 AM
But can you blame him, really? There were cyclists in Connecticut who were blocking traffic and that pisses off drivers and leads to things like this. Not the driver's fault. He shouldn't have to apologize--cyclists everywhere who break the rules should.

soulspinner
08-12-2016, 05:39 AM
But can you blame him, really? There were cyclists in Connecticut who were blocking traffic and that pisses off drivers and leads to things like this. Not the driver's fault. He shouldn't have to apologize--cyclists everywhere who break the rules should.

If you watched the whole video yes, I can blame him for brushing a guy in the share lane and well the rest were threats and intimidation. This wasn't like what you are describing in Conn.............

spoonrobot
08-12-2016, 06:44 AM

But can you blame him, really? There were motorists in California who were blocking traffic and that pisses off cyclists and leads to things like this. Not the cyclists fault. He shouldn't have to apologize--motorists everywhere who break the rules should.

:banana:

Tony T
08-12-2016, 07:39 AM
So he only apologized because he was caught?
Similar to pro cyclists who apologized when caught in a drug test.

Anyway, the apology seemed sincere, and he was under no obligation to do so.
Big picture — the apology was broadcast by the local news, which educated other drivers about the shared lane law, and more important, reminded them that cameras are everywhere and that their actions could be recorded.

TEMPLE
08-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Uh, yeah, I can blame him. Completely and without reservation. When you get mad about a trivial violation of your "rights", do you go absolutely berserk and act like a monster? It's been said before, and often, but I'll say it again to be pedantic: the consequences of a cyclist breaking the rules are a lot lower than when a motorist does. I'm not absolving cyclists of the requirement to follow the rules, only saying that potential consequences matter.

In any case, I'm not even slightly sympathetic to motorists who get embarrassingly pissed off about having to slow down once in a while to share the road. So, yeah, I blame the driver in the video for not knowing a rule of the road and having an appalling tantrum that made me feel ashamed to be part of the same species as him when I saw it.

numbskull
08-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Haven't we all been in surfer dude's shoes to some degree or the other? I know I have.

Many (most?) people carry frustration, failure, lack of control, and damaged self-esteem around bottled up inside of them concentrated as anger, waiting to come out. Something happens where they feel they are wronged (i.e., they are in the right) and that gives them license to unload (go postal) on someone. The adrenalin rush and release of anger feels great (i.e., congruent) in the moment but is embarrassing and recognized as wrong afterwards. So they apologize and patch things up until the cycle repeats. Because the cycle releases the stress of bottled anger so effectively it becomes a learned (but obviously destructive and counter-productive in the long term) coping mechanism. Even more fascinatingly (and disturbingly), it is a learned mechanism that can be passed on in families. Hell, isn't our current political process is fueled by it?
I don't think surfer dude (or aggressive motorist) has a monopoly on this. We all carry the propensity for it. Some learn to suppress or control it, many don't.

But I think this gets even more interesting because do not I think condemning or even punishing it accomplishes a lot (all that really is is getting angry at angry people). I suspect this is because people become "addicted" to anger (or the feeling that comes from its release) just as easily as they become addicted to drugs or expensive bicycles. It makes them feel good. And that, I think, is the lesson of this facebook reality show............

Anger makes people feel good, it makes Hate OK.

Deedub76
08-12-2016, 08:10 AM
So they apologize and patch things up until the cycle repeats. Because the cycle releases the stress of bottled anger so effectively it becomes a learned (but obviously destructive and counter-productive in the long term) coping mechanism. Even more fascinatingly (and disturbingly), it is a learned mechanism that can be passed on in families. Hell, isn't our current political process is fueled by it?
I don't think surfer dude (or aggressive motorist) has a monopoly on this. We all carry the propensity for it. Some learn to suppress or control it, many don't.

Maybe a good a** beating would help break that cycle.

bcroslin
08-12-2016, 08:27 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/57025683.jpg

Keith A
08-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Let's not make this a repeat of the other discussion on this same issue...otherwise it will end up locked, just like the other thread.
:no:

CampyorBust
08-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I was bummed when the other thread got zapped. Ah this brings me back to my days in SoCal, surfer dude rage is truly something to behold. Doughnut surfer Bobby here is a common Alpha rager type, a bully is another way to put it. Probably an angry drunk that tortures baby blind moles too, probably owns an angry lab-rottie mix, probably owns a tank, probably voted for the shrubbery (twice!), probably drives down the PCH all angry about getting shafted on the special sauce at in and out and not being able to figure out why he is so attracted to the little spinning pyramids, probably hates emo kids, probably probably probably…

Having a word with someone is legal, even using colorful language is legal, however threatening people is not legal.

So I am a bit ESL and I am still trying to figure out what the heck is a huckleberry and why is it bad to be under one? If he is a huckleberry then yes I want nothing to do with it, but otherwise it looks like a nice blueberry like fruit. Hold on a second, if huckleberry is a fruit, and Bobby here is a huckleberry, then Bobby is a fruit, and if a fruit is another name for… Bobby is a hypocrite!

54ny77
08-12-2016, 08:52 AM
A bully responds to only one thing: getting hit right back.

In this instance, it was social media that slapped him silly. His head is probably spinning from that concept.

He's a big guy and obviously picked on a little guy, who either could properly defend himself if it got physical, but maybe not. Instead, caught it all somehow on tape and remained incredibly calm. Couple of particular locals there I know who ride and aren't so little. Doubt surfer dude would've said such things to them. If he did, he'd be eating thru a feeding tube for awhile.

Tony
08-12-2016, 09:05 AM
I was bummed when the other thread got zapped. Ah this brings me back to my days in SoCal, surfer dude rage is truly something to behold. Doughnut surfer Bobby here is a common Alpha rager type, a bully is another way to put it. Probably an angry drunk that tortures baby blind moles too, probably owns an angry lab-rottie mix, probably owns a tank, probably voted for the shrubbery (twice!), probably drives down the PCH all angry about getting shafted on the special sauce at in and out and not being able to figure out why he is so attracted to the little spinning pyramids, probably hates emo kids, probably probably probably…

Having a word with someone is legal, even using colorful language is legal, however threatening people is not legal.

So I am a bit ESL and I am still trying to figure out what the heck is a huckleberry and why is it bad to be under one? If he is a huckleberry then yes I want nothing to do with it, but otherwise it looks like a nice blueberry like fruit. Hold on a second, if huckleberry is a fruit, and Bobby here is a huckleberry, then Bobby is a fruit, and if a fruit is another name for… Bobby is a hypocrite!

:beer:
"You come on to my f@#king land" sounds so similar to the a#$ hole surfers I've encountered in NorCal. Tough in a group, think they can fight just because they watch it on TV or play the video game, sad little boy is what this person is, completely full of sh$t.

Dirtdiggler
08-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Huckleberry is a saying from the movie Tombstone with Doc Holiday (Val Kilmere). I guess quoting that makes him a tough guy..

bikinchris
08-12-2016, 01:31 PM

I had forgotten about that quote from the movie Tombstone. "I am your huckleberry" means "I am the guy you're looking for." in other words, he is ready to fight. Apparently, it was a real expression long ago.

Waldo
08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
The name of this thread should be "Driver Apologizes Because Road Rage Caught On Camera."

djg21
08-12-2016, 08:43 PM
So he only apologized because he was caught?
Similar to pro cyclists who apologized when caught in a drug test.

Anyway, the apology seemed sincere, and he was under no obligation to do so.
Big picture — the apology was broadcast by the local news, which educated other drivers about the shared lane law, and more important, reminded them that cameras are everywhere and that their actions could be recorded.

I don't doubt that he had no clue as to the law, which doesn't excuse his conduct, but might account for his anger. Hopefully, this was a teaching moment for him and others who saw the newscast or Facebook posts.

CampyorBust
08-12-2016, 09:06 PM
:beer:
"You come on to my f@#king land" sounds so similar to the a#$ hole surfers I've encountered in NorCal. Tough in a group, think they can fight just because they watch it on TV or play the video game, sad little boy is what this person is, completely full of sh$t.

That’s my wave bro! Brah didn’t you hear me, don’t bogart my curl brosef!

And then there are the incredibly chill and zen surfers, they cool.

Huckleberry is a saying from the movie Tombstone with Doc Holiday (Val Kilmere). I guess quoting that makes him a tough guy..

I had forgotten about that quote from the movie Tombstone. "I am your huckleberry" means "I am the guy you're looking for." in other words, he is ready to fight. Apparently, it was a real expression long ago.

Ok I see, thanks. Plenty of people around I think the cyclist could have called him his peach cobbler and gotten away with it. The reaction would have been priceless.

Looks like the official come back for "I am your huckleberry" is "I'm a huckleberry over your persimmon" meaning "I'm just a bit better than you". Got to know this stuff when you road bike in the OC. I still dont get the whole road biking in Orange County.

Cicli
08-13-2016, 05:19 AM
Best place i ever left was Orange County.

tbike4
08-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Best place i ever left was Orange County.

Why is that?

Cicli
08-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Why is that?

Congestion and traffic. I hardly ever wait in line anywhere. Havent sat in traffic in years.
I dont think I could ride there anymore either.

kevinvc
08-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Hopefully the driver looks at this huge backlash and realizes that he was out of line in his actions. I believe most anyone is capable of that kind of self reflection and growth.

More likely is that he blames the cyclist, and by proxy all cyclists, for the heat he's taken and this has just solidified his negative opinions. Either way he probably now realizes that his outbursts can be captured and shared with the world and that societal norms don't approve of that sort of reaction.

He can hate cyclists as much as he wants as long as his actions don't endanger or threaten others.

flydhest
08-13-2016, 03:04 PM
But can you blame him, really? There were motorists in California who were blocking traffic and that pisses off cyclists and leads to things like this. Not the cyclists fault. He shouldn't have to apologize--motorists everywhere who break the rules should.

:banana:

Thank you. You seem to have been the only one who got the joke.