PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2015 / 2016 / 2017 gas Golf Sportwagen opinions

eddief
08-11-2016, 06:35 PM
I know there's been a gigantic TDI thread going for months, but I just drove a 2015 gas Wagen and I thought it was a pretty fine thing. Did not beat it up, just a 20 minute test drive on some crappy Sonoma County potholes and then a quick run down the freeway. Quiet, comfy, seemed quite fast and agile enough. I love the simple dash and center stack. Don't want no nav. Found out there was a Limited model released sometime in 2016. Want that one.

Was considering some kind o SUV, but never no snow and probably never no off road. Wagen seemed like the perfect car.

You got a gas one from the last 2 years? How's it going?

rccardr
08-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Recently picked up a new GSW SE. Love it. Traded in my MkIV GTI for it, in my opinion just as spunky but with more room for the grandchild. Holds a 58cm road bike with the front wheel attached! Great gas mileage, too.

No regrets. None.

Cat3roadracer
08-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Five days into the Golf Wagen. Many subtle improvements as compared to the Jetta. Full steam ahead.

batman1425
08-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Not exactly the same, but loving my new Golf R. Good space, good fuel economy, good fit and finish, comfortable with all the sport aids turned down, and that go pedal is addicting!

sjbraun
08-11-2016, 10:06 PM
So, what kind of mileage are you getting?

Recently picked up a new GSW SE. Love it. Traded in my MkIV GTI for it, in my opinion just as spunky but with more room for the grandchild. Holds a 58cm road bike with the front wheel attached! Great gas mileage, too.

No regrets. None.

George Ab
08-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Love my 2015 GTI. 24K miles and 20 months later, no problems. They take well performance wise to tunes, from 210 HP easy to get an additional 70HP with a tune, add a downpipe and tune and 300HP with a 3,000 lb is a blast. I get 30 mph. Exceptionally refined interior, spacious, and I love a hatch. For me, I would do it the same way again.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2016, 05:44 AM
Five days into the Golf Wagen. Many subtle improvements as compared to the Jetta. Full steam ahead.

Indeed..a 2016 GSW-gas..is what's on my radar for my 2013 JSW TDI..probably get one new for no $..says me dealer..

After the TDI gig, some will say, "VW can KMA"..but for a wagon, in the US, for way less than $30k NEW..it's the only game in town and a well made unit all 'round'.

palincss
08-12-2016, 06:12 AM
I know there's been a gigantic TDI thread going for months, but I just drove a 2015 gas Wagen and I thought it was a pretty fine thing. Did not beat it up, just a 20 minute test drive on some crappy Sonoma County potholes and then a quick run down the freeway. Quiet, comfy, seemed quite fast and agile enough. I love the simple dash and center stack. Don't want no nav. Found out there was a Limited model released sometime in 2016. Want that one.

Was considering some kind o SUV, but never no snow and probably never no off road. Wagen seemed like the perfect car.

You got a gas one from the last 2 years? How's it going?

Ed, you left out the most important thing for this audience: the GSW fits a bicycle inside with the back seats down and both wheels on the bike. That's Job One and there are very, very few cars capable of doing it.

palincss
08-12-2016, 06:13 AM
Not exactly the same, but loving my new Golf R. Good space, good fuel economy, good fit and finish, comfortable with all the sport aids turned down, and that go pedal is addicting!

O would that the Golf R Variant were on the market here!

palincss
08-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Love my 2015 GTI. 24K miles and 20 months later, no problems. They take well performance wise to tunes, from 210 HP easy to get an additional 70HP with a tune, add a downpipe and tune and 300HP with a 3,000 lb is a blast. I get 30 mph. Exceptionally refined interior, spacious, and I love a hatch. For me, I would do it the same way again.

With 300 HP, 30 mph ought to be easy. And even three times that number. But how's the fuel economy? And with those tunes, does the car pass emissions?

tv_vt
08-12-2016, 11:11 AM
What I'm not seeing in the VW GSW offerings is a manual transmission in anything other than the base S model. Really ticks me off.
Want heated seats and a MT? Sorry. Pick one. Come on, VW, get with the program.

shovelhd
08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Plus it's a five speed. How 70's. The 6MT will be available in the base 4Motion for 2017 but no lighting package available. I hear that they are going LED in 2018.

thwart
08-12-2016, 12:24 PM
The 6MT will be available in the base 4Motion for 2017.
Now you're talking.

And with heated cloth seats as well, I think.

pjm
08-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Plus it's a five speed. How 70's. The 6MT will be available in the base 4Motion for 2017 but no lighting package available. I hear that they are going LED in 2018.
And the base car has 14" wheels. More '70s! The other day I was behind a brand new GTI, I noticed the rear license plate was about an inch off center and cockeyed. It's stuff like this that has chased this long time VW guy away and now happily driving a perfect little Mazda.

batman1425
08-12-2016, 02:55 PM
And the base car has 14" wheels. More '70s! The other day I was behind a brand new GTI, I noticed the rear license plate was about an inch off center and cockeyed. It's stuff like this that has chased this long time VW guy away and now happily driving a perfect little Mazda.

I had a mazda 3 hatch for 5 years which was bookended with an A3 before, and now have a Golf R. While the Mazda was reliable, inexpensive to operate, gave me no major issues, and reasonably well put together, it was far from perfect. Felt cheap (and was cheap, so I guess that fits), handled well but the suspension was overly stiff for long trips and it had excessive road noise in the cabin. Tons of interior rattles, lots showed up within the first year of ownership. Negative camber (zoom zoom right?) ate rear tires like crazy. I had to rotate every 3k at a minimum and even with that, never got more than 30K out of a set before they were cupped so bad that I couldn't stand the vibration/road noise and replaced them. The clutch on my 6mt was the worst of any MT car I've owned - vague, lifeless, and heavy. Throttle mapping was odd and made getting smooth shifts quite a challenge - especially when combined with the said crappy clutch. Fuel economy was sub par for cars in this class - I was lucky to get 29 on the highway if I drove carefully, and it was summer. For a small hatchback with a 2.5L motor, I expect more. The new Skyactive engines do better, but every skyactive car I've driven from 3 to Cx5 felt underpowered.

Credit where credit is due - the car really didn't dramatically under deliver on what it was billed to be aside from the fuel economy and tire wear. It also was (and I think still is) cheaper than the other "economy" cars in this class - Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc. However, there wasn't anything about that car that made me go "wow" and I was happy to move on 5 years and 75k mi later.

pjm
08-12-2016, 04:58 PM
I had a mazda 3 hatch for 5 years which was bookended with an A3 before, and now have a Golf R. While the Mazda was reliable, inexpensive to operate, gave me no major issues, and reasonably well put together, it was far from perfect. Felt cheap (and was cheap, so I guess that fits), handled well but the suspension was overly stiff for long trips and it had excessive road noise in the cabin. Tons of interior rattles, lots showed up within the first year of ownership. Negative camber (zoom zoom right?) ate rear tires like crazy. I had to rotate every 3k at a minimum and even with that, never got more than 30K out of a set before they were cupped so bad that I couldn't stand the vibration/road noise and replaced them. The clutch on my 6mt was the worst of any MT car I've owned - vague, lifeless, and heavy. Throttle mapping was odd and made getting smooth shifts quite a challenge - especially when combined with the said crappy clutch. Fuel economy was sub par for cars in this class - I was lucky to get 29 on the highway if I drove carefully, and it was summer. For a small hatchback with a 2.5L motor, I expect more. The new Skyactive engines do better, but every skyactive car I've driven from 3 to Cx5 felt underpowered.

Credit where credit is due - the car really didn't dramatically under deliver on what it was billed to be aside from the fuel economy and tire wear. It also was (and I think still is) cheaper than the other "economy" cars in this class - Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc. However, there wasn't anything about that car that made me go "wow" and I was happy to move on 5 years and 75k mi later.

Except for the road noise, mine has had none of those issues. 30k miles, tires are perfect, no squeaks/rattles, the clutch and gearbox are one of its best features, 34 mpg, 0 problems. And my size 60 CSI goes right in. It's no rocket, but I've got a nice rwd BMW for that.

palincss
08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
What I'm not seeing in the VW GSW offerings is a manual transmission in anything other than the base S model. Really ticks me off.
Want heated seats and a MT? Sorry. Pick one. Come on, VW, get with the program.

You'll be able with the 2017 GSW S model to get heated seats and a 6 speed manual on the model with 4-Motion. Or, you can get the 6 speed manual in the Alltrack model.

palincss
08-12-2016, 05:21 PM
And the base car has 14" wheels. More '70s!

Incorrect. The S model (the base car) has 15" wheels both in 2016 and 2017.

pjm
08-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Incorrect. The S model (the base car) has 15" wheels both in 2016 and 2017.

I stand corrected.

Ralph
08-12-2016, 05:46 PM
You really can't judge any modern car....whether Mazda or VW.....by something you owned 5 or more years ago. Cars have changed so much so fast.

superbowlpats
08-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Interesting post from a TDI JSW to GSW owner

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8094114-Coming-from-MK6-JSW-to-MK7-GSW-My-Perspective

me personally i may go for a CPO JSW SE when i get the buyback cash. I like the interior of the JSW SE better compared to the GSW. although the MKVII platform is much improved and there is the Appleplay.....

Avincent52
08-13-2016, 07:05 PM
FWIW, I'd buy a used BMW 3 series wagon.
I've got had two 325iT e46 wagons which I love love love (the model made until 2005)
I would imagine you might find a 2-3 year old BMW which is well-depreciated for roughly the same price as the new VW.
Europeans love these sport station wagons and they really do combine the handling of a sports sedan with the bike/dog/luggage carrying capacity of an SUV or crossover.

Station wagons > SUVs IMHO.

(and while my wagons are RWD, the Michelin Alpin snow tires let the car perform better in snow than an AWD equivalent with all-seasons.)
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/07/2013-BMW-328i-Sports-Wagon-front-view-in-motion-05.jpg

batman1425
08-15-2016, 08:06 AM
You really can't judge any modern car....whether Mazda or VW.....by something you owned 5 or more years ago. Cars have changed so much so fast.

To be clear, I bought it 5 years ago, but owned it up until 2 months ago. Bought it brand new in 2011.

559Rando
08-17-2016, 12:09 PM
How's the automatic on these guys? I thought some of the VW autos were failure-prone. If it's a non-issue, this is a car I'd love to have, too. :banana:

shovelhd
08-17-2016, 08:15 PM
The automatic is meh. The DSG is much better but it's not a stick.

559Rando
08-17-2016, 08:21 PM
The automatic is meh. The DSG is much better but it's not a stick.
DSG is what I meant. I thought I heard some were failure prone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sjbraun
08-17-2016, 08:26 PM
I don't think the new Sportwagens come with a DSG transmission, it's just a regular six speed automatic.

buddybikes
08-17-2016, 08:27 PM
I have a Saab 2008 wagon manual that we haul multiple bikes and kayaks for trips, I will cry when it dies, doesn't seem to be anything affordable (bought this in 2012 for 16K) Parts don't appear to be a problem but know if it get's hit - it will be totalled immediately by insurance.

Wish the Passat wagon was available over here. I did for ha ha's look up few year old 3 series BMW but least in my market, seem to be asking big $$

Wagons are so nicer handling big kayaks, much lower roofline, and European cars can hold plenty of weight (we have hauled 4 kayaks on factory racks regularly)

rccardr
08-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Correct. My new 2016 SE is a six speed auto, not a DSG. Paddles, but an auto.

No DSG option, no MT option above base level for 2016 or 2017 other than Alltrack model.

eddief
08-17-2016, 08:44 PM
we need to get our options straight.

VW Group's DSG dual-clutch automatic is available for a reasonable $1,100. VW’s product planners say this is a function of SportWagen demand the last few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqBuUkpa_s

Correct. My new 2016 SE is a six speed auto, not a DSG. Paddles, but an auto.

No DSG option, no MT option above base level for 2016 or 2017 other than Alltrack model.

shovelhd
08-17-2016, 09:17 PM
It's confusing between 2016 and 2017. 2016 GSW's are 6 speed slushbox except for the S where guy can get a 5 speed stick. On the 2017 S 4-Motion you can get a DSG or a 6MT, no slushbox. Check the order guides.

eddief
08-17-2016, 09:32 PM
either that or plain old mt 5 on Golf, mt 6 on GTI.

shovelhd
08-17-2016, 10:56 PM
The DSG is not a slushbox. It is a dual shift automated manual transmission. It does not have a torque converter.

eddief
08-17-2016, 11:06 PM
the 2016 gas Sportwagen does not come with a "slush" box. It either comes with a DSG or 5 mt.

The DSG is not a slushbox. It is a dual shift automated manual transmission. It does not have a torque converter.

palincss
08-18-2016, 05:20 AM
I don't think the new Sportwagens come with a DSG transmission, it's just a regular six speed automatic.

The front wheel drive Sportwagens come with a regular six speed automatic; the 4-Motion models come with the DSG (or a 6 speed manual).

palincss
08-18-2016, 05:27 AM
either that or plain old mt 5 on Golf, mt 6 on GTI.

Two things need correcting here: 1) your title says the DSG is a "slushbox" which of course is wrong. Here's a pretty fair definition of what characterises a "shushbox" -- "Slushboxes are called slushboxes because there is no direct link between engine and wheels. There's a box full of fluid that kind of works like a waterwheel on one end churning the fluid until it is churning so much that it starts turning a waterwheel on the other end. The result is a 15-20% loss of all horsepower sent from the engine to drive wheels." -- and that "box of fluid" is, of course, the torque converter. The DSG transmission does not have a torque converter, it has two clutches, clutches just like on manual transmissions, that in fact do make a "direct link" between the engine and the wheels. 2) The 4-Motion Golf wagon for 2017, available in the base model or with raised ride height, cladding and machismo trim as the Allttrack, offers a choice of 6-speed manual or DSG.

superbowlpats
08-18-2016, 06:06 AM
I've got the DSG in my 2011 Golf TDI. to be honest not sure what all the fuss is about or why people think its better than a typical modern day automatic transmission. I also have a 2006 BMW and I like its automatic just as much. in fact more since I don't have a $400 service on it every 40K miles. is it the fact that the DSG come with the paddles on the wheel so I can pretend its a manual? I just put my in D and go.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Interesting post from a TDI JSW to GSW owner

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8094114-Coming-from-MK6-JSW-to-MK7-GSW-My-Perspective

me personally i may go for a CPO JSW SE when i get the buyback cash. I like the interior of the JSW SE better compared to the GSW. although the MKVII platform is much improved and there is the Appleplay.....

Interesting review and not what I expected. Seems VW has stepped up and made a really nice car here..

batman1425
08-18-2016, 09:27 AM
I've got the DSG in my 2011 Golf TDI. to be honest not sure what all the fuss is about or why people think its better than a typical modern day automatic transmission. I also have a 2006 BMW and I like its automatic just as much. in fact more since I don't have a $400 service on it every 40K miles. is it the fact that the DSG come with the paddles on the wheel so I can pretend its a manual? I just put my in D and go.

The DSG's are much more precise and far more efficient than the ATs of yesteryear, and commensurate MTs for that matter. They shift faster, smoother, are more intricately programable for vehicle/driver preference (fuel economy, performance, comfort, etc) with most able to adapt to multiple different modes on the fly - like the ones in the GTIs.

Drive an older AT back to back with a car that has a modern DSG and you'll notice the difference right away. Might be harder to notice on a lower power output car, like a TDI but there is for sure a difference. That difference is amplified as you ramp up the power at the flywheel.

I have a 6MT in my Golf R, because I like driving a stick and have owned exclusively MT cars for the last 12 years. Despite my personal preference, I can't argue that the DSG in VAG cars are flat out a better transmission than my 6MT or the slushboxes of yesterday. DSG are the first ATs I've driven since buying my first MT car that have even come close to getting me to give up the MT. The DSG version of my car is a full 0.5sec faster 0-60 and an absolute animal off the line with launch control. My 6MT has a slew of electronic nannies that keep me from revving past 4K while stopped, and automatically cut out the throttle if you drop the clutch too fast because the clutch can't handle the imprecision of human application of that much torque.

Cat3roadracer
08-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Just got back from lunch with a buddy at work. His 2016 GSW, 412 miles on it, stained headliner. Looks like the pano roof issues have not been fixed.

eddief
09-14-2016, 06:42 PM
sounds like someone from this forum:

http://www.businessinsider.com/2016-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-tsi-s-features-2016-9?r=UK&IR=T/#the-sadness-enveloped-me-6

purpurite
09-14-2016, 06:58 PM
That article made my head hurt. Until Toyota stops producing kitchen appliances like the Camry, Corolla and Yaris, he's completely out to lunch. I don't care how short of a skirt they put on Jan (which I find myself really liking, by the way).

He may have only driven two cars this year, and then his comments would be mildly acceptable. I can't say I have read anything anywhere that would agree with his angle.

It might not be the best car ever, but to call it the Worst Car of 2016 is like twenty-somthing music bloggers calling 21 Pilots the greatest band in the world.

thwart
09-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Anyone who likes the Beetle way more than a 'Wagen... well, let's just say loses some credibility. At least IMO.

pjm
09-14-2016, 09:07 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/2016-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-tsi-s-features-2016-9?r=UK&IR=T/#the-sadness-enveloped-me-6

I can't take automotive advice from any guy who takes his ironing board around with him wherever he goes. He's a clown.

pjm
09-14-2016, 09:13 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrOlx8TcCg

oldpotatoe
09-15-2016, 07:15 AM

Ironing board and can't drive a stick..why don't I believe this knucklehead?

I'd like him to mention other wagons in this price range that blow his skirt(freshly ironed one at that) up..ain't none. I'll discount anything he says about anything in the future. :bike:

DHallerman
09-15-2016, 07:31 AM
We have both manual (GTI) and DSG (JSW).

And one way the DSG feels more like a manual than a typical auto transmission is when you take your foot off the gas.

Just like with a manual, foot-off-gas with DSG starts to slow down the car, even without braking. In contrast, classic automatics just keep rolling.

Dave, who loves with either car seeing how long he can avoid using the brake say when approaching a red light which might soon turn green

eddief
09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
http://www.tflcar.com/2016/09/new-2017-vw-golf-sportwagen-4motion-vs-vw-golf-alltrack-mashup-review-video/