PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Oregon?

vaxn8r
04-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Anyone planning on Cycle Oregon this year?

IXXI
04-05-2004, 01:42 AM
I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting my wife to agree to my taking a week off from real life to do this... I know its filling up and I'll be cutting it close, but it does look like an amazing event,, especially this year with Crater Lake in there...

Needs Help
04-05-2004, 02:16 AM
May I recommend a custom Serotta with a downtube cap for a fly rod? :)

The price for that tour--$725 for 7 days--seems a bit steep. That's $103/day. It seems like you could probably stay in a bed and breakfast for $70/night and spend the balance on meals if you wanted to do the same ride unsupported with some friends. Is that unrealistic? :confused:

gasman
04-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Needs Help- The ride goes through areas where you would need a lot of support from a sag wagon carrying food and water. The great thing about Cycle Oregon is all the out-of-way sights you get to visit. The ride is Very well supported, although the food is average there is a lot of it so you have plently of calories. I have done the ride a couple times and always enjoyed it a lot. :D

lithiapark
04-05-2004, 03:32 PM
The Cycle Oregon route is truly superb this year, particularly the Crater Lake rim road-it doesn't get any better than this anywhere IMO. The routes never take you more than 25 miles from a small store or restaurant, so with two water bottles-large ones-and jersey pockets full of snacks, you can do all of these unsupported. Some of the routes are not loops, so have two cars or be prepared for some long rides. http://www.siskiyouvelo.org/ is the web site for a very active club located here, and they have several maps and routes outlined, that are loops or out and backs from a single point, that would allow you to do all of these roads from a single starting point. There are some rides not on Cycle Oregon's routes that are fabulous as well. If you ride 'cross or mtb's, there is a huge amount of singletrack and logging road riding as well.

Cycle Oregon is a huge social event as well as beautiful places to ride. If you want to ride and hang out with bike fanatics from all over, it is hard to beat. September weather in southern Oregon in the Rogue River watershed is very predictably excellent. :D