PDA

View Full Version : You talking to me?

toaster
07-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Just who is it that ol' Lancey pants is referring to when he says:

'However, Armstrong told the Statesman's Halliburton Friday, "I'm not gonna run and hide like some other former champs might. With all that happened before the start (of the 2006 Tour), I feel as if the sport and even the event needs fans and supporters right now," Armstrong declared. "It's not the time for me to run and hide. I need to stand up and say how great cycling and the racing is."

I may be mistaken, but the only former champ that seems to bother Mr. Armstrong has to be Greg LeMond. But then he's never really pointed a finger at Miguel Indurain, and since Bernault Hinault I think is always there, so is Bjarne Riis, who's left? Pantani's dead, Ullrich is humiliated, and the others he's never mentioned before.

Grow up Lance! I think this war with LeMond only makes you the loser.

Brian Smith
07-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Maybe it's not so much "grow up" as it is "feel a little less responsible to defend the whole of cycling." In what other sport does one U.S. athlete get "chosen" by the popular U.S. sports media to represent the whole thing to the public? Maybe gymnastics come olympic time?

It's no wonder that he seems conflicted when thrust into the spotlight as much as he has been. I guess it's great that a cyclist gets to become such a celebrity in the U.S. but his conditioning is primarily as an athlete, not a spokesperson, right?

Maybe he feels personally attacked every time someone asks him about something suspicious in cycling. Maybe egotism makes him feel personally responsible to defend it all, but journalists certainly are trained know how to push his buttons.

Fixed
07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
bro some people expect to much out of a bike racer .
he's the champ. that's all. imho
cheers

Elefantino
07-08-2006, 12:44 PM
bro some people expect to much out of a bike racer .
he's the champ. that's all. imho
cheers

Exactly. He's the champ. Then when somebody wins this great Tour, they'll be the champ.

I admire LA, but in regards to competitive cycling, he's yesterday's news.