PDA

View Full Version : Piermont Bike: bike shop/eBay concierge

Cornfed
08-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Bought some handlebars from this seller and was impressed so I started following. Thought it was a typical bike shop expanding to the web, but the volume and variety of goods -- everything from complete bikes to women's shoes -- made me wonder.

Looked into it and turns out you can "trade in" your unwanted goods and they'll sell it on eBay for you, then put a percentage of the funds toward store credit or even straight cash back.

Pretty cool business model, imo.

http://stores.ebay.com/piermontbike

http://piermontbike.com/about/ebay-store-pg473.htm

eBAUMANN
08-10-2016, 03:45 PM
yep, glenn is a good dude, been following his auctions for awhile, bought an alignment table from him a few months back, was able to meet him in person and see his shop/operation.
the volume of stuff they move is pretty impressive considering they are a fairly busy/large bike shop as well.

Mark McM
08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
This is becoming a common model for the internet auction world. The Pro's Closet has been using a similar model for some years now:

https://theproscloset.com/sell-your-gear/

Speaking of ebay and other internet commerce for private sellers -

There is some argument to be made that the internet is both the US Postal Service's worst enemy and best friend. With email and other electronic communications, the amount of letters the USPS handles has severely shrunk. However, the amount of small packages they are now handling due to ebay and similar systems has mushroomed.

bobswire
08-10-2016, 04:02 PM
This is becoming a common model for the internet auction world. The Pro's Closet has been using a similar model for some years now:

https://theproscloset.com/sell-your-gear/

Speaking of ebay and other internet commerce for private sellers -

There is some argument to be made that the internet is both the US Postal Service's worst enemy and best friend. With email and other electronic communications, the amount of letters the USPS handles has severely shrunk. However, the amount of small packages they are now handling due to ebay and similar systems has mushroomed.

Yes but the junk mail seems to have increased as has my recycle bin. Too bad we can't recycle spam we receive in emails back to the original source. :)

KJMUNC
08-10-2016, 04:11 PM
They always seem to have a lot of stuff moving through there, but I won't buy from them again.

Bought a BMC SLC01 Astana frame from them about 18mo ago and didn't realize until it arrived that they had positioned the frame in the pictures to hid the fact that one of the BB cups was seized in the frame. They never mentioned it in the auction and when I called they said "well just pop it out".....knowing damn well that was impossible.

My LBS worked on it for a week using various penetrating oils and breaker bars to no end. Piermont eventually refunded my money but complained when I asked to cover return shipping and the labor I was charged at my LBS.

I'd be more understanding if this was something that they couldn't have known about or happened in shipping, but they were clearly trying to pull one over. The icing on the cake came when he emailed a few weeks later and snarkily said "btw we got that BB cup out that you said was stuck."

Sorry for the thread drift, but just sharing my experience with these guys. :mad:

Tickdoc
08-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Yes, pros closet was the first that came to mind. There is a place in Kansas that does this as well. Good business model fo sho

54ny77
08-10-2016, 04:13 PM
They've been doing this for years, including non-bike stuff. I bought a bunch of stuff from them way back when.

ultraman6970
08-10-2016, 05:25 PM
If it was an external cup? when seized the faster way to remove those things is just cut them using a dremel (or a super thing saw) like in 3 or 4 pieces then use a screw driver and a hammer. A lot better than trying to remove a squared tapper seized cup, not even say a sealed BB for example.

They always seem to have a lot of stuff moving through there, but I won't buy from them again.

Bought a BMC SLC01 Astana frame from them about 18mo ago and didn't realize until it arrived that they had positioned the frame in the pictures to hid the fact that one of the BB cups was seized in the frame. They never mentioned it in the auction and when I called they said "well just pop it out".....knowing damn well that was impossible.

My LBS worked on it for a week using various penetrating oils and breaker bars to no end. Piermont eventually refunded my money but complained when I asked to cover return shipping and the labor I was charged at my LBS.

I'd be more understanding if this was something that they couldn't have known about or happened in shipping, but they were clearly trying to pull one over. The icing on the cake came when he emailed a few weeks later and snarkily said "btw we got that BB cup out that you said was stuck."

Sorry for the thread drift, but just sharing my experience with these guys. :mad:

KJMUNC
08-10-2016, 05:30 PM
If it was an external cup? when seized the faster way to remove those things is just cut them using a dremel (or a super thing saw) like in 3 or 4 pieces then use a screw driver and a hammer. A lot better than trying to remove a squared tapper seized cup, not even say a sealed BB for example.

It was an external cup, but I didn't buy the frame expecting to do that, nor was it priced accordingly. Wouldn't be too keen cutting into something that close on a carbon frame.

ultraman6970
08-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Kj..i get the idea :) Good you find an understanding with the seller.

I been looking for the old BMC phonak for a very long time, never been able to find one of those heavy bricks :)

Gsinill
08-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Saw this thread while I was waiting for the delivery of a set of wheels from Piermont; never heard of them before...
Here's the description off eBay:

"Campagnolo Record Hubset on Ambrosio Nemesis Tubular Rims & FMB Paris-Roubaix Tires
Great Condition

Very True
no dents or hops"

Got them delivered yesterday: they are indeed very true, one can argue about "no hops" but "great condition"?

https://s10.postimg.org/rwgc3jg55/IMG_2709.jpg

Now to their defense, they did post one picture that shows the damage if you look closely.
Furthermore the very good condition might only refer to the tires, the way it is worded.
Nevertheless, it seems like they intentionally positioned the wheels in a way that makes it hard to notice.

https://s9.postimg.org/qk7bruvf3/Scratch_Nemesis_e_Bay_pic.png

From someone that does ongoing business on eBay, I would have expected that they mention the scratches and show a close up.
To be honest, I got them at a great price and the scratches look worse in the picture than they actually are,
no sharp edges/grooves etc. and once the anodization is gone, they are most likely barely visible.

Overall, a little bit of a bummer but I like the combo and the damage IMHO is not bad enough to return them or file a claim.
Not sure I would do business with Piermont again though...

54ny77
08-12-2016, 08:54 AM
that's totally messed up, unless you got them for an absolutely screaming deal. what a weird set of scratches, hard to picture how that happened unless crashed into a curb and those are gouges? 400-800 grit wet sand and a lot of elbow grease will help though.

Saw this thread while I was waiting for the delivery of a set of wheels from Piermont; never heard of them before...
Here's the description off eBay:

"Campagnolo Record Hubset on Ambrosio Nemesis Tubular Rims & FMB Paris-Roubaix Tires
Great Condition

Very True
no dents or hops"

Got them delivered yesterday: they are indeed very true, one can argue about "no hops" but "great condition"?

https://s10.postimg.org/rwgc3jg55/IMG_2709.jpg

Now to their defense, they did post one picture that shows the damage if you look closely.
Furthermore the very good condition might only refer to the tires, the way it is worded.
Nevertheless, it seems like they intentionally positioned the wheels in a way that makes it hard to notice.

https://s9.postimg.org/qk7bruvf3/Scratch_Nemesis_e_Bay_pic.png

From someone that does ongoing business on eBay, I would have expected that they mention the scratches and show a close up.
To be honest, I got them at a great price and the scratches look worse in the picture than they actually are,
no sharp edges/grooves etc. and once the anodization is gone, they are most likely barely visible.

Overall, a little bit of a bummer but I like the combo and the damage IMHO is not bad enough to return them or file a claim.
Not sure I would do business with Piermont again though...

chazmtb
08-12-2016, 09:28 AM
As a frequent buyer and seller of bike/parts you have to scrutinize every detail including pictures. Sucks this happened and it should not happen. Peirmont is notorious for lack of description but has always had very good detailed pictures to let the buyer decide.

Gsinill
08-12-2016, 09:37 AM
As a frequent buyer and seller of bike/parts you have to scrutinize every detail including pictures. Sucks this happened and it should not happen. Peirmont is notorious for lack of description but has always had very good detailed pictures to let the buyer decide.

Yeah, the rest of the pictures are very detailed, just not showing the scratches :)
Sent the guy a message, curious what his response will be...

chazmtb
08-12-2016, 09:50 AM
He's good I've bought many stuff from him. He'll make it right.

velofinds
08-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Bidding also starts very low (say $1) and never has a reserve based on my observation. So they don't set out to get any dollar value in particular -- just whatever the market will bear.

Gsinill
08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
He offered a full refund including return shipping.

ultraman6970
09-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Bought from them a few days ago, they charge you 2 bucks for each extra item and since I'm between sizes I got a 2 knickers in two different sizes... the shipping was fast so i have no complains about that.

Opened the bag and only one of the two knickers was inside, the tracking number is linked to both items so no idea what will happen with ebay and paypal because obviously it says delivered for both items :(

Tried to contact them by ebay and nothing. hope they are good answering the phone. Ive asked stuff to them before and they answered fairly quick, now that I became a new costumer with a messed up order looks like slowpo gonzales took the shift.

My personal life had been so ssss****tttty lately that I hope they fix the problem up because this is like the last blow I could take before hitting rock bottom :( Blows come all together as usual.

ultraman6970
09-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Ok, an update... talked with a super nice girl, she said she was going to send me the missing item today?, lets see how this develops.

jensenn
09-09-2016, 10:56 AM
ive had pretty good luck with them. they ship super fast but could work on providing a more detailed description of the items. also, i pass by the shop on our usual weekend ride from New York to New Jersey but they wont let you pick up items unless its a huge item like a bicycle. i do enjoy their random items, i browse their page at least once a week to see if there is anything interesting.

tctyres
09-09-2016, 11:27 AM
I was just down there on Tuesday. They have an ebay store next to the main bike shop. There is a packing room for ebay sales at the back of the ebay store.

They move a lot of product. The owner is quirky, but seems ok. The few employees I talked to were super nice.

tooslow4u
09-09-2016, 12:46 PM
He offered a full refund including return shipping.

I was going to suggest to sort things out with Glenn. He'll gladly set things straight but you did that already. Glad it was resolved.

ultraman6970
09-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Another update... looks like the thing was shipped already, looking good so far.

type2sam
09-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I've had good luck with Piermont over the years...but generally for components and small parts.

type2sam
09-09-2016, 02:49 PM
MyBikeStore.com has the same sort of model it seems.

r_mutt
09-09-2016, 09:15 PM
FWIW, they don't write the descriptions of the items they sell, that's up to the "customer" who leaves the item with Piermont Bikes to sell. They take the pictures, copy what you write for the eBay ad, and then list it for you. their cut is 40%- but only 15% if you use the credit to buy something from the shop.