PDA

View Full Version : No cable grooves or cable grooves--is it random now?

paredown
08-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Trying a new build with 31.8 bars for the first time. Since I didn't know what I wanted I purchased a random bunch to try out from the Classifieds (thanks Dired)--and they all do not have cable grooves.

Have grooves been discontinued? Is it random by maker?

When you wrap the suckers, how do you get a comfortable grip?

Mark McM
08-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Hey, don't you know that wireless electronic shifting is the future? ;-)

Yeah it's pretty random. In case of a lack of grooves, routing the cable(s) along the bottom of the bar is usually fairly unobtrusive.

CampyorBust
08-10-2016, 12:40 PM
When you wrap the suckers, how do you get a comfortable grip?

Like in the good ole days, one cable in the rear and one up front. I call it the vintage flat top feel.

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Like in the good ole days, one cable in the rear and one up front.

+1

I prefer this to having grooves. But, I have big mitts so larger diameter is welcome.

donevwil
08-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Like in the good ole days, one cable in the rear and one up front. I call it the vintage flat top feel.

Ditto, I'm so used to this setup I can't get grooved bars to work for me.

With cables installed tape the housing to bars (for me requires only a couple rounds of electrical tape on the ramps above the lever, at the end of the ramps where the housing hits the tops and at the end of the run adjacent to the stem. Ride the bike to test the feel. Move the housing higher or lower to achieve the best fit to your hands. Wrap.

unterhausen
08-10-2016, 12:56 PM
I like putting the cables in the front, always have, even before someone thought of grooves. It feels fine to me now.

SpokeValley
08-10-2016, 01:21 PM

Yup. This works well for me.

icepick_trotsky
08-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Drill a hole and internally route. ;)