PDA

View Full Version : Bikepacking thoughts and reviews

christian
08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
I went for a three-day bike tour through NY, CT, and MA. Because I no longer have a touring bike, i strapped some bikepacking bags to my gravel grinder (road geometry, cantilever brakes, downtube shift cable routing) Zanconato.

http://www.christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4535.JPG

For those who are contemplating bikepacking vs. traditional touring gear, I thought I'd provide some thoughts. Since I also put specific pieces of gear to the test, I'll provide some reviews there.

Bikepacking vs. Racks/Panniers:

My trip was ~200 miles, about 15 of which was on gravel. There were no technical sections and one steep gravel climb and descent. Largely, I would say that bikepacking gear worked ok, and was a benefit on the gravel climb especially, where handling of the bike was wholly unaffected by the load. That said, bikepacking bags force you to separate the load more than racks and panniers and other than the ~8 mile section over Mt. Riga and Mt. Washington in CT/MA, regular touring gear would have been preferable. I will keep the bikepacking gear for use on my Santa Cruz 5010, but generally, I find it to be only a tolerable substitute for racks and panniers for road touring.

Reviews:

Bicycle: I used my Zanconato with Campagnolo Centaur (50/34 x 12-25), Record/DT/Mavic OP wheels, 3T cockpit and post, SPD-SL pedals. It worked completely flawlessly. Did not think about my bike once. (A+)
Tires: Compass Stampede Pass 700x32. I was afraid these might be too fragile for my weight plus camping gear but they worked out fine and they ride great on the road. A little slippery for gravel, I'd still prefer Pasela 35s for D2R2. (A)

I am a keen ultralight backpacker so, I have my backpacking gear pretty nailed.
Shelter: MLD Grace Duo (cuben) tarp. 10 oz and plenty of room for two. (A)
Pad: Thermarest NeoAir xlite. Crunches like a chip bag and is narrow. But does what it's supposed to do as long as you don't inflate it too hard. (A-)
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering Summerlite. The perfect 32d bag. (A+)
Groundsheet: Gossamer Gear Polycryo groundsheet. Sucks on snow (slippppppppery!) but best summer groundsheet I've found. (A)

Bikepacking gear:
Revelate Viscacha underseat bag: Good straps, stayed in place, does not rock, roomy. Does what it's supposed to do. Seems a bit heavier than necessary, but ok. (A-)
Revelate Tangle frame bag: Good straps, well attached, narrow and roomy. Perfect fit for carbon fiber tarp poles. The straps don't play nicely with the Gas Tank bag, which is shocking, given that the whole idea is that Revelate have built a bikepacking system. (B+ in isolation, C as part of system)
Revelate Gas Tank bag: Great idea, terrible execution. Straps don't work in conjunction with Tangle in front or in rear. Doesn't work well against seat post as it conflicts with underseat bag, bad strapping makes it flop back and forth and brush your legs as you pedal. (C-)
Revelate Sweetroll. This is a drybag for your sleeping bag. It works well keeping stuff dry and the integrated harness is a treat to use. However, the inside of the dry bag is the rubber liner, with no additional liner fabric so it is incredibly grippy and makes stuffing your sleeping bag very difficult and annoying, requiring you to pull it from the other end. Good idea, but poor execution. (C-)

The one benefit of this stuff is that it would work on nearly all my bikes - anything from a Colnago Extreme Power to my Giant Reign Advanced. So it makes touring very easy, even without a touring bike.

guido
08-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the review! Interesting thoughts and what is a decidedly unfashionable conclusion! How were the bugs? I see the tarp+groundsheet being used by the west coast folks but given my experience kayak camping in the North East I couldn't imaging trying it without a tent with full screen coverage (like a Big Agnes Fly Creek ...)

vav
08-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Cool review and cool adventure. How far east / north you went into MA?

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Helpful review!

Revelate Gas Tank bag: Great idea, terrible execution. Straps don't work in conjunction with Tangle in front or in rear. Doesn't work well against seat post as it conflicts with underseat bag, bad strapping makes it flop back and forth and brush your legs as you pedal. (C-)
Revelate Sweetroll. This is a drybag for your sleeping bag. It works well keeping stuff dry and the integrated harness is a treat to use. However, the inside of the dry bag is the rubber liner, with no additional liner fabric so it is incredibly grippy and makes stuffing your sleeping bag very difficult and annoying, requiring you to pull it from the other end. Good idea, but poor execution. (C-)

I've found using separate dry bags with something like the Oveja Negra loader better than an integrated system like the Sweetroll if only for ease of packing/unpacking.

Once I installed the Gas Tank and Tangle I didn't didn't notice they conflicted with one another. I haven't used the Gas Tank at the seatpost/TT junction. I believe the Jerry Can is intended for that spot and is a little narrower than the Gas Tank.

I'll add that I think Salsa Anything cages with dry bags are a pretty nice addition. But, a setup like Tubus Tara lowriders and Ortlieb roll tops will always have their place.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7459/27594872131_f68a064575_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/J3sW6r)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/J3sW6r) by ColonelJLloyd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/51002114@N03/), on Flickr

gdw
08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Most of the bikepacking gear you used, with exception of the Tangle bag, was designed for trail riding so it really isn't the best choice for on road adventures as you discovered. Some of it works very well on the road if used as the designers planned -the gas tank is a front top tube bag and too wide for general use in the rear- but the racks, panniers, and bags found on traditional touring bikes are quite refined and better suited for trips over smoother terrain. The chief advantage bikepacking gear has over traditional road gear is that it's substantially lighter.

jfowler
08-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the good review. I'll keep these evaluations in mind when setting up my own touring bike.

eBAUMANN
08-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I haven't used the Gas Tank at the seatpost/TT junction. I believe the Jerry Can is intended for that spot and is a little narrower than the Gas Tank.

Yep, the gas tank is for the TT/HT and jerry can for TT/Seatpost, they are definitely shaped and designed for those specific uses.

I also used a dry bag inside of the sweetroll and found that it helped with getting the sleeping bag in and out. It was a very tight fit though, I agree, but not terrible.

Cornfed
08-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Good review. I've found frame bags to be much more useful than racks and panniers. For one, your gear is naturally centered. For me, though, the big advantage is that it forces me to pack light and organize for quick access.

Agree on the Gas Tank. Too tall and too loose. I dumped mine in favor of the Feedbags and never looked back.

Thanks for the review.

classtimesailer
08-10-2016, 01:37 PM
I've never used panniers so I can't compare, but if you're taking a bunch of stuff with you on a bike ride, I highly recommend a trailer. Just did this 120 mile round trip over-nighter. Trailer with bag weighed 52 lbs and I wasn't traveling light. Lots of fishing tackle, bear canister, 6 pack, and camping stuff. While I didn't go off road, short gravel sections were easy peasy. It is a Carry Freedom Large-Y with an Ortleib 90L rack sack. Just throw everything in the bag, fold it over, and buckle it down.

raygunner
08-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Christian, next time you have to go tandem bikepacking!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13912607_10153967586002872_6107662899465862505_n.j pg?oh=5f76dc53b6f881146c16b717006c2520&oe=58173CEB

weisan
08-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks Christian for sharing your experience.

I have only done two bikepacking trips so far. The first one using my Surly Long Haul Trucker flat bar, Schwalbe Big Apple 26X2.1 tires that was loaded to the gills with both front and rear panniers and a handlebar bag. The second one on my Merlin cross bike, road bar, Compass Stampede 32mm tires, doubled up for touring duties with a rear rack mounted with rear panniers, and a revelate frame bag.

A couple of observations:

1) The Surly is more stable built to handle better with a full load. On one section we were descending at more than 40 mph but the whole rig felt so rock solid that I didn't have any fear or anxiety. It was quite amazing. Compared with the Merlin road bike, that was a stark contrast. Having the weight concentrated in the back, I can feel the "backswing" every time we take a sharp corner but after a while you just get used to it and compensate accordingly.

2) The Merlin goes faster. With the more aggressive road position, I was able to get up to speed quicker and maintain there for a longer period of time, so our average speed went up significantly and it takes less effort. Also, with the flat bar on the surly, I was sitting more upright with more weight on my butt, after a while my back hurts even with frequent stretching and standing up on the pedals.

3) Hammock vs tent - in both instance, I packed a hennessy hammock instead of a tent even though I bought one specifically for bikepacking. That worked out OK. I was able to find suitable trees on the camp group and stayed close to everyone. The advantages of the hammock are light weight, easy and quick take down and put up, takes less luggage space, natural cooling effect helps promote better sleep.

4) The Compass tires are awesome. We encountered a stretch of road construction, so rode on flat, smooth gravel for about 1-2 miles. I was flying. I did worry beforehand about the durability of the compass tires to take extreme beating from rough road conditions. Unless it's pure MTB-type technical tracks, I think these tires will do just fine on the average gravel roads but I will limit the exposure to maybe 10-15% of the entire journey.

5) Travel light. For short trips like these, we really don't need to carry all that junk with us. You will be amazed how much we can get by without. I would not try to carry more than I did on the Merlin, which is probably about 20-30 pounds of gear, it just seems to be the optimal weight to carry. Anything more than that, I would rather call the Surly into duty to provide added stability and load handling capabilities.

6) We were caught in the rain both times and the waterproof ortlieb bags worked out great, they kept everything inside dry. The fenders do help to keep the over spray down and the shoes from carrying boat load of water but if it rains, expect to get wet no matter what.

7) I swapped out the double compact road crankset on my Merlin for a triple road crankset before the trip. It was the right move. Could I have gone over all the hills with the compact, sure...but when you are carrying a load and going up a steep ramp, you are probably not going to go that much faster with a compact or a regular standard crank, why don't just spin some smaller gears and save the legs?

8) Normal brakes work just fine, don't need disc. I had Paul canti brakes on the Merlin, they worked well and more than sufficient for the job.

9) I used normal platform pedals along with a pair of Keen Clearwater sandals and Injinji toe socks. That really free me up to walk anywhere I want, dispense the need for another pair of shoes (slippers or whatever), multi-use as in walking around the campground, go take showers, walk along or in the creek bed or do some hiking in the trails - one shoe does it all, stay cool and comfortable despite the triple digit temperature. Yeah, I lose a bit of the leverage that cleats afford but no big deal.

10) The revelate frame bag worked out well. It provides easy access to things that I use regularly like snacks bars, batteries, money/wallet. It does have a lesser effect on handling than say a handlebar bag because of its central location and still serves the same function. I will use it again.

I think I prefer the touring setup I had on the Merlin. It allows me to go at a faster pace to reach my destination fresher and earlier in the day. By faster, I don't mean like a hammerfest but just moving at a good clip and feeling the exhilaration of speed and motion. It also sort of limit me to only bringing the stuff that I really need and not go overboard.

It's possible that just about any road bike can double up for short bikepacking trips because you can find fixtures and adaptors for just about anything but then the consideration perhaps is the ability to accommodate fatter tires and perhaps fenders.

Again, travel light if possible. :p

christian
08-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Once I installed the Gas Tank and Tangle I didn't didn't notice they conflicted with one another. I haven't used the Gas Tank at the seatpost/TT junction. I believe the Jerry Can is intended for that spot and is a little narrower than the Gas Tank.

Yep, the gas tank is for the TT/HT and jerry can for TT/Seatpost, they are definitely shaped and designed for those specific uses.

I used the Gas Tank in the "correct" position for the first 50 miles, as seen in the attached picture, until I gave up on that.

The issue there is that if you use the anterior strap around the steerer in the lower position the Gas Tank literally flops side to side on every pedal stroke and bonks you in the knees each time you stand. If I had some massive spacer stack under my bars, I could use one of the higher positions of the anterior strap and prevent that, but neither my road bike nor either of my mountain bikes have enough exposed steerer to do that. #becausepro (LOL, not really, I use very minimal drop.)

I think, ultimately, they should just say, "Don't buy this unless you have 3.5" of steerer under your stem." Alternately, it may be that I carried too much heavy stuff (a phone and some sunscreen) in it, and that it's really designed for super-light loads.

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4497.JPG

eBAUMANN
08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
that does look pretty big on there, could see it floppin around for sure.

numbskull
08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Very helpful and thank you for taking the time to post it.

ripvanrando
08-10-2016, 03:11 PM
This is my setup....I can't get the picture to load.

I did 4,600 miles and change over 29 days using the Revelate Viscacha, gastank, small Zipp toptube bag for cash, CC, and other small stuff , and a Swift Industry Paloma handlebar bag.

I don't care for frame bags and prefer having easy access to stuff in a handlebar bag.

The Viscacha is not water proof but is very secure. The leakiness was not a huge problem but could be a consideration for some.

The gas tank strap fit my stem and was very secure even after I broke the strap. I like this bag a lot.

Bike and gear was around 35 pounds. Two brand new tires ruptured spectacularly riding over a stone.

benb
08-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Doesn't revelate market this stuff for bikes with a MTB/Trekking bar? That could have some effect on the gas tank back when it's at the front of the TT.

I have the Viscacha, I've really only used it once for a self supported century with variable weather/need to carry food. Unfortunately my legs hit it at the bottom of the pedal stroke unless I'm super super careful to position it exactly right. I use/used it on my gravel bike, which doesn't have a lot of exposed seat post. I think if I used it on my mountain bike I would be able to set it up differently and it would not interfere with my legs.

That Gas Tank bank would absolutely hit my legs during the pedal stroke if I put it on the back. No way around it.

I have panniers too and have used them a lot more. For me the panniers are better until you stand up. Since you need to stand a lot more on the trail I would definitely feel more secure with the bike packing gear.

I am assuming as the fall and winter arrive I will be using the Viscacha a lot more. My use case for it is really for changing NE weather during longer day rides. I had several rides this spring before I bought it where the temp was in the high 20s when I left and got to the mid 50s. That requires stowing a ridiculous amount of clothes in the middle of the ride.

Construction of the Revelate gear seems top notch, my panniers are Blackburn and they are pretty trashy compared to the Revelate stuff.

Neil
08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Great idea for a thread, here's the Apidura range - this is almost a full house:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8824/28211219504_241976100e_b.jpg

The handlebar pack is pretty small, that's so it can go on my KAAD12 as well as the CX bike.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8018/28797295096_75d4b4a182_b.jpg

To be honest the handlebar pack is there to provide a mount for what Apidura terms the accessory pouch, which is what you can see in the picture above - a handy place to grab food etc from.

Neil
08-10-2016, 03:29 PM
The attachment straps are very good - a little long for my steel tubes maybe!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8763/28211682244_8b9c9d6c8a_b.jpg

ripvanrando
08-10-2016, 03:35 PM
is the Apidura tailbag water proof?

I'm doing a 2.600 mile race in October and expect a lot of rain.

Neil
08-10-2016, 03:39 PM
The fabric is waterproof, but they say not to expect the seams to be.

They sell a range that is marketed as being 100% waterproof, but I thought I'd just pack my stuff inside big ziplock bags if I was heading out during a period when rain was due.

christian
08-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Cool review and cool adventure. How far east / north you went into MA?On Monday, I started in Housatonic Meadows, rode over Riga/Mt. Washington, had an afternoon snack in Great Barrington, then backtracked to Bash Bish Falls, and then rode to Taconic State Park in NY.

Christian, next time you have to go tandem bikepacking!Next time, you and I should do a San Juan MTB hut trip. If you convince Ivy, I'll convince Lindsay.

Doesn't revelate market this stuff for bikes with a MTB/Trekking bar? That could have some effect on the gas tank back when it's at the front of the TT.It does, but I've test fitted it on my 5010, and frankly, it's not a lot better. I will try to do a full trip with my 5010 or Giant Reign in the next two weeks.

That Gas Tank bank would absolutely hit my legs during the pedal stroke if I put it on the back. No way around it.Actually, quite surprisingly, this wasn't an issue at all. It brushed my legs ever so slightly, but it was fine. With baggies, I'd not even have noticed.

Construction of the Revelate gear seems top notch, my panniers are Blackburn and they are pretty trashy compared to the Revelate stuff.This is true. The Revelate stuff is very sturdy and well-stitched, and uses a lot of waterproof zippers. If anything, for me, it's tougher, and thus heavier, than I need it to be. If I could get it all in Dyneema, XPac, and Cuben....

Neil
08-10-2016, 03:57 PM
The Apidura stuff is very light- I could chuck the whole lot on the scale if anyone was interested in that level of detail.

R3awak3n
08-10-2016, 04:13 PM
All the touring I have done have been with bikepacking bags (well and a front bag on a rack). I like it for the most part, really makes you conscious of what you bring or not and that is good and bad. I always pack so much stuff the bags are so tight, always a pain to put everything back in.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13707072_1657627191164544_2086000665_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTMwNjAzNzczMTA3NjI0NzIzMw%3D%3D.2

quick all nighter a couple of weeks ago. big front bag, big saddle bag and my new favorite which is the feed bag.

If I was going for more days I would have added a tangle bag. I do think next time I might go with front low riders and small panniers instead of the frame bag/saddle bag.

christian
08-10-2016, 04:34 PM
The Apidura stuff is very light- I could chuck the whole lot on the scale if anyone was interested in that level of detail.

Yes, I'd be interested, especially if you can do each piece. I'll do the same for my Revelate gear.

adampaiva
08-10-2016, 04:53 PM
If I understand your reasoning for saying the bikepacking setup is just a tolerable substitute, I think I agree. But for riding where the roads get pretty rough, as in rougher than smooth dirt and gravel, then I find the bikepacking is preferred. I have had problems with my Ortlieb panniers rattling off on rough roads. If smooth sailing, I like panniers for keeping the weight low and they are easier to pack and access than the bikepacking stuff.

My bikepacking setup is Oveja Negra seatbag + their drybag handlebar loader + their lunchbox add-on to the drybag loader. I was impressed and very happy with all of it.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/632/20975852121_f2aa69b1ac_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/xXyJ3M)20150823-DSC00119.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/xXyJ3M) by Adam Paiva (https://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/), on Flickr
I'm wanting to add a little bit more storage to my set up with a Jandd frame bag. I prefer that shape that fills up the front section of the frame triangle versus the top half. Just trying to determine if it will fit my frame correctly and/or interfere with the downtube shifters.

Have also run front rack/lowrider panniers multiple times on the same bike.
https://c8.staticflickr.com/4/3918/14773740215_c6c0a4d6cc_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ovvhfT)20140721-P1040858.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ovvhfT) by Adam Paiva (https://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/), on Flickr

christian
08-10-2016, 05:06 PM
If I understand your reasoning for saying the bikepacking setup is just a tolerable substitute, I think I agree. But for riding where the roads get pretty rough, as in rougher than smooth dirt and gravel, then I find the bikepacking is preferred.Yes, the intent of my bike packing gear is for it to go on my SC 5010 and Giant Reign for bike packing. Since those are both FS MTBs, racks are not an option. That said, I have seen people use bikepacking gear for road tours (and this site is quite road-oriented), so I thought people might appreciate a perspective on how it worked on a road tour (tolerably, all things considered).

For true mtb, where minimizing unsprung weight and actually being able to move about on the bike during technical climbs and descents, bike packing gear is the right, and really only, choice.

christian
08-10-2016, 05:13 PM
How were the bugs? I see the tarp+groundsheet being used by the west coast folks but given my experience kayak camping in the North East I couldn't imaging trying it without a tent with full screen coverage (like a Big Agnes Fly Creek ...)I wore arm warmers at night, used a headnet, and put on a little Off Deep Woods. I didn't get any bites that I can tell. It would have been smart to bring lightweight pants or leg warmers because it was too hot to use the sleeping bag, even as a quilt, the first night. But CT/NY is not Maine. If you get my drift.

fiamme red
08-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Two brand new tires ruptured spectacularly riding over a stone.Were you able to repair them, or did you have to buy new ones?

ripvanrando
08-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Were you able to repair them, or did you have to buy new ones?

Not repairable

The first rupture had me booting and rebooting for 500 miles until I got to a bike shop starting with Park boots that tended to last 20-50 miles moving onto combinations of duct tape, patches, pieces of plastic found on the road epoxied to various other objects found. I had ten flats in 50 miles with this first casing rupture and of course, it was raining. I had a spare (28 mm Conti GP 4K sii) for the second rupture that really self destructed at 50 miles. I got smart and carried a spare after the first catastrophe.

BobbyJones
08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
If I understand your reasoning for saying the bikepacking setup is just a tolerable substitute, I think I agree. But for riding where the roads get pretty rough, as in rougher than smooth dirt and gravel, then I find the bikepacking is preferred. I have had problems with my Ortlieb panniers rattling off on rough roads. If smooth sailing, I like panniers for keeping the weight low and they are easier to pack and access than the bikepacking stuff.

A little thread drift to add on to the above- I couldn't make bike packing gear work for me. But along the same lines as Adam, I couldn't stand Ortliebs rattling around. I've found the Arkel Drylites an excellent pannier for my use: lightweight, mounting system is easy to use and with the overall design keep everything compressed and rattle-free.

I even started using them with my daily commute. Although not as robust as Ortleibs, I'm not riding to the Himalayas and I'm overall pretty easy on gear. And they're inexpensive enough to replace every once in a while if need be.

guido
08-10-2016, 08:16 PM
But CT/NY is not Maine. If you get my drift.
Quite true. Thanks!

etu
08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Going for a 5 day tour in the Sand Hills of Nebraska starting on Sunday with almost exactly the same setup, except no gas tank. I am choosing the bikepacking gear over traditional panniers because daily distances are a bit long (@90miles). Will post my impression at the end of the trip, but riding around town, the bike seems to handle the weight pretty well even with 3 liters of water in the frame pack.

owly
08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Enjoyed reading the posts on the subject.

Have just recently begun trying out my road bike for gravel rides.
Thinking about a bit of light/short bikepacking down the track.

Recently purchased some Compass 28c and 32c, which I really like.

Tested the Apidura top-tube bag (long version) last weekend.
20mm of spacers below my stem, so the strap did squash down a bit when wrapped around. Thought about trimming the strap down a bit, but once the top tube straps are in place its fine. No swaying; nice and solid.

Purchased this bag as I read online it was a bit narrower than others (was concerned that my knees would hit it when out of the saddle).
No need to worry. Its a great bag.

Now I'm hanging out for my next ride this weekend.

gomango
08-10-2016, 09:35 PM
My fishin' machine.

Basically a stock Fargo with some Revelate/Madden bags.

Haul this around on the fire roads near our family cabin near the BWCA.

Usually drag around a BOB trailer to bring the float tube or the Folbot.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1699/25600622806_d1ac19c286_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/F1eTfo)IMG_3021 (https://flic.kr/p/F1eTfo) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7662/17773575816_39783ebcef_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/t5AdSm)IMG_2308 (https://flic.kr/p/t5AdSm) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2919/14589597713_4a3be25888_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oeev7a)IMG_2019 (https://flic.kr/p/oeev7a) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

While I didn't drag this Lund in with the bike, we do chase these nice BWCA Smallies. Plenty of these to be had without a big 18' Lund. :)

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5594/14624567227_f4e370bb6f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ohjJjP)Big BWCA Smallie. (https://flic.kr/p/ohjJjP) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

guido
08-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Nice Bass!

classtimesailer
08-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Can we see your Fargo with the Bob and the Folbot?

adampaiva
08-11-2016, 09:27 AM
A little thread drift to add on to the above- I couldn't make bike packing gear work for me. But along the same lines as Adam, I couldn't stand Ortliebs rattling around. I've found the Arkel Drylites an excellent pannier for my use: lightweight, mounting system is easy to use and with the overall design keep everything compressed and rattle-free.

I even started using them with my daily commute. Although not as robust as Ortleibs, I'm not riding to the Himalayas and I'm overall pretty easy on gear. And they're inexpensive enough to replace every once in a while if need be.

hmm. I hadn't known about the Arkel dry-lites. They look pretty interesting.

gomango
08-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Can we see your Fargo with the Bob and the Folbot?

Absolutely!

Will take some shots next time we head up to Ely.

The family cabin is on the Birch Lake flowage.

About a stone's throw from the BWCA.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/4/3893/14382829020_db32803791_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nUXKYG)Family cabin on the edge of the BWCA (https://flic.kr/p/nUXKYG) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

https://c5.staticflickr.com/3/2914/14382836940_cc733bdaeb_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nUXNkf)IMG_2028 (https://flic.kr/p/nUXNkf) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

gomango
08-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Nice Bass!

Thanks.

Loads of big Smallies on Birch Lake.

Our favorite Smallmouth lake is 23 miles into the BWCA.

Like shooting them in a barrel.

Sometimes we bring float tubes and other times we bring the boats.

We go in on a fire road with the bikes.

I also have a Yeti SB5C but I can't trailer anything with it.

We just use the Fargo and my son's ECR for trailering things.

Big adventure and fun each time.

guido
08-11-2016, 12:41 PM
I have done Algonquin but not BWCA. It definitely is moving up my list of getaways! Been too long since i caught a smallmouth...

:beer:

gomango
08-11-2016, 12:47 PM
I have done Algonquin but not BWCA. It definitely is moving up my list of getaways! Been too long since i caught a smallmouth...

:beer:

Let me know if you ever decide to head this way.

Happy to set you up with some maps and GPS coordinates. :)

guido
08-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Let me know if you ever decide to head this way.

Happy to set you up with some maps and GPS coordinates. :)

I will indeed! Thanks so much!

etu
08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Did 320miles over 4 days all on pavement with this setup.
Pros
- ability to use any road bike for touring. that's a pretty big plus
- bike handling seem unaffected for the most part

Cons
- i used a non-revelate gas tank type of bag which was terrible, too much sway, too wide, affected my pedaling
- couldn't bring a real tent, used a bivy for the first time and it turns out i am not really into sleeping in a glorified trash bag.
- i am pretty sure i can repack to accomodate a tent, but it will require some thought - an additional effort which isn't necessary on a standard touring setup

Western Nebraska and the Sandhills are amazing places to ride, but there can be long distances between services (once 75 miles and another 54miles). that combined with 90 degree heat and no cover meant carrying lots of water which was easy to do with a water bladder in the frame bag.

Overall, I am pretty excited about this added versatility that bikepacking gear provides. Although weight wasn't as crucial because the terrain wasn't mountainous (but there were plenty of hills!), I was pleasantly surprised how well I got along with a low gear of 34x28.

IFRider
08-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Christian, next time you have to go tandem bikepacking!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13912607_10153967586002872_6107662899465862505_n.j pg?oh=5f76dc53b6f881146c16b717006c2520&oe=58173CEB

Going on a quick bike tour on on Comotion with my 12 year old son next weekend and think of doing it in the future as a bike packing trip as opposed to the front/rear panniers.

Warren

marciero
08-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Looking at Christian's gear in the original post-much intrigued with the MLD tarp. Is a bit cheaper than the Hyperlight cuben tarp, which incidentally are made right down the road from me.

Did an overnight ride last week with a bivouac at the top of Jefferson Notch in NH, using just a Nemo pad and a SOL emergency bivvy. I put the pad inside the bivvy. Was plenty warm and comfy, except for the condensation in the bivvy. I ended up using it just as a blanket.
My riding buddy had the SOL Escape bivvy and reported no condensation. That is advertised as breathable. It also has a zipper and can enclose around you like a good mummy bag. Is waterproof too. Will probably get one of those and use with pad and no sleeping bag the next trip. Adding the tarp would be nice too.

eippo1
08-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Those of you with frame bags and water bottles. How did you fare with getting bottles in and out? I've done a few test rides and find it to be a huge pita.

ColonelJLloyd
08-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Those of you with frame bags and water bottles. How did you fare with getting bottles in and out? I've done a few test rides and find it to be a huge pita.

Especially on frames that weren't designed around a frame bag, it can be an issue. I just bought a pair of side loading cages to mitigate this.

christian
08-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Looking at Christian's gear in the original post-much intrigued with the MLD tarp. Is a bit cheaper than the Hyperlight cuben tarp, which incidentally are made right down the road from me.I love the cuben MLD Grace Duo. I got the Duo because I frequently backpack with my kids and all three of us can fit pretty comfortably under the Duo, but the added benefit when you go solo is that because of the broad coverage area, you really don't need a bivy to protect from rain water splashing off the ground. The only downside to my mind between the Duo and the Solo is that it obviously requires more room to pitch. On top of that, the stitching and construction is first-rate, and dealing with Ron at MLD is always a pleasure. I also have an MLD Exodus backpack for backpacking.

gomango
08-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Especially on frames that weren't designed around a frame bag, it can be an issue. I just bought a pair of side loading cages to mitigate this.

I put King cages on the front fork of my Fargo and one on the down tube.

Works slick.