PDA

View Full Version : Riding glasses that don't suck in the heat

Tickdoc
08-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Love my smith pivlocks for comfort and lens change ease, I've got two pair of them, but it seems they garner a lot of inside sweat form my eyelashes blinking, best I can figure.

Prior to the smiths I used a set of natives that didn't suffer this problem. They aren't as big overall, but they press d against my brow well enough that they channel d sweat away from the lens.

I've tried a headband specifically for channeling, but it makes me hot and still does help the eyebrow/eyelash issue.

Im curious if this is just a me and my snuffalufagus eyelash problem, or if others suffer the same?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CXMVtrAXATc/UAJTAaHrnLI/AAAAAAAAB_U/oa_3DPhAoIc/s1600/6591461_std.jpg

nooneline
08-10-2016, 07:58 AM
i have long eyelashes and i usually set the nosepiece on Smiths so that it keeps the lenses far enough away from my eyes that my eyelashes don't touch, and so that the top of the lense doesn't touch my forehead.

ripvanrando
08-10-2016, 08:04 AM
My eyelashes aren't long and they don't hit the glass but I have the same condensation problem once the sun goes down and the dew point is reached. I kinda pull the eye wear away from my face a bit and down on my nose a bit lower. This allows enough airflow to keep them dry

why do I put up with this routine? It is the only eyewear that lets me get down low and not block my vision with the glasses' frame. I think I have the V2 model.

cmbicycles
08-10-2016, 08:06 AM
I have the same issue with my Oakley half jacket xl when it is hot and humid (almost all summer). If I don't sweat its not a problem... but yeah that happens on 0.00000001% of my rides. ;) The glasses seem to collect sweat up around the top of the frame for me if I pull them away a little from my forehead it gets better, but doesn't block the wind from my eyes as well so I just deal with it.

veloduffer
08-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Being Asian, sunglasses fit is an issue since we have almost no nose bridge and lenses rest on your face.

I use Oakleys (M-frame previously and now Radar Path) which come with a set of larger nose pads to move the frame off my face. They also do the same thing with their Asian Fit for many of their models.

I sweat like Patrick Ewing, so keeping sweat off the glasses is a necessity.

Tickdoc
08-10-2016, 08:25 AM
i have long eyelashes and i usually set the nosepiece on Smiths so that it keeps the lenses far enough away from my eyes that my eyelashes don't touch, and so that the top of the lense doesn't touch my forehead.

Just for clarification, mine don't touch, but just blinking splashes the inside of the lens so it gets messy by the middle of most rides.

May not be an avoidable issue, just a part of the sport, I presume.

benb
08-10-2016, 08:31 AM
My Rudy Project Rydons do not have any issues with eyelash/eyebrow interference and/or splashing.

They are pretty much perfect for road riding. If you're MTB riding in really humid conditions they are vulnerable to water dripping down into the lenses if you get off the bike and look down at the ground (say having to walk over an obstacle).

They are very fog resistant as well but again I have still had them fog a little when mountain biking when stopping or walking.

I'm a heavy sweater FWIW.

CampyorBust
08-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Are you trying to tell me you don’t remember my bushy eyebrow thread? Don’t worry I deleted the pictures, it is safe.

As far as I am concerned there is no solution other than clear cutting.

http://www.gq.com/story/how-to-groom-thick-eyebrows

berserk87
08-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Some of that may be the helmet, and the pattern of the pads within.

When I wear my Pivlocks with my Giro Pneumo helmets, I get more sweat on the shades. When I wear my Kask Mojito, there is not so much. The Mojito has padding without gaps across the forehead and the padding is more robust.