PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager Race X-Lites '04 vs Campy

clew
04-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi,

Looking for a set of all-around clincher wheels for a c40, and considering the '04 Bontrager race X-lites (campy). I spoke to someone at the LBS, and he suggested that because of the newness of the '04 version (flangeless hubs, 80gr lighter rims), I may want to consider another wheelset (ie. like not buying the 1st year of a new model car). Does anyone have any feedback on these wheels? How would they compare in ride quality to the Campy Neutron or Eurus wheels (clinchers)? I am 160 lbs, live in the bay area, enjoy fast rides, and do alot of climbing.

thanks in advance...

cl

Bill Bove
04-05-2004, 05:08 AM
I ride both sets of Campy wheels and sometimes mix them, Eurus rear/Neutron front (lighter) both are great and will work fine as daily drivers. I sell Trek bikes with Bonty wheels and they are fine too. You may want to consider the Race X Light Aero for the added strength or even mixing them, Aero back, X Light up front. So far no problems with the new design and I have confidence in them. Either way you will be O.K.

Legend_1970
04-05-2004, 08:51 AM
If you want light weight for climbing, maybe consider tubulars.
Otherwise, maybe check out a custom built set for less than the Eurus's or Racelites (your local shop, Speed Dream, etc.). They'll likely be lighter than either pair you mentioned.

SteveE
04-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I am 160 lbs, live in the bay area, enjoy fast rides, and do alot of climbing.Hey that sounds like me! I ride mostly on the Peninsula (OLH, Hwy 9, Page Mill, Tunitas Creek, Hwy 84, Alpine, Skyline, etc.). FWIW, I am very happy with the Campy Neutrons I received 2 years ago. I've probably put 10K miles on them in that span of time. I've hit some nasty potholes at speed and the wheels are still true. I had to replace the bearings and one of the cones on the rear hub but that was my fault for not paying attention to roughness in the hub.

BTW, don't you want some nice Italian wheels to go with the C40?

clew
04-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Yes, you are right. It would be appropriate to have a campy wheel to complete the "italian" bike. I am looking at a new, '04 bontrager x'lite for $475 delivered, or an '02 Nucleon, used, ~1k miles, for $375 delivered. Both are a pretty good deal, I think, but I have only seen pics of each, and like the idea of new wheels...thanks for the feedback...