PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon NO! Another distraction for the road

William
08-09-2016, 02:31 PM
(Broke out of the Food Distraction thread)

I was finishing a ride last week and I pulled up into my driveway and dismounted my bike. I reached down and grabbed a water bottle to get a drink when I notice a guy cruising by the house in a pick up truck going pretty slowly...left hand on the wheel, right hand holding his cell phone under his left arm resting on the door. It looked like he was videoing my place and he drove by. I'm thinking what the hell was that about?

I mentioned it to my family and said to keep an eye out for a white pick up truck in the area. A couple days later my son tells me he saw another guy driving by slowly with his phone out in a similar fashion. I'm thinking ***, is someone casing our house?

Then on Sunday my son and I are driving up our road and we pass a guy driving with his cell phone hanging out the window. "Did you see that?" I said to my son who acknowledged he saw it as well. When we got home we walked in the house and told my wife and daughter about it. My daughter replied, "oh yeah so and so up the street told me there is a Pokemon hot spot right around our place." Something like four of them in the area.

On the one hand I'm glad it wasn't someone casing the place, but on the other hand...now I have to consider another distraction to people driving their cars when I'm out on the bike!!

Dolt: "Sorry your honor, I didn't see him because there where four Pokemon's right there, I had to catch them!"

Judge: "Well, in that case I'll let you off with a warning. He shouldn't have been riding his bike in the road anyway."

Pokemon No!!
:roll eyes:

William

AngryScientist
08-09-2016, 02:38 PM
the fact that any adult participates in something so stupid has me worried about the world we live in.

gasman
08-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Pokemon go is only one of many reasons to worry about our world.

But man, it's just one more distraction for drivers, it's hard to believe drivers would be so dumb.

cdn_bacon
08-09-2016, 02:44 PM
with your hotspot William. Don't envy you in the least.

Lost my bike path to these wanderers. Took even a different path the other day. Guy in front of me on his Specialized, clipped in pedalling, slowing down, pedalling, drifting. He was a big guy, couldn't see past him. he finally let me by as he unclipped. because he caught his Pokemon. I saw the screen and him hit the button. And I just rode on by shaking my head.

Have nothing against the game, it's the people that are getting oblivious

benb
08-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Yelled at a 40+ year old child the other night on the bike path weaving drunkenly on his mountain bike as he played Pokemon Go when he almost hit my son.

It is totally out of control here. Haven't really seen auto & motorcycle drivers doing it but the bicyclists are out of control. The MUT right near us is some kind of Pokemon hot spot. It is > 50% of the MUT traffic now playing that stupid game. Of those people 50/50 split between walkers (fine) and bicyclists (definitely not fine).

thegunner
08-09-2016, 03:14 PM
the fact that any adult participates in something so stupid has me worried about the world we live in.

i'm an adult (debatably), i happen to play. it's a great time killer...

in fact, most of my office plays, guess we all need :help:

Davist
08-09-2016, 03:43 PM
an acquaintance totaled his truck this week (single car accident, thank goodness) and the cop said "not the first Pokemon accident TODAY" yikes.

rnhood
08-09-2016, 04:07 PM

Agree. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

etu
08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Every evening after dinner, my wife and my seven son year old son go out together for a nice walk together and play Pokemon Go. It's been a wonderful thing for us and probably is for the vast majority of folks out there. But of course as with everything else, there are people who don't use their best judgment.

rwerkudara
08-09-2016, 04:33 PM
I don't play myself, but my company is part of a health wellness program and many employees have been walking 10,000+ steps a day catching Pokemon (not sure if I used the term correctly). It has it's benefits if used safely.

wildboar
08-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Same thing in my home town. There are now scores of human zombies standing in the middle of the bike trail staring at screens.

unterhausen
08-09-2016, 05:31 PM
maybe they should let us flag them like strava does with dangerous segments. Of course, then we would all have to d/l the game.

They have been tweaking it so it's worthless to try to play while driving. I guess people will still drive around looking though. Have heard of people on bikes causing problems, but the only people acting like idiots playing it have been my colleagues

echappist
08-09-2016, 05:33 PM
maybe they should let us flag them like strava does with dangerous segments. Of course, then we would all have to d/l the game.

They have been tweaking it so it's worthless to try to play while driving. I guess people will still drive around looking though. Have heard of people on bikes causing problems, but the only people acting like idiots playing it have been my colleagues

better yet, any movement over 5mph, and the game stops. a 4mph vehicle is still dangerous, but a lot less dangerous than a 10mph vehicle

shovelhd
08-09-2016, 06:07 PM
I was behind some numbnut playing Go with his phone out the window looking left. I nailed the horn and he put his phone away for the time being.

Plum Hill
08-10-2016, 08:12 AM
I spent three days riding the Fox River trails in the western Chicago 'burbs last week. There were far too many idiots, on bike and foot, with their heads stuck into a cell phone a foot in front of their face. I wanted to rip the phones out of their hands and smash them to the ground (phones, not idiots).

While I have to agree the phenomenon may be great for getting people to exercise, it's resulted in way too much self-absorption and lack of awareness in the surroundings.

Kobe
08-10-2016, 08:28 AM
The other night I passed a guy walking the double yellow line with his cell phone flashlight on and phone in front of his face, like that will save him.

William
08-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Made my day!! :D

https://www.facebook.com/UncleSamsMisguidedChildren.Net/videos/533886546807349/?pnref=story

William

cdn_bacon
08-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Made my day!! :D

https://www.facebook.com/UncleSamsMisguidedChildren.Net/videos/533886546807349/?pnref=story

William

Sadly if only it were allowed by us dog owners....

jfowler
08-10-2016, 12:30 PM
I have also heard of people playing Pokemon Go while riding their bikes. I guess they are trying to take the danger to the next level.

cdn_bacon
08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
I have also heard of people playing Pokemon Go while riding their bikes. I guess they are trying to take the danger to the next level.

had one in front of me two days ago, had another veer off a bike path and nearly clip me on while I was on the road. If I was a car, he wouldn't be pedalling right now.