PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been made fun of for something on their bikes?

quauhnahuac
08-09-2016, 01:42 PM
The mirror thread got me thinking. I always seem to take great care to make sure I look the "cycling" part, slammed stem, downward rise, no huge saddle bag, matching components, no mirror on a road bike, etc.

But thinking about it, I've done probably a 1-2x weekly group rides for the past 5-6 years, plus races of all types, etc. I've never heard anyone talk :butt: about anyone else for things like that. Lots of people with mirrors, upward stems, non matching components, decade old CAADx Tiagra bikes riding next to brand new Pinarellos with Campy EPS, aero helmets (complete with visors) in mtb races or group rides, etc.

The worst I've ever gotten was a "nice knees" during a cold cyclocross race where I didn't wear full length bibs, and some other cx heckling. But I feel like in cx heckling is 100% part of the fun, so I don't think this counts.

Has anyone here ever actually been made fun of for a decision they made on their bikes?

AngryScientist
08-09-2016, 01:45 PM
of course not out loud. we're elitist roadie snobs. if we dont approve of your bike and kit, we're obviously not going to talk to you, but dont worry - we're judging you; and we will have a good laugh at your expense behind your back sipping espresso after the ride. by the way, of course you're not invited to have espresso.

Matthew
08-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Never anything bike related by other cyclists but I do get from co-workers: Do you wear those silly/gay or whatever "biker shorts?"

quauhnahuac
08-09-2016, 01:46 PM
of course not out loud. We're elitist roadie snobs. If we dont approve of your bike and kit, we're obviously not going to talk to you, but dont worry - we're judging you; and we will have a good laugh at your expense behind your back sipping espresso after the ride. By the way, of course you're not invited to have espresso.

:d :d :d

carpediemracing
08-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Me, for my bike. But I think that's sort of natural because my bike.

54ny77
08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
i don't ride with people who feel themselves self-appointed bike "style" experts, because for the most part (and i'm generalizing here) they haven't done squat on a bike other than take themselves a little too seriously. and that includes creating an internet "persona" if you will. the guys i ride with most often have a race & bike industry history longer than a greek diner menu, and none of them even bother to opine on my fat gut and hairy legs. well some of them might joke a little, but they'll also tow me along and give an extra boost when needed on a hilly ride. in other words, they're good people and what i'd consider friends. they've got absolutely nothing to prove on a bike by putting someone else down.

christian
08-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Once. Banana seat. I was 8. Got over it.

seanile
08-09-2016, 02:14 PM
this was the first bike i built up myself..what do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/b1pkhg5.jpg?1

Hindmost
08-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Years ago I had a bike with an all white frame and I put on that Cinelli cork tape that looked like tutti futti in arc en ciel colors.

I take style seriously and I thought it was very cool. Some companions razzed be about the tape. Haters...

weisan
08-09-2016, 02:23 PM
this was the first bike i built up myself..what do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/b1pkhg5.jpg?1

seanile pal, I think you might have forgotten to include a couple of postcards or pictures on da spokes...:D

http://5932-presscdn-0-90.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/fixie-cards-spokes-1024x717.jpg

pasadena
08-09-2016, 02:24 PM
I've rarely heard anything that wasn't good natured ribbing between friends.

velotrack
08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
aero helmets (complete with visors) in mtb races or group rides, etc.

I would likely laugh to myself about this.

SeanScott
08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
I have a friend that only uses Super Record for his builds but uses Chinese carbon tubular wheels.

Have another friend that covers his bikes with bags. Looks like he could survive the apocalypse with all the crap he brings.

Waldo
08-09-2016, 02:34 PM
I had a white Cinelli Supercorsa that my wife called a wedding dress, which I took as mild trash talking. For a while in the 90s, I had one side of the bars on my Merlin taped in purple and the other in bright early 90s green. The tape was the only bit of color on this bike. That was popular with the crowd. I have a friend who refers to my Weigle as "Mr. Wiggly," though he's the squirrelier rider of the two of us.

William
08-09-2016, 02:39 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7083/13894255425_5e2104ef1a_b.jpg

I liked them but they apparently bothered some other riders. I didn't hear it directly from them though... :D

William

Seramount
08-09-2016, 02:44 PM
pretty sure most riders have personal thresholds for what is functionally and/or aesthetically acceptable gear / attire...

actually voicing objections to someone who has different standards is probably where most of us would draw the line tho.

Dr Luxurious
08-09-2016, 02:44 PM
my legs

EDS
08-09-2016, 02:49 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7083/13894255425_5e2104ef1a_b.jpg

I liked them but they apparently bothered some other riders. I didn't hear it directly from them though... :D

William

Interestingly I read an article about Leadville on Bike Rumor this morning and one of the things people are looking at is aerodynamics, and things like aero helmets, aerobars, etc. have all been used and will be more common in the years ahead.

MaraudingWalrus
08-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I've occasionally heard people wondering if the fat kid on the fixie is going to slow down the ride...

Most of them didn't ask that anymore after I "won" all the sprints...

sparky33
08-09-2016, 02:58 PM
of course not out loud. we're elitist roadie snobs. if we dont approve of your bike and kit, we're obviously not going to talk to you, but dont worry - we're judging you; and we will have a good laugh at your expense behind your back sipping espresso after the ride. by the way, of course you're not invited to have espresso.

:hello:

In any case, this goofy bike or kit problem usually takes care of itself:
1. The offender fails to keep up and just goes away.
OR
2. The offender exhibits remarkable power and speed, silencing any justifiable contempt. Though a friendly ribbing would still be in order because because.

dustyrider
08-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Only on the Internet!

sparky33
08-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Also, "making fun" is not accurate.

Some friendly advice mixed with humor is more like it. This is how the ways of cycling are passed on. I am certain I broke every rule way back when. I'm sure that some still cringe at some of my remaining deviations.

Further, it is a particularly fine moment to catch an exceptionally proper rider who lets some detail fall by the wayside, because it is that person who takes the remark to heart the most. My my, did your dryer shrink your socks again? The rest of us are hopeless and well beyond criticism.

bcroslin
08-09-2016, 03:03 PM
The mirror thread got me thinking. I always seem to take great care to make sure I look the "cycling" part, slammed stem, downward rise, no huge saddle bag, matching components, no mirror on a road bike, etc.

But thinking about it, I've done probably a 1-2x weekly group rides for the past 5-6 years, plus races of all types, etc. I've never heard anyone talk :butt: about anyone else for things like that. Lots of people with mirrors, upward stems, non matching components, decade old CAADx Tiagra bikes riding next to brand new Pinarellos with Campy EPS, aero helmets (complete with visors) in mtb races or group rides, etc.

The worst I've ever gotten was a "nice knees" during a cold cyclocross race where I didn't wear full length bibs, and some other cx heckling. But I feel like in cx heckling is 100% part of the fun, so I don't think this counts.

Has anyone here ever actually been made fun of for a decision they made on their bikes?

You may not hear about it on the ride but believe me they're talking $h!t about you at the coffee shop.

d_douglas
08-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Ha ha - well, I am sure comments have been made of me for being 200lbs and riding a pimp Speedvagen, but that is personal and not about the bike. I guess I don't have a right to ride it, in some people's eyes.

I did have someone tell me I should have a second waterbottle cage on my Vagen, just cuz. I explained that I have never in my life drunk more than a bottle of water on a ride, so it wasn't necessary, but they insisted it was. Clearly, he knows my body better than I do.

What else? My Cinelli had a Record TRIPLE crankset on it and someone asked me why (assuming that triple setups are bad). I got the crankset for a good deal was my reply.

Judgemental folks.

Joxster
08-09-2016, 03:44 PM
When I was a rep, a shop talked me into turning up for a group ride, so I took along a sample road bike. This ride was a Rapha/Colnago/Wanker ride and they took the piss out of the fat balding bloke who only had a Raleigh with 105. I sat at the back of the group listening to the tutting and the we'll drop him by the turn as its a headwind back. So with 40km to go, the afore mentioned fat, balding bloke sat on the front at 28mph all the way back to the shop leaving the bunch in tatters and trailing in upto 45mins behind, someone started to give out to the shop owner that it was meant to be a controlled ride. At which point he replied that it was controlled by a fat old guy and if you want to slag someone off for the kit they ride then you better accept the kicking they will give you, and if you hang around he will be giving a talk on nutrition, training and general prep for racing.

Dave B
08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
When I was a rep, a shop talked me into turning up for a group ride, so I took along a sample road bike. This ride was a Rapha/Colnago/Wanker ride and they took the piss out of the fat balding bloke who only had a Raleigh with 105. I sat at the back of the group listening to the tutting and the we'll drop him by the turn as its a headwind back. So with 40km to go, the afore mentioned fat, balding bloke sat on the front at 28mph all the way back to the shop leaving the bunch in tatters and trailing in upto 45mins behind, someone started to give out to the shop owner that it was meant to be a controlled ride. At which point he replied that it was controlled by a fat old guy and if you want to slag someone off for the kit they ride then you better accept the kicking they will give you, and if you hang around he will be giving a talk on nutrition, training and general prep for racing.

This is effing awesome!

Would love to be able to do that, love the stories!

pinkshogun
08-09-2016, 03:59 PM
riding steel in a carbon/aluminum world its bound to happen....throw in matching front and rear Acorn bags (cosmetic cases says a good friend), tall Nitto stem and baggy shorts means i've heard my share

cmbicycles
08-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Great story.

bcroslin
08-09-2016, 04:49 PM

So awesome.

Llewellyn
08-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Priceless :beer:

R3awak3n
08-09-2016, 05:05 PM

That guy was representing for use big dudes ahah.

I don't usually make fun of someone for their choice of bike or what they are wearing. Sure I would never put a mirror on my bike and would not run a foot of spacers, or even have those melty saddles (SMP) lol but if you want to rock it, go right ahead.

I actually would make fun of a super serious roadie before someone that does not follow cycling "etiquette"

makoti
08-09-2016, 05:34 PM
My club had a guy who would come out to every ride on a piece of junk with no tape on the bars, tennis shoes, and basic shorts. I think he wore gloves. Maybe. Anyway, first time I rode with Alan, I was like "this won't last long". And I was right. He dumped me in about ten miles. I spent the rest of the ride just trying to hang on his wheel. After a few rides, I finally asked about the bars. It just looked so uncomfortable. Why no tape? He said he just put on new bars and wasn't sure he had the brake hoods in the right spot, yet. Oh, makes sense. When did you put on the new bars? "About three years ago".
He looked like hell, but rode like it too.

ripvanrando
08-09-2016, 05:42 PM
It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

victoryfactory
08-09-2016, 06:07 PM
I actually would make fun of a super serious roadie before someone that does not follow cycling "etiquette"

This^
but I would think it, not say it since I am old, fat, slow and on a metal bike.
VF

R3awak3n
08-09-2016, 06:39 PM
This^
but I would think it, not say it since I am old, fat, slow and on a metal bike.
VF

same here... I abide by if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself.

ripvanrando
08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
I've had some snide remarks about a rig geared up for a 24 hour event on a club ride. Bike had all the reflector tape and crap to meet the rules and honestly, it had fenders on it. The big 70 mile club ride was a recovery ride for me and no, I was not dropped. Someone told me to get that thing away from me. Too funny. It was ugly. No offense. I just made sure my old fat bones did not get dropped. I probably should have taken some of the crap off of it and cleaned it up but you can't turn a pigs ear into silk. It was an ugly bike

Llewellyn
08-09-2016, 07:12 PM
same here... I abide by if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself.

Pfffttt.....if you can't say something nice about someone then say something bad.

Only kidding, only kidding :D

R3awak3n
08-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Pfffttt.....if you can't say something nice about someone then say something bad.

Only kidding, only kidding :D

When I was in college (art school), they always told us that we had to say something good after we said something bad. Sometimes there was nothing good to say though :D

Lanternrouge
08-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I am used to being mocked for the person riding my bikes. My bikes are pretty awesome in contrast to the person usually riding them.

Tickdoc
08-09-2016, 07:41 PM
I seem to remember this saddle not getting much love around here:o
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/1F8052F2-1007-47DF-B337-4B25A157424C_zpsicoypyhq.jpg

Btw, it is still for sale if anyone is interested!

weisan
08-09-2016, 07:44 PM

When I was in college (art school), they always told us that we had to say something good after we said something bad. Sometimes there was nothing good to say though :D

That's not true. In my culture where flattery is an art form, we believe if you know where to look, there's ALWAYS something good to say, maybe not about THAT person but maybe someone or something related to him like....

"Your sister is really pretty."

or "Your dad drives a really nice car."

or "Wow, I like your new watch!"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Llewellyn
08-09-2016, 07:52 PM
That's not true. In my culture where flattery is an art form, we believe if you know where to look, there's ALWAYS something good to say, maybe not about THAT person but maybe someone or something related to him like....

"Your sister is really pretty."

or "Your dad drives a really nice car."

or "Wow, I like your new watch!"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Well.......you're no fun are you ;););)

unterhausen
08-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I was riding in the mountains of Utah in the early '90s, and some guys passed me and one of them rather snidely noted my bike was from the early '80s. Lasted me just fine until 2010 or so

BobC
08-09-2016, 08:14 PM
1. Used to train on Weinmann Concaves. Got tons of crap from the team (I would get absolutely crushed on team rides but then slay all in races. Nobody could connect the dots there. Duh.). Once, on a dare, I did a local training race with the concaves. And it was my turn to give them crap when they couldn't drop me.

2. Raced on a smoked pink Paramount for years (still my fav race bike). Got some comments, but then it all stopped when they couldn't talk -- much less breath -- during a race.

3. I still ride on Open Pros & use a Cateye Mity as my computer. Guys kinda shake their heads, but if I have to lay down the bike ,at least I don't care about destroying a $200 computer or $2K set of wheels (I come from the school of cycling that it is ALL disposable if you race).

Ti Designs
08-09-2016, 08:56 PM
There was a shop right around the corner from me that only sold fixed gears. stopped in on my Peter Mooney track bike with a Campy Delta brake on the front. They made fun of both my brake and that I wore a helmet. A few days later I found myself riding down Mass Ave behind one of the guys from the shop, both of us were on fixed gears. He put in a few all-out attacks to drop me, I had no problem keeping up. Then I decided to play, pulled up next to him in my drops, looked over and accelerated away from him. I guess if you don't have a motor you don't really need a brake...

don compton
08-09-2016, 09:04 PM
In today's age of the lightest and most aero, all I have ever received for my Riv Roadeo is compliments.
I ride with a mix of club riders and ex racers and we all ride what we love.
The funny thing about the group I ride with is that gearing and tire size and tire pressures are discussed more than whether your bike is a latest gimmick .Some of my friends ride 650b and some ride old track frames with a rear derailleur.
It's all good and unless there's some razzing going on, we appreciate each other's bikes.:beer:

carpediemracing
08-09-2016, 09:09 PM
A few things came to mind when I read some of the responses.

1. I was climbing a hill in SoCal, a hill that I struggled with before, maybe a mile long so for me a "major effort". I felt pretty good, instead of being in the 25 in the small ring I was rolling maybe the 17 or something. At the top of the hill I had to stop for a light. Guy rolled up to me. Conversation went something like this.

"You okay?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Well you were going so slowly on the hill I thought you had a mechanical."

Heh. The thing was that he was dead serious and very errr what's the word for well-intentioned. SINCERE omg my memory. When I assured him that my bike and I were okay he invited me on a 100 mile ride that was meeting just up the road. I questioned his logic, pointing out that if he thought I was climbing too slowly then inviting me out on a massive ride would be a disaster. He insisted and I did the ride. It was great, with Pete Penseyeres and his brother on it. Everyone was super nice, they all regrouped, and I had an absolute blast.

On that ride I asked the first guy about the hill. He told me that he actually lives on that hill. When he's going good he rolls a 53x14 up it, otherwise 53x15 or 17 normally. I was in a 39x17. Hence he thought something was wrong. I went back and tried the hill in the big ring and I blew up spectacularly.

2. Same area. I was climbing Palomar Mountain. It takes me 2 hours to climb the whole thing. On Strava it seems the fast mortal guys do it in about an hour (Chris Horner: 51 minutes). So I'm on the mountain somewhere, I was struggling, 39x23, maybe 39x25. Someone passing me reads the panel on my shorts.

"Connecticut! No wonder you're so slow!"

3. At a race I promote. My mom had been ill and passed away and I didn't ride much and I ate a lot. I was 215 lbs at one point (5'7") and was probably 200 lbs at one of the early races. I just got shorts that had the brand across the back of the shorts. On my the lycra stretched like mad. My future wife got caught on tape asking me how I fit into my size L jacket (she was mortified when I played it back to her).

I'm rolling along on the course, very unusual for me to warm up. Two riders come up behind me. One guy, a good guy overall, says as he passes, "Dude, you have the fattest ass! That logo is huge!" The other rider basically hits and whispers super loudly, "That's Aki!" I was totally unrecognizable with my weight gain - even I didn't recognize myself in a picture someone took.

The "fattest ass" guy tries to backpedal. "I meant you look really strong." etc etc. I was shocked, okay, but then I sort of laughed to myself. Poor guy apologized to me for years.

4. UCONN Cycling team. Group ride. We're about to head out, 20-25 mile ride. Guy with jeans, boots, old school mountain bike (this was like 89 or 90 so all mountain bikes were old school with massive brake levers, the triangle bar/stem thing, mile long chainstays, etc), huge backpack full of books, etc.

"Mind if I ride with you a bit?"
"No problem but we're a bit limited with daylight so we need to go a certain pace." or something like that, trying to be polite about it.
"Okay."

He finished the ride with us, 20 pounds of books or whatever notwithstanding. I learn later he was one of the Juniors I hero worshipped in the area when I was a Junior. As another demoralized Junior rider put it, "It's one thing to be undefeated in boxing. It's another to be undefeated in cycling." He was one of the top Juniors in the country, went to Junior Worlds, etc, but apparently had a back problem and had to stop for a bit. He had just started school. Very nice guy, very humble.

smontanaro
08-10-2016, 10:08 AM
I generally ride Look KeO pedals and a rapidly aging pair of Lake shoes. I have been collecting quill pedals of various types in anticipation of returning to "the good old days." (All my bikes are vintage pre-clipless era.)

The other day, I swapped in a pair of Specialized touring pedals (http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=cbc6b9bf-b1a1-45bf-8f88-0bee2382df1d&Enum=109) (prettiest pedals ever) on one of my bikes and decided to ride it to work today. I have a pair of Hasus VTG-03 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49705339@N00/albums/72157670511297671) vintagesque shoes which I decided to wear today (sans toe clips, sans cleats). My wife commented, "I see you're wearing your ballet slippers today."

I was crushed. (Well, not really, but still...)

El Chaba
08-10-2016, 11:30 AM
5-6 years ago I restored a late 1970's era French randonneur bike. I finished putting everything together one afternoon at about 5 pm and decided to take it for shakedown ride, so I headed out looking rather casual with cycling shorts/shoes and gloves but with a t-shirt. I headed out on a somewhat popular local bike rout to a town about 10 miles away. As I was about to turn around to head home, a group of about a dozen triathlete 30-40 somethings came by. I am not sure whay triathletes were attempting to ride in a paceline, but they were. So, I came up to the back of their group and was summarily informed that they were about to go "really fast" so I had better be careful and prepare to be dropped. I asked if it was okay to hang on as long as I could...as much as anything wondering what "really fast" looked like to a group like this. After a mile or so, another one commented that it wasn't cool to be there without taking a turn at the front...The whole time I was getting comments-almost by everybody- that I needed a tri-bike, why did I have fenders, a handlebar bag was not aerodynamic, etc...In any event, I went up to take my turn at the front...which I did, but slowly accelerated by 2-3 mph...AsI pulled off, I could see that we dropped a few and that a few more were struggling...Soon, I went up front again-before my turn- in feigned helpfulness to aid the guy in front in making the group go faster...Then I dropped all pretense and went ahead and drove the group, and moved a little to the edge to shut off shelter from the slight crosswind. As we were approaching the town limit sign, there were two guys left and they were looking pretty cooked. I slowed a little to get alongside one and said" Hey...I just assembled this bike and I was wondering if you would mind telling me if the taillight works because I can't test it in the repair stand..." So I reached behind the seattube to the lever that actuates the generator and whirrrrrr...and then I went au bloc...As I rode away the last intelligible words I heard were "Jesus Christ...." There is not much left for an old man, but that was a fun day....

adamhell
08-10-2016, 11:39 AM
when I went to school at UC Santa Barbara (worst mistake of my life), i was riding in a kit and these bros (redundant, i already mentioned it's UCSB) yelled from their pickup truck (duh) "YOU LOOK LIKE A F*GGOT!!!" at the top of their lungs.

i also got "hey lance!" about every fifteen seconds riding there.

danielpack22@ma
08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Back when I was doing a lot of long distance riding (brevets, double centuries, etc) I rode a Volpe. Much to the agony of my fellow club riders, I would bring this bike along whenever we rode 60+ mile group rides. I'm still not sure what they disliked the most: the bags, the fenders, the shifters, or the saddle.

During one of those long rides, the group decided to stop at a convenience store for water. As we pull up to the door, an older (very drunk) gentleman steps out onto the curb, takes one look at my bike and slurs very loudly "Heyyyy, I've gotta bike juust like that at hommmmme! (hic) Buuuut, I got myyy bike out of a dumpster!"

One of my riding companions pointed out that they were pretty sure that's where I got my bike as well.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6085/6152534415_f9a5879b6c_o.jpg

velofinds
08-10-2016, 01:07 PM
One of my riding companions pointed out that they were pretty sure that's where I got my bike as well.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6085/6152534415_f9a5879b6c_o.jpg

In reference to that classy-looking ride? What an ignorant a** bunch.

jfowler
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM
I am in Raleigh, NC at the moment and it seems like if you don't ride a fixie in tight jorts with no brakes or helmet, then you suck. I have totally been handed some trash talk for doing my own thing in my kits with my 80s steel road bike. Who cares? Still hoping to find a good group with some solid, friendly riders though.

velofinds
08-10-2016, 01:27 PM
I am in Raleigh, NC at the moment and it seems like if you don't ride a fixie in tight jorts with no brakes or helmet, then you suck. I have totally been handed some trash talk for doing my own thing in my kits with my 80s steel road bike. Who cares? Still hoping to find a good group with some solid, friendly riders though.

That's surprising. I thought we were well past peak fixie (https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=fixie).

MaraudingWalrus
08-10-2016, 01:30 PM
That's surprising. I thought we were well past peak fixie (https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=fixie).

It looks like peak fixie coincides with when that movie Premium Rush came out. As a fixie fan, I'm personally offended by that. But not surprised.

MaraudingWalrus
08-10-2016, 08:43 PM
whoops, wrong thread for my wall of text.

Rpoole8537
08-11-2016, 01:19 PM
I went on a club ride once that always had at least 120 riders broken into many different groups to try and introduce sanity. (It never did.) One much younger rider looked at my 15 year old Waterford and said, "that's just a repainted Schwinn." He was riding the latest Giant CF something to come off an assembly line in China. I just ignored him.

sandyrs
08-11-2016, 01:34 PM

It's always 2006 somewhere (or in someone's mind).

rsandoval75002
08-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Interestingly I read an article about Leadville on Bike Rumor this morning and one of the things people are looking at is aerodynamics, and things like aero helmets, aerobars, etc. have all been used and will be more common in the years ahead.

I think they were talking about the cages on the fork... :)

oldpotatoe
08-12-2016, 06:27 AM
It looks like peak fixie coincides with when that movie Premium Rush came out. As a fixie fan, I'm personally offended by that. But not surprised.

There's been a kinda of resurgence of fixie/hipster-ism around the republic..may be the weather..this guy-no top knot-so fail..not a real hipster.
:p

alessandro
08-12-2016, 11:20 AM
The four-day Green Mountain Stage Race has one stage open to amateurs & whatnot--Stage 3, the 65-mile, two-gap road race. For four years I rode it on my 1986 Cannondale ST500 touring bike, with shifters on the downtube and 27x1.25" wheels, because that was the bike I had. This race has 11 fields, so the finish area gets pretty full. One year, as I crossed the finish line at the top of Appalachian Gap, with racers and fans and announcers crowding the barriers, this guy calls out, "Hey, 1978 called--it wants its bike back." It was well played.:bike:

Dave B
08-12-2016, 11:35 AM
I think I have shared this before, but during my first ever cross race I was so anxious, scared, and not focused on anything besides "don't give up" and catch the guy in front of you that I finished and did an extra lap not knowing i had finished. The pro class had to wait for me to finish my second last lap and as i crossed the line the announcer says, "Welcome to the end of the race for the second time." I kept going and was pulled off by my buddy who had finished the race on time...being a cross race I was heckled and rightly so.

Not my brightest moment.

thirdgenbird
08-12-2016, 11:41 AM
People around these parts have commented about my Thomson setback posts.:fight:

I've also heard some comments about my alter stem. No outright criticism, but I don't think they approved.

Neither part is changing. I quite like them.

gdw
08-12-2016, 11:41 AM
I find it amusing that road cyclists are now into "bikepacking" and using gear designed for off road use for their light touring adventures. 5-6 years ago some of the local roadies viewed us as transients and would make snide remarks as they passed or were being passed. Funny how they never had anything to say when encountered at a light or stop sign....

velofinds
08-12-2016, 11:44 AM
People around these parts have commented about my Thomson setback posts.:fight:

What about them? I thought they were mainstream.

Cicli
08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
I had some slob on a harley comment once.
He said if I had a harley I wouldn't be so slow. My reply? If you bad a bike you wouldnt be so fat. His riding buddy about dumped it laughing so hard.

Does that count?

palincss
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM

In my experience, anyone who had a triple back in the 1970s and early 1980s experienced near-constant ridicule from other riders.

thirdgenbird
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM
What about them? I thought they were mainstream.

The straight one is. Apparently using the setback version bothers a lot of people.

velofinds
08-12-2016, 01:18 PM
The straight one is. Apparently using the setback version bothers a lot of people.

What?? That's ridiculous.

thirdgenbird
08-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Try it. Someone is bound to say, "nice bike, but I would change that hell bent seatpost."

The statement doesn't make sense, but it's bound to happen. I've heard the comment (not here) at least a dozen times in 4 years.

ColonelJLloyd
08-12-2016, 01:38 PM
I've received a good deal of flack/loaded questions/upturned noses at my tires (always 32mm or bigger). ALL from people who have no experience on a tire wider than 25mm on a road bike and many who ride Gatorskins so. . . . grain of salt and all that.

Fishbike
08-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Fact that I have a few. . . .okay several. . . . okay a buttload. . . . of bikes.

54ny77
08-12-2016, 04:34 PM
That's very funny. :banana:

I had some slob on a harley comment once.
He said if I had a harley I wouldn't be so slow. My reply? If you bad a bike you wouldnt be so fat. His riding buddy about dumped it laughing so hard.

Does that count?

Macadamia
08-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Only on the internet :)

Crackerkorean
08-13-2016, 09:50 PM
I have been away from a local group ride for a couple of years since I was working away from home during the week. My second week back to the group ride I decided to join the C group (15-17 18ish, and its pretty flat) since I blew up in the B paced group the first week. I showed up on my $10 yardsale Raleigh touring bike, full mountain bike kit (with camelbak), and a 27lb toddler on the front. I could almost hear the stares and thoughts of the B and A paced guys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/crackerkorean/Bikes/natty_on_bike_zpsg4btuvnx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/crackerkorean/media/Bikes/natty_on_bike_zpsg4btuvnx.jpg.html)

91Bear
08-14-2016, 12:33 AM
At which point he replied that it was controlled by a fat old guy and if you want to slag someone off for the kit they ride...

Wouldn't that be "the kilt they ride," in your case? :)

b021c
08-14-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm in Raleigh and have a hard time deciding between all of the awesome people and groups to ride with - none of which you describe. Hit me up JFowler and let's get you sorted with your like minded riders.