PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Frame Vs. Car - Is it still safe to ride?

duncanknudsen
08-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Hey Everyone. I recently got hit by a car on my bike while biking in Oakland. I hit his car at about 25 mph after he pulled in front of me without signaling.

I love this bike, it's a 2005 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Team edition. The brake levers got a little bashed and it bent the handlebars. The fork looks unscathed and the wheels are true. What I am worried about is that there is a small dime sized dent on my top top where my bars rotated during the crash smacking the top tube. Since the frame is carbon, is it unsafe to keep riding on the frame?

What you do think?

eippo1
08-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Get it repaired. Probably shouldn't ride it as is. The dent most likely compromised the entire top tube.

AngryScientist
08-08-2016, 01:18 PM
i'd have it looked over thoroughly by a competent bike shop. first thing that jumps out at me is that the steerer tube might have issues if you bent your handlebars. who knows where else the impact stress may have effected until you do a thorough check out.

FlashUNC
08-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Get someone knowledgeable to look at it. I highly doubt the thing is safe to ride. That kind of impact could ruin any frame material.

Villgaxx
08-08-2016, 01:20 PM
With access to the Giant rep, get them to take a look at it, photograph it, and get the advice of the Giant bikes people. Somebody with experience should be able to tell you what the tubes are like where your dent it and whether it is likely to be safe-ish or not.

Blind advice over the intertube webs is not likely to be of much help.

pasadena
08-08-2016, 01:21 PM
here's a good video on how to check
https://predatorcycling.com/pages/carbon-repair

also can recommend Hern, who is a great local socal guy that works with carbon.
http://www.montenegromfg.com/carbon-repair/

eddief
08-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Happened to me on my Giant OCR C2. Insurance made me take to a Giant dealer. Giant dealer cut the damn thing in half even though it looked perfect. Ordered me a new one, got new wheel to replace front taco-ed one, all was good after that.

duncanknudsen
08-08-2016, 01:37 PM
So what it sounds like is I shouldn't ride the bike till a shop checks it out or I get into contact with Giant. Thanks for your input everyone. Be safe out there!

cmbicycles
08-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Definitely get it checked out, get a replacement estimate from the shop for insurance. You can then replace the frame or have it repaired at your discretion.

Any2wheels2ride
08-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Definitely get that checked. Frank at Spyder Carbon Repair will also X-ray the frame. Best in the biz. Can't even see where the repairs are on my friends C-60 he fixed. https://www.yelp.com/biz/spyder-composites-carbon-frame-and-wheel-repair-los-gatos-3

veloduffer
08-08-2016, 03:16 PM
I would be wary of an inspection that is visual only - it should be examined by x-ray or similar device. Last thing you want is a catastrophic frame failure at high speed.

oldpotatoe
08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Hope you are alright.
Hope you called the police
Get a new bike. Have him(his insurance) pay for it
Get a lawyer.