PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on strava

weisan
08-08-2016, 08:09 AM
So I opened an account with strava many moons ago, have no intention to really use it, so was functioning like a non active member, much like my Facebook account... Then all of sudden I got an email from strava saying that I have received a kudos from a fellow cycling buddy for the ride we did on Saturday...

First of all, how the hell did strava know I was out there on the first place? I don't remember turning it on or running anything during the ride...

Secondly, how can not let it happen again?

Thank you.

achurch
08-08-2016, 08:12 AM
If your phone knows you are on strava it is likely autouploading your rides.

Matt-H
08-08-2016, 08:32 AM
If your phone knows you are on strava it is likely autouploading your rides.

But you have to hit start, stop, and save for it to know when you are riding. Otherwise, Weisan would be a KOM killer in his car!

Yes, I believe Sitzmark has it.

sitzmark
08-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Do you have a Garmin or a GPS tracking app linked to Strava?

Go into Strava settings, turn on enhanced privacy and don't accept any invitations to have anyone follow you and then your rides will be hidden from view by others. That or figure out how your ride got tracked and turn that off.

weisan
08-08-2016, 08:51 AM
thank you mark pal. I just de-activated my account.

AngryScientist
08-08-2016, 09:03 AM
that's kind of creepy actually. that the default for some of these programs is to track you without you really having to turn anything "on". i better check all my settings too. good tip.

CampyorBust
08-08-2016, 10:45 AM
I have terrifying conspiracy theory…

One of your riding “buddies” knows one of your emails that is not linked to a Strava account. Created one for you and activated it during your ride. Was it the same email you used many moons ago or a different one? If its different someone is having a laugh, then again I think you need to confirm a new account?

sandyrs
08-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Strava itself does not automatically track your rides. As previously noted it would track walks, car rides, etc. I'm also thinking it's linked to another app that's pushing rides to Strava.

Tickdoc
08-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Kudos to you! (For shutting it down:p)

FlashUNC
08-08-2016, 10:59 AM
If you're using a Garmin, it'll auto-push as a default if you've ever used it in the past.

The other possibility, and my brain is fuzzy on this, is Strava may have recently added the ability to tag others as having participated in rides with you. Not sure if that adds to your mileage stats and other totals they track, but you could have been tagged by your buddy and subsequently gotten said kudos.

ripvanrando
08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
If you're using a Garmin, it'll auto-push as a default if you've ever used it in the past.

The other possibility, and my brain is fuzzy on this, is Strava may have recently added the ability to tag others as having participated in rides with you. Not sure if that adds to your mileage stats and other totals they track, but you could have been tagged by your buddy and subsequently gotten said kudos.

I think this. I had a similar situation. I just clicked all the privacy settings in Strava and so far, I am good. I guess I am old school. I don't want to be tracked unless I want to (Spot tracker for instance)

kevinvc
08-08-2016, 11:47 AM
I use Strava to track my rides for my own elucidation. I like to compare my performance on the same routes on different days. It's interesting that I've set some personal records on days that I didn't feel like I was particularly strong or fast. Anyways, I'm not particularly strong or fast, so I'll never be competing for a KOM or impressing anyone; I just do it for myself.

By the way, a word to the wise for anyone using Strava: change the settings to either being viewable only to your friends, or else to where it doesn't show your exact start point. You don't want to give everyone with an account access to your home address when they know you have at least one valuable bike.

pasadena
08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
You can have a totally private Strava per settings, I believe.
Also, you can lock each ride so only you can see it.

You can set a privacy zone of up to 1.5 miles or something, to avoid showing your start point (home). You can choose several specific addresses to hide.

Strava has been an easy training record for me, and also fun to meet new faces and new riding locations, especially in areas I'm visiting.

It's free and nothing cluttering up my bike.