PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic road food

roadie7
08-07-2016, 01:14 PM
As I'm a diabetic I try to use only gels from Hammer because they have the lowest least sugar and/or carbs. I was wondering what other diabetics use. I know Novo Nordisk supports a diabetic pro cycling team.

Thanks.

mtb_frk
08-07-2016, 01:24 PM
I have been using honey stinger gels of late and have been happy with them. I also carry glucose gels, and a roll of glucose tabs with me for emergencies. Im afraid of lows, so I want something that will bring my blood sugar back up fast.

DfCas
08-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I don,t understand why you want low carb or slow digesting carbs. We type 1 diabetics are not capable of an insulin response so we need not worry about a rapid rise in our blood glucose.

I use bloks because they are durable and not messy. When I go low I want all the octane I can get and when I eat I need carbs now.

bart998
08-07-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm a Type 2 diabetic and I find that I have no problem eating during rides because the activity helps regulate my blood sugar. That said, I usually stick to CLIF Bars, fig bars, bananas, etc. I prefer regular foods to gels and such. I do use an energy drink that is sugar free.

djg21
08-07-2016, 06:42 PM
When I've been on low carb diets, I eaten yams on the bike. I bake them, and then wrap sections in foil that I can eat like a gel. It's low glycemic index and worked pretty well.