PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice

dzen
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I am about to build out an Ottrott ST. I would like some advice on components.

My initial thoughts...

Campy Record (Compact crank) everyplace except
C King Headset.
Zipp Bars and Stem.
Topolino C19 Wheels... thought about Zipp alot here, worried much more maint for a 190lb rider.
Fiz saddle

I have scanned the site for info on headset/saddle and wheels.

Thanks for the feedback.

dzen
07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh and for me it was a toss up between Record and Dura Ace. The thing that led me to one or the other was the shifting feel. Record seemed more exact, plus I liked the front setup.

Funny thing is I ride shimano pedals, and probably still will.

Jason E
07-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Can't go wrong with that selection, and most importantly, YOU like it.

I say, "Pull the trigger!"

Too Tall
07-07-2006, 08:42 AM
I like it with one exception. Start with solid, light training wheels and get the "go fast" wheels at a later date. Ensure you've got something fun and long lasting now. If you ask for recommends we'll twist your arm until you pull the trigger on some handbuilts or Protons ;) Hope that helps.

zap
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
nix Topo's.

Get the '06 Campy Zonda wheelset.

72gmc
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
only comment i have mirrors too tall's: think about the wheels. everyone has opinions--personally, a set of handbuilts makes me feel good. whether it's someone on this forum or joe young or whoever, you can find competitive alternatives (weight-wise) to the factory wheels that are paris-roubaix tough and locally repairable.

Fat Robert
07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
depends

ride fast a lot? then you probably know what works for you, and you'll put that on this bike.

ride slow a lot? then why care? buy what you like the looks of, and what you like telling your pals about, if that's a concern.

davids
07-07-2006, 02:00 PM
only comment i have mirrors too tall's: think about the wheels. everyone has opinions--personally, a set of handbuilts makes me feel good. whether it's someone on this forum or joe young or whoever, you can find competitive alternatives (weight-wise) to the factory wheels that are paris-roubaix tough and locally repairable.
What he said. A set of handbuilts from an excellent builder will give you exactly what you want, and will cost much, much less than Topos, or Zipps, or Campys...

stevep
07-07-2006, 02:10 PM
set up good. ditch the topolinos.
get real wheels.

Lanternrouge
07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
If you really want carbon wheels, get some Reynolds wheels. They have a great reputation for holding up. I've hit a decent amount of junk using mine in crits and they've held up well.

catulle
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Darn, I love David and Nina's pizza page. Makes me hungry. But potato pizza...? No wonder Dr. Doofus turned into Fat Robert, atmo. :no:

Fat Robert
07-07-2006, 02:34 PM
yeah

i gotta look for a new pick of the week

but try these two fat robert recent "inventions*"

*somebody else probably has done it, but not that I bothered to look up...kitchen improvisation, yo.

pizza nicoise:

bake crust first at 500 with an oive oil and dijon mustard glaze, and chunks of tuna steak. 5 minutes.
add tomato chunks, nicoise olives, capers, chunks of boiled red potato, onion, fresh parsley, light covering of mozzarella. 5 minutes at 500 again.

you is done.

fajita pizza:

marinade strips of steak in fat robert's mix of beer, worchestershire, scallions, jalapeno, garlic, and fresh roasted and ground ancho chile. cook it in your basic iron skillet. throw the stuff on a crust (which you baked for 5 minutes at 500) with a crudload of diced green and red peppers, light topping of cheese. 5 minutes at 500.

you gotta make your dough -- fresh risen dough is the sheeyat. and since you don't have a wood-fired oven, 500 or 550 is where you have to go. cook the crust by itself (on a stone that's been heating up in the oven) and then with the crap on top.

oh yeah

buy the wheels that you like the ride of. if you're dropping that kind of change on a freaking bike, the shop should let you ride some wheels before you buy.

Kirk Pacenti
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
yeah

*somebody else probably has done it, but not that I bothered to look up...kitchen improvisation, yo.

pizza nicoise:

bake crust first at 500 with an oive oil and dijon mustard glaze, and chunks of tuna steak. 5 minutes.
add tomato chunks, nicoise olives, capers, chunks of boiled red potato, onion, fresh parsley, light covering of mozzarella. 5 minutes at 500 again.

you is done.

fajita pizza:

marinade strips of steak in fat robert's mix of beer, worchestershire, scallions, jalapeno, garlic, and fresh roasted and ground ancho chile. cook it in your basic iron skillet. throw the stuff on a crust (which you baked for 5 minutes at 500) with a crudload of diced green and red peppers, light topping of cheese. 5 minutes at 500.

you gotta make your dough -- fresh risen dough is the sheeyat. and since you don't have a wood-fired oven, 500 or 550 is where you have to go. cook the crust by itself (on a stone that's been heating up in the oven) and then with the crap on top.

BLT PIZZA:

Cook dough, cheese and bacon, (no sauce). Add thin layer of mayo, shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos. Breakfast of (fat) champions! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Fat Robert
07-07-2006, 02:54 PM
new thread?

its not cool to hijack an ottrott with a bunch of pizzas

catulle
07-07-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah

pizza nicoise:

you is done.

fajita pizza:

oh yeah

buy the wheels that you like the ride of. if you're dropping that kind of change on a freaking bike, the shop should let you ride some wheels before you buy.

Hey, dude, you making me write all that stuff down, atmo. Does it work with whole wheat dough?

Serotta PETE
07-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I am about to build out an Ottrott ST. I would like some advice on components.

My initial thoughts...

Campy Record (Compact crank) everyplace except
C King Headset.
Zipp Bars and Stem.
Topolino C19 Wheels... thought about Zipp alot here, worried much more maint for a 190lb rider.
Fiz saddle

I have scanned the site for info on headset/saddle and wheels.

Thanks for the feedback.

lools great except for the wheels...for your wieght they would seem more "special event" wheels and not every day ones. If you chose to go with them, I would suggest a pairo f OPEN 4s for everyday then.

Good luck with your new ride. THe Ottrott is a wonderful ride.

PETE

1centaur
07-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I'll support Topos for everyday wheels at that weight. They have a uniquely comfortable feeling, I've found the rims easy to change tires on, and they seem strong (I have two pairs among 10 bikes). Kevlar spokes should be used more in bike wheels, IMO.

Two comments on them though: I think they're best for evening out the stiffness of a very stiff bike - I found them too much on otherwise well damped bikes, and you might consider changing the bearings. Topolino says those are ABEC 5 bearings but my LBS gave me a blind test on ABEC 5 hybrid ceramics between my two Topo sets otherwise set up identically (down to never ridden identical tires on both) and the difference was very apparent.

BTW, I find DA to provide more precise shifting - my philosophy is that Campy needs the infinite trim it has for a reason.

dzen
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Thank you all for your comments and feedback.

I have ridden some Topos on a friends concours and I really liked them. Admittedly it was not an Ottrott and the ride may be quite different.

I will think about getting a set of hand built wheels.

saab2000
07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Campagnolo Neutron wheels.

Serpico
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Funny thing is I ride shimano pedals, and probably still will.

I don't know why this is weird, I have a similar combo--chorus group and dura ace pedals. It just works--I never even considered Campy pedals.

It seems that too many people "think with their heart" (people arguing over whether Campy or Shimano is "proper" for an italian frame, etc, silly arguments) when purchasing bike stuff. I guess it's the whole "soul" thing :rolleyes:

pragmatism is a good thing--I use whatever works/whatever I like :beer: I'm not interested in being a museum curator