PDA

View Full Version : SRAM road test - part 2

SpaceOdyssey
07-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Last night, Bay Road Bikes in Hamilton, MA hosted a "Ride With the Local Pros" night featuring a group ride and gathering with Shawn Milne (Navigators), Tim Johnson (Healthnet), and Jesse Anthony (Kodak Easyshare, etc.). Also in attendance was Lyne Besette, Tim's wife and recently retired T-Mobile rider and Canandian National Champion.

One of the highlights of the evening was the presence of the SRAM demo fleet. A bunch of Colnagos fitted with both the Force and Rival Gruppos and Zipp 404 wheels.

I got the chance to ride a Force equipped bike with Rival cranks.

I found the brakes to be superior to the D-A 9 speeds I have on both my Serottas. Much better stopping power and smooth operation.

I liked the shifting mechanism quite a bit. For me, the action was very intuitive and easily learned and used. They do shift under load and even when standing but the sound was a kin to shifting a car without using a clutch. Pretty horrific until you figure out that it is just the way it is, but at least it's shifting.

The hoods were another matter. The feel was very much like D-A 9 speed. A little bulky for my hand. Probably something I could get used to again, but I prefer the slimmer D-A 10 speed hood shape.

The stuff is nicely finished and the mechanism is really quite clever when you look at it up close.

The gruppo is something I would strongly consider if I were building a new road bike, but not something I would feel the need to run right out and replace current 10 speed stuff on an existing bike.

Stevep was there as well, lending his own brand of fun to the event. I'm not sure of his take on the SRAM stuff. I think some of his team may be using it. On the ride he was riding his own bike.