PDA

View Full Version : 29 and 27.5+ compatible fork.

adamhell
08-06-2016, 12:56 AM
hello,
i'm considering a new bike, one that fits a standard 29er tire (2.4 or so) but that also fits a B+ wheelset like a wide rim paired with a 2.8-3.0 tire.

My question is, how do I go about selecting a suspension fork? do i buy a 27.5+ specific fork that I assume fits a 29er wheel & tire, or vice versa? boost? does it even matter?

thanks for your help, as always,
adam

1X10
08-06-2016, 04:04 AM
If your new ride has the geometry to handle both 27.5+/29 then I would advise on a fork to do so, especially if your riding/local trails are to match...Fox and RS both have great options

Boost spacing seems to be more and more common and with the obsession of enduro it will only be more common and simpler to purchase, ie. wheel sets...Lots going on with MTB industry and it definitely can be a bit overwhelming...

If you can surf through MTBR forums, their is lots of good info/feedback on Plus bikes...

Others MTB owners will hopefully chime in...

IMHO

Cheers Brian

peanutgallery
08-06-2016, 06:45 AM
If you buy a boost fork both will fit provided you use a boost front hub

Not all 29ers can accept a 650 plus wheel but all 650 plus bikes can accept a 29er provided they are on boost hubs.Outside diameter is very close. Specialized is now selling boost conversation kits for their house branded wheels.

1X10
08-06-2016, 11:33 AM
If you buy a boost fork both will fit provided you use a boost front hub

Not all 29ers can accept a 650 plus wheel but all 650 plus bikes can accept a 29er provided they are on boost hubs.Outside diameter is very close. Specialized is now selling boost conversation kits for their house branded wheels.

Thats good info to know!!

Another note to keep in mind is it SEEMS that you can slam a 29+ tire in a 27.5+ boost fork...I have seen it done on the FOX. Not a lot of room to spare but enough to be rideable, pending if you are in some nasty mud...

29+ forks are listed with RS on their web but nothing available yet from my searching...

Just an FYI...

adamhell
08-06-2016, 01:03 PM
my friend at stinner frameworks was recommending a boost fork, just because it is becoming more ubiquitous. he said i can use my chris king wheelset with standard spacing with a wolftooth boost adapter. the frame will fit both B+ and regular 29er