PDA

View Full Version : time to upgrade my Legend Ti

fogrider
08-05-2016, 09:36 PM
So I've been riding my Serotta Legend Ti as my training bike for the last couple years. I love the ride, fit and feel of the bike. I keep it at work and ride it at lunch a couple of times a week. it's got some older parts on it but it all works fine. But I'm thinking it's time to try some new parts on it...I was thinking it would be great to try Di2, but that would mean drilling holes for the wires. Or should I spend the bucks and go with wireless?

dbnm
08-05-2016, 09:40 PM
I would upgrade to Dura Ace 9000. It's so cheap now and won't require mods that you might later regret.

Lanternrouge
08-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Unless you are buying from the UK, the pricing for Dura-Ace Di2 and eTap are pretty similar. I would got with eTap since it might cost you a bit for drilling the frame unless it is something you would do yourself, though the overall cost might be less to get it drilled and built it with Ultegra electronic. FWIW, I am planning on one day putting an eTap group on my Legend.

happycampyer
08-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Fwiw, Serotta never got comfortable drilling Legends for Di2. Iirc it had something to do with the extreme (triple) butting of the tubes for Legends. They were not happy with the fatigue testing performance of the drilled frames. Double-butted frames were fine, as were the carbon, ti/carbon and steel frames.

That's not to say that if you were to drill your frame that it would develop cracks or fail--Serotta had pretty stringent (if not bordering on obsessive/fanatical) test protocols. If you did have it done, it would need to be done carefully and thoughtfully. You wouldn't want to put the holes in the thinner, butted section of the tubes. A similar issue comes up when trying to add couplers to Legends in the aftermarket. I don't think Bilenky will do it, for example.

fogrider
08-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Fwiw, Serotta never got comfortable drilling Legends for Di2. Iirc it had something to do with the extreme (triple) butting of the tubes for Legends. They were not happy with the fatigue testing performance of the drilled frames. Double-butted frames were fine, as were the carbon, ti/carbon and steel frames.

That's not to say that if you were to drill your frame that it would develop cracks or fail--Serotta had pretty stringent (if not bordering on obsessive/fanatical) test protocols. If you did have it done, it would need to be done carefully and thoughtfully. You wouldn't want to put the holes in the thinner, butted section of the tubes. A similar issue comes up when trying to add couplers to Legends in the aftermarket. I don't think Bilenky will do it, for example.

ok, so da 9000 may be the way to go...I'm considering another project for etap.

pdmtong
08-06-2016, 12:03 PM

dig around there are threads discussing this- drilling not advised. if you drill your legend that will surely kill any potential resale should you part ways.
ok, so da 9000 may be the way to go...I'm considering another project for etap.
yes, eTAP or 9000/9100 or SR11 for the legend.

cmg
08-06-2016, 12:23 PM
go to carbon wheels, carbon crank, and other carbon bits.

SoCalSteve
08-06-2016, 01:58 PM
ETap, done!

No fuss, no muss, looks great and works great. Only downside I can find with it is the $$$. Don't forget to add the blip shifters. I put mine under the bars and I the middle. They work great! So much better than the remote shifters that Shimano has.

Good luck!