PDA

View Full Version : Chris Horner

rpm
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
So far, Chris Horner is showing none of the selfish bad boy reputation that he seemed to have acquired in the states. The day after his accident he was quite cheerful and seemed to be a genuinely happy domestique, working hard for his team. No complaining and no blaming anybody. Is this a change for him, or was he always like that and undeserving of his reputation?

spiderlake
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10206.0.html

Horner is doing a daily video diary on velonews.com. Good stuff.

J.Greene
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
So far, Chris Horner is showing none of the selfish bad boy reputation that he seemed to have acquired in the states. The day after his accident he was quite cheerful and seemed to be a genuinely happy domestique, working hard for his team. No complaining and no blaming anybody. Is this a change for him, or was he always like that and undeserving of his reputation?

I think Horner has gotten a bad rap here in the states. I also think he has a nose for the finish like few other US racers have ever had atmo. Very rarely is he out of the winning break at the end of a tough race.

JG

Avispa
07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
So far, Chris Horner is showing none of the selfish bad boy reputation that he seemed to have acquired in the states.....

I think, them big grand tours in the continent make anyone humble! Unless you are Lance after cancer, of course... :p

stevep
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
best interviews in the business...horner.
holds no punches.
check him out.

Big Dan
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Horner came down to Miami with Prime Alliance for a crit in downtown.
He went upfront and rode the thing like a time trail.

Boring race............. :bike:

coylifut
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM
a few years ago I was riding about 14 mph through the streets of Bend OR, his home town, and he rode up along side me and chatted me up a bit. Seemed like a good bloke. From that point on I was always a bit surprised with his interaction with the cycling media.

atmo
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
north america's best kept secret lo all these years atmo.

jwprolo
07-07-2006, 12:13 AM
It seems a number of riders get a bad rep on the domestic scene. It seems that every aggressive, successful rider is perceived as some sort of a-hole. Of all the pro's with bad reputations I have met, none have ever been jerks to me, even when I ride dumb around them.

stevep
07-07-2006, 06:12 AM
a guy like this can easily get a bad rap because sometimes ambition requires some riding that others can confuse with selfishness.
like: you chase down a break with a teammate in it... why? you know the teammate will get 5th out of 5 and that is not a good enough result.
its easy to construe that as a selfish act... but for a pro team that is sometimes what happens... especially in the us where many of the "pros" aren't all that great. many more examples can be made up like that one where on the face of it it is easy to criticize the rider but big picture less easy.
horners a good rider and not a bad guy...although i was all against him sitting up in the tour and giving up a 2nd... last year...but thats horner... his head told him..." screw it, im sitting up...and he did"

1centaur
07-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Extreme honesty can also sound like sour grapes in some circumstances. Most people put a lot of energy into coming off humble in their interviews, but he does not. He understands his talents and seems to find life amusing.

FWIW, while many athletes go on to be coaches, Horner's one of the very few cyclists who seems to really express race tactics thoughtfully and clearly - I think he could be a good DS.

Tom
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
and everybody I beat is a nice guy that knows their place. I guess Horner beats too many people to make friends!

Was it him they were interviewing the other night about 'shooting the gutter?' He was hysterical. The impish grin and the comment "I don't know, maybe we changed districts or they ran out of money but all of a sudden it wasn't paved any more!" No drama, no woe is me, just oops! Hate it when that happens! You gotta love it.

spiderlake
07-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Yep, that was Horner and I thought it was hilarious.

and everybody I beat is a nice guy that knows their place. I guess Horner beats too many people to make friends!

Was it him they were interviewing the other night about 'shooting the gutter?' He was hysterical. The impish grin and the comment "I don't know, maybe we changed districts or they ran out of money but all of a sudden it wasn't paved any more!" No drama, no woe is me, just oops! Hate it when that happens! You gotta love it.

67-59
07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Yep, that was Horner and I thought it was hilarious.

Ditto - best interview of the Tour so far.

swoop
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
did you say badboy?... horner isn't a bad boy... he's a farmboy and a strongboy. he's a very nice guy... and be brought the webocre guys up to a whole different level when he was with them.

everyone is a badboy during a crit.

bironi
07-07-2006, 09:44 PM
But, I saw Horner at a crit in Seattle in the early 90's. This was one of the first races I had ever observed. I did not know what I was looking at, or what was going on, but I did pick one rider from the field that I predicted would win. My prediction was based totally on riding style. He did not let me down.

Elefantino
07-08-2006, 05:28 AM
He certainly seems to be enjoying himself. I wonder if, when we get to the mountains, he'll enjoy himself by trying for a breakaway win or whether he'll do a Heras for Evans.

I mean the clean Heras. The 2002 Heras.

Ray
07-08-2006, 06:26 AM
I mean the clean Heras. The 2002 Heras.
What makes you think the 2002 Heras was....oh, never mind.

-Ray

swoop
07-08-2006, 08:18 AM
i was tring to find a bad hair shot from the pre staurn days but ... instead...