PDA

View Full Version : Any BB30 crank for Wifey's new Amira?

wongmic75
08-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Just bought a used Specialized Amira for the Wifey... Can't figure out what crank to get. It looks like the bearings are already pressed in... can I use any BB30 crank? As long as I have the proper spacers and wavy washer? I can't quite figure out if a special pf30 bottom bracket is in the frame? Or is this how Specialized puts in PF30 bearings? Thanks so much for any advice!

ahumblecycler
08-05-2016, 04:41 AM
The answer is dependent on the year of the bike. For a short period (i.e., a couple of years), Specialized used the OSBB format, which is essentially BB30 but with additional spacers. The switch to PF30 occurred with the Tarmac SL4 but not across the board. My suggestion is to locate the frame in Specialize's archives and determine style of BB and then you can figure out what additional spacers -or not - are needed.

The actual crank will be PF30/BB30 or you can get adapters (e.g., Praxis) to run a variety of cranks.

wongmic75
08-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wongmic75
08-05-2016, 08:01 AM
I figured out that it is OSBB two bearings pressed in with circlips
Have ordered sram red bb30 cranks bit don't understand how to figure out which washers/ spacers use! Any advice?

oldpotatoe
08-05-2016, 08:12 AM
I figured out that it is OSBB two bearings pressed in with circlips
Have ordered sram red bb30 cranks bit don't understand how to figure out which washers/ spacers use! Any advice?

Got a decent LBS/Spec-Ed dealer around you? One that hopefully won't whine when you bring in stuff not bought from them? Think I might have done the first...visit a decent LBS/Spec-Ed dealer, before ordering anything, IMHO.

cdn_bacon
08-05-2016, 08:13 AM
check here.

http://wheelsmfg.com/carbon-osbb-tech

.RJ
08-05-2016, 07:20 PM
You will need a pretty significant stack of spacers for those. OSBB is narrower than standard BB30.

kittytrail
08-06-2016, 07:30 AM
there's, IIRC, a difference in Specialized OSBB versions for crabon frames with and without aluminium inserts. the all crabon BB shell ones are 61 mm and those with alloy inserts are 68 mm, much like "proper" BB30 specs. you may check C-Bear (https://www.c-bear.com/en) BB range, it's a small belgian company doing quality, no-creaky, BBs for all those whacko pressfit "standards" the cycle industry seems so fond of nowadays. :)