PDA

View Full Version : Ot rant: I hate going to the movies these days

Tickdoc
08-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Wanted to see the new Bourne movie last weekend. No good seats in any of the four theaters close by.

I miss the days you could just walk up and buy a ticket, find your seat and enjoy the show.

Suicide squad looks good this weekend, but I'm not even going to try to find four consecutive decent seats.

And while I'm pissing, the seats are too comfy. I fall asleep with a heated/cooled recliner, especially when the movie is post-ride.

Am I the only one?

Rant over.

doomridesout
08-04-2016, 09:25 PM
No good seats is the issue? What about no good movies? Good movies coming out of Hollywood are few and far between these days.

Don't get me started on 20 minutes of commercials after the start time...

Tickdoc
08-04-2016, 09:28 PM
No good seats is the issue? What about no good movies? Good movies coming out of Hollywood are few and far between these days.

Don't get me started on 20 minutes of commercials after the start time...

What, you don't enjoy a good sequel? Look at the list of up and coming and how original the movies are.

Dead Man
08-04-2016, 09:33 PM
I stopped going to the theater like 15 years ago, bro.... the BS was too thick then. Can't even imagine what it's like now..... $26 for a Coke?

f'em

Tickdoc
08-04-2016, 09:43 PM
I stopped going to the theater like 15 years ago, bro.... the BS was too thick then. Can't even imagine what it's like now..... $26 for a Coke?

f'em
Love movies, tho. Even $hitty ones.

berserk87
08-04-2016, 09:57 PM
If you can wait until after recent openings, the seats are more available, at least in my locale. I can't wait for some of the big ones and have to deal with crowding sometimes. I am a sucker for Star Wars, Marvel Comics and (some) DC Comics movies.

What I hate the most is the 25 minutes of previews and commercials (I'm looking at you, Geico). But with the opening night flicks, if you don't get there early, you get crappy seating.

I was lukewarm on "Suicide Squad" to begin with, and I have seen some pretty bad reviews so far. I may be able to wait until the hype dies down on this one. Some of the characters don't seem that compelling to me.

I quit buying snacks and drinks years ago. Too steep of a ripoff curve for this cowpoke.

gomango
08-04-2016, 10:00 PM
We go to the movies all the time, but pay so much less.

Great theater in Minneapolis.

Fun place on the weekend.

http://www.riverviewtheater.com/

stephenmarklay
08-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Wanted to see the new Bourne movie last weekend. No good seats in any of the four theaters close by.

I miss the days you could just walk up and buy a ticket, find your seat and enjoy the show.

Suicide squad looks good this weekend, but I'm not even going to try to find four consecutive decent seats.

And while I'm pissing, the seats are too comfy. I fall asleep with a heated/cooled recliner, especially when the movie is post-ride.

Am I the only one?

Rant over.

I have not had and issue until the other week when my wife and I took the kids to the show and I sat halfway across the theater from them. I fell asleep.

dustyrider
08-04-2016, 10:11 PM
I have a big screen tv. I have surround sound. I have a lazy boy. I have popcorn. I have beer. I have a pause button. I have a clean bathroom. I have the best seat in the house. Why do I have to go to a movie theatre again?
Granted I loved them in the 80's but our tv was 13" black and white with three channels during the week sometimes 4 on the weekend if the stars aligned.

parris
08-04-2016, 10:49 PM
I have a REAl hard time with how dirty the theater and especially the seats are at our local theater. Add the self absorbed that look at their phones throughout a show and our going out for a movie has dropped way off.

And what's the deal with all the Remakes that are lousy?

Elefantino
08-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Suicide squad got this review in the local wrapper:

If you know someone you really can’t stand — not someone you dislike, not someone who rubs you the wrong way, but someone you really loathe and detest — send that person a ticket for “Suicide Squad.” It’s the kind of torment you can wish on your worst enemy without feeling too guilty: not something to inflict permanent damage, just two hours of soul-sickening confusion and sensory torment.

That does not sound good.

azrider
08-04-2016, 11:19 PM
I hate the movie experience these days because of all the teeny boppers who sit and text on their phones entire time.

Likes2ridefar
08-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Haven't been since I got a tv that is plenty big with a nicer image, and a sound system that is better.

acoffin
08-05-2016, 02:16 AM
We go to the movies all the time, but pay so much less.

Great theater in Minneapolis.

Fun place on the weekend.

http://www.riverviewtheater.com/

This is amazing, seven movies on a single screen! Looks like a place I need to visit, and a decent line-up of films to boot.

I was a GM for a local theater chain for a number of years. The theater industry is not what it used to be, and I think most would agree it is much more difficult finding quality movies. There is still good stuff to see on occasion though, and if you hunt around I bet you can find a place in your community that is not full of teenagers on their phones. If you are real lucky you might even find a theater to fall in love with. Here is my local favorite http://hi-pointetheatre.com/

For me, the real joy is being in an auditorium full of people who are all enthralled by by the same piece of beauty, comedy, or action. It's a unique and invigorating community experience, and it's what keeps bringing me back to the theater.

veloduffer
08-05-2016, 04:46 AM
Generally when we go it's a matinee and not opening weekend, so plenty of seats available.

We did go to a theatre this summer where you eat dinner while watching a movie. Food selection (sushi, Mexican, fusion Asian) and taste was good - much better than I expected. You could even order wine and beer. My teenage son thought it was a cool experience.

oldpotatoe
08-05-2016, 05:58 AM

Am I the only one?

Rant over.

Operative words..'new' and 'weekend'...I wait till it's been out for a bit, then go on like a Wednesday afternoon at 2-ish..

Movies-emtertainment-wee 'escape'..if you go to movies to find some meaning in life..find a good book...IMHO...

deechee
08-05-2016, 06:02 AM
For the big movies, I only go to IMAX since you can do reserve seating. Pick your seat online and pay and just walk into the theatre 5mins before it starts. Definitely don't have time to line up for two hours before a movie.

cadence90
08-05-2016, 06:14 AM
Operative words..'new' and 'weekend'...I wait till it's been out for a bit, then go on like a Wednesday afternoon at 2-ish..

Movies-emtertainment-wee 'escape'..if you go to movies to find some meaning in life..find a good book...IMHO...
Exactly. I have not been to a movie theater in ages.

I greatly enjoy going to my public library (thank you, Mr. Carnegie) and checking out 8 books and 8 DVDs. Over two weeks or so, the enjoyment is generally very high. Heck, I can even reserve them all online before-hand, so if I don't want to peruse the shelves the whole deal is there waiting for me.

On my own time; free; stop/pause/rewind/zoom in/watch again as I please; plus the bonus of deleted scenes/commentary/etc. Good stuff.

oldfatslow
08-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Alamo Drafthouse started in Austin and has now spread to a number of markets.

They offer advanced reserved ticketing (you pick the exact seat you want).

The current reference design theater has a small pentagon shaped table between every two seats in a stadium seating type theater with good views from nearly all seats. They open the theater 30 minutes before each movie and show a variety of stuff related to your show (could be movies or tv clips with same actors, it could be crazy old stuff related to what you are about to see, whatever).

While you watch the pre-show you can order from a variety of craft beers or a full bar as well as a pretty good menu of pub food. All of which is brought to you in your seat so you don't have to get up. If you want something during the movie, you write it down on a slip of paper and place it as a flag in front of your table. Your server picks it up and brings it to you (no missing the movie).

Popcorn is reasonably priced and bottomless as are all soft drinks.

I won't go anywhere else for movies.

Alamo is now being imitated in some markets but they are never duplicated. They love the movie going experience and are dedicated to innovating around it to make sure you WANT to go to their theaters.

Check them out if you can.

And here's what they say about cell phones (featuring the beloved former Texas Governor Ann Richards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqLWTQCeHM

And here's how one customer responded to the cell phone policy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lumEZ5OHwqk

joep2517
08-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Can't even imagine what it's like now..... $26 for a Coke?

But you get a free refill. :D

Going to the movies isn't what it used to be. AMC has this theatre concept - Fork and Screen. It's pricey but you have reserved seats. In Orlando the Fork and Screen theatres are smaller. You have four seats per section - so no climbing over anyone if you have leave. And you can order food and drinks (including beer and wine). It's a night out thing. I do this for the big releases.

OtayBW
08-05-2016, 08:30 AM
I remember going to see 'Lincoln' several years ago with the gf. Only could get first row seats. That was the most ridiculous prolonged contortion event I can ever remember. I should have left. Had do see the chiro for a month after that....

They really have a lot of nerve charging money for that.:mad:

Shortsocks
08-05-2016, 11:20 AM
My wife and I exclusively go here:

http://www.galaxydriveintheatre.com/

We LOVE the drive in locally. Its a 35 min drive from us, and We get 2 movies for 7 bucks.
Family owned, Clean and they have 7 screens. What we LOVE about it though, is the prices on the snacks is still very reasonable. 3 bucks or Nachos (melted cheese from the 80's not a microwavealbe container), 2 bucks for Popcorn (you pour your own butter), corndogs, hotdogs, funnel cake....

We just put the top down on the Miata, and watch movies. Love it. Its just a happy place, everyones pretty much happy...harking back to more civilized time. We always come back relaxed. No more Seats, sticky floors, irritating people, and worse come to worse....we can always look up at the STARS! Love it.

bobswire
08-05-2016, 11:40 AM
My brother and I are going to see Bourne (after two week run) next Mon. or Tue. early matinee (usually between 9:30-10:00) before the teeny boppers wake up and costs us $7.00 a seat (seniors).

My brother has the 55" screen, surround sound etc but it still does not compare to modern movie theaters,especially action movies that pull you right into the action. :hello:

christian
08-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Also, if you'd kindly decamp from my lawn!

Is this what passes for music these days?

LOL. Grumps gonna grump.

acoffin
08-05-2016, 12:01 PM
3 bucks or Nachos (melted cheese from the 80's not a microwavealbe container), 2 bucks for Popcorn (you pour your own butter), corndogs, hotdogs, funnel cake....

I would be leery of that cheese. What decade is the funnel cake from? :banana:

little.man
08-05-2016, 12:19 PM
If it is playing in your area, I recommend you go see Gleason. https://gleasonmovie.com/

Why? It will make you laugh more than some of the comedies now playing, cry more than most tearjerkers ever will and maybe leave you more thankful about your life/health in general.

No actors, just real people. One of the rawest movies you will ever see.

Another reason - after football Steve took up cycling. He was a regular on the local group ride and even did a local stage race. I expect he would still be riding today if able.

He started a video blog to leave to his son and the movie grew from there. This one is for Rivers.

F150
08-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I have a big screen tv. I have surround sound. I have a lazy boy. I have popcorn. I have beer. I have a pause button. I have a clean bathroom. I have the best seat in the house. Why do I have to go to a movie theatre again?
Granted I loved them in the 80's but our tv was 13" black and white with three channels during the week sometimes 4 on the weekend if the stars aligned.

Forgot to mention your feet don't stick to the floor.

Likes2ridefar
08-05-2016, 12:51 PM
My brother and I are going to see Bourne (after two week run) next Mon. or Tue. early matinee (usually between 9:30-10:00) before the teeny boppers wake up and costs us $7.00 a seat (seniors).

My brother has the 55" screen, surround sound etc but it still does not compare to modern movie theaters,especially action movies that pull you right into the action. :hello:

If it doesn't compare then you need a bigger screen and better speakers, or I should just say there are ways to make it compare. I realize it can get very expensive and generally requires a lot of effort...but it's worth it!

A high end home system blows away any theater I've been in.

SpokeValley
08-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Haven't been since I got a tv that is plenty big with a nicer image, and a sound system that is better.

And the streaming rentals are much less expensive. Love it.:beer:

Matthew
08-05-2016, 02:22 PM
My wife and I are lucky here I guess. Rarely does a movie sell out here. Two nice complexes in the immediate area we can choose from too. Clean, quiet, and not too horrible with pricing. We do however usually wait until at least the 2nd. week for blockbuster type shows before we try to see them. And we don't go to the late shows either, where you are more likely to encounter the younger crowd doing their best to ruin the show for everyone else. The concession prices are stupid though.

Seramount
08-05-2016, 02:48 PM
last film I saw at a theater was 'American Hustle'...which was released in 2013.

the movie-going experience was sketchy even then and now has become unbearable.

as mentioned previously...dirty venues, ridiculous ticket prices, cell phone addicts, talkers, unsupervised children, and the deal-killer is you still have to watch COMMERCIALS. eff that...

most movies that I like don't need to be seen on the big screen...I tend to prefer plot- and dialogue-driven stories, not mega-CGI bore-fests...

so, I just pick something off Netflix, prepare food and beverages of my choosing, and watch at home...no hassles with parking, other patrons, and can watch any time I like.

pdmtong
08-05-2016, 04:01 PM
http://www.cinepolisusa.com/cinepolis-experience.aspx
This is a socal thing bu it is unbelievable how the experience changes
LUXURY — Our luxury auditoriums offer fully-reclining, over-sized leather seats with in-theater waiter service and a complete gourmet menu with full bar, elegant lobby spaces and cutting edge sound and projection technology.

locally we have reserved seats if you can stand D-box. Personally I find it annoying.
http://www.cinemark.com/d-box-theatres.aspx

don't want to wait? go weeknights late

ptourkin
08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
LUXURY — Our luxury auditoriums offer fully-reclining, over-sized leather seats with in-theater waiter service and a complete gourmet menu with full bar, elegant lobby spaces and cutting edge sound and projection technology.

locally we have reserved seats if you can stand D-box. Personally I find it annoying.

Cinepolis is pretty good. They originally came from Tijuana I believe. Other theaters here in San Diego have had to follow suit. We even have an AMC that has gone lux.

Tickdoc
08-05-2016, 05:36 PM

I think is is a big part of the problem. Big recliners and lux service mean less seats available and higher ticket prices.

I miss finding my own seat at the back and sneaking in little bottles of brut.

Renting a movie on pay per view tonight so I can enjoy from home.

Hawker
08-05-2016, 08:46 PM
I hate the movie experience these days because of all the teeny boppers who sit and text on their phones entire time.

Yep, and old people (I am one) who whisper to each other and aren't aware of hard loud they are talking and rattling their popcorn!

fogrider
08-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Am I the only one?

Rant over.
so it was opening weekend and you're complaining that you couldn't get a good seat...wait let me find the violin...

Tickdoc
08-05-2016, 10:29 PM
so it was opening weekend and you're complaining that you couldn't get a good seat...wait let me find the violin...

I know it's silly. But now there are hardly any seats! When it was first come first serve you just fought for the best seat you could get, unless the movie was sold out, and then you were SOL. I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that all of the theaters are turning into this model, at least around here.

Maybe I am getting old and just turning into a curmudgeon.

Dagnabbit!

FlashUNC
08-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Reading this thread, this comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3_HHZFi0As

fogrider
08-06-2016, 12:09 AM
I know it's silly. But now there are hardly any seats! When it was first come first serve you just fought for the best seat you could get, unless the movie was sold out, and then you were SOL. I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that all of the theaters are turning into this model, at least around here.

Maybe I am getting old and just turning into a curmudgeon.

Dagnabbit!

so the system is actually more fair now, first come, first processed. there are always winners that get the best seats, its just that you feel that you think you have a better chance to snatch it from someone else and you will come out on top.

acoffin
08-07-2016, 11:48 PM
so the system is actually more fair now, first come, first processed. there are always winners that get the best seats, its just that you feel that you think you have a better chance to snatch it from someone else and you will come out on top.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of fairness. With the traditional model you needed to be the first one in line at the theater to get the first seat of choice. With the new model you need to be the first one purchasing tickets to get the same. As long as everyone follows the same rules I do not see one as being more fair than the other.

However, one thing that is not fair with the traditional system is when one or two people get in early to save seats for their five friends who don't arrive until after the movie has started. In that regard the reserved seating system has an edge in fairness.

Otherwise it is a wash. You pay a lot extra for the reserved seating in big comfy chairs and don't have to get to the theater an hour early to get your preferred seat. Time and comfort is worth something after all. I prefer the tradition style of movie theater, probably for nostalgic reasons, but also because I appreciate good value per dollar. I do not think either system is inherently better (or more fair) than the other.

KF9YR
08-08-2016, 01:24 AM
We have one of the luxe AMC theaters near our house. I won't go to another theater anymore. We buy and pick our seats from an app (won't go unless we get middle of a decent row midway in the theater). The seats are leather recliners with vibrating transducers so you can feel the explosions.

With reserved seats we show up right at showtime. The prices didn't change when they remodeled but they may just be getting us hooked on the convenience.

The popcorn isn't very good anymore. I'm not sure if it's the butter substitute or a different cooking method but we don't bother with it since it's awful.

RowanB
08-08-2016, 02:35 AM
The advertising drives me nuts. At what point as paying customers did we agree to have our time sold to a third party so we could be be marketed to? Imagine if you sat down at a restaurant and the waiter launched into a half hour sales pitch for something totally unrelated.