PDA

View Full Version : C2's (or other wide rims)for CX?

r_mutt
08-04-2016, 07:30 PM
What's the verdict for going with the widest possible rim for CX racing with discs?

There look to be 2 options- the H Plus Son Hydra and the HED C2 Plus Disc.

These can be run tubeless which I like as I can't afford to run tubulars and have 3 wheel sets for the conditions. I only plan on racing a few races for fun. the rest of the time I'll be riding on dirt.

Are there anything other choices?

ahumblecycler
08-05-2016, 04:43 AM
Pacenti cl25 rims laced to hubs of your choice.

r_mutt
08-05-2016, 06:41 AM
thank- kirk pm'd me. i totally forgot about his rims.

Likes2ridefar
08-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Been very happy with my Stans Grail team wheelset.

MaraudingWalrus
08-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I love my Velocity Ailerons.

And I hate Grails with a passion. Every single pair of those (probably nine or ten pairs) we've had roll through has had really frustrating problems.

Likes2ridefar
08-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Guess I got lucky. Beat the crap out of mine and tubeless setup is the easiest I've had to date.

rwerkudara
08-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Pacenti cl25 rims laced to hubs of your choice.

+1. Have these rims laced to White Industries CLD hubs. Great wheelset.

eBAUMANN
08-05-2016, 04:51 PM
dt swiss xr331

lighter than all of the above mentioned (by a lot) - and a lot of carbon rims...

and cheaper

And I hate Grails with a passion. Every single pair of those (probably nine or ten pairs) we've had roll through has had really frustrating problems.

Ive put about 800mi on a pair, no real beef other than, well, their beef...much heavier/more rim than needed. haven't used em tubeless though so maybe I'm dodging a bullet there?

rwerkudara
08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
dt swiss xr331

lighter than all of the above mentioned (by a lot) - and a lot of carbon rims...

and cheaper

Ive put about 800mi on a pair, no real beef other than, well, their beef...much heavier/more rim than needed. haven't used em tubeless though so maybe I'm dodging a bullet there?

Woah these look nice. The weight alone has my attention. Will look into these further.

sparky33
08-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Easton R90 SL
(https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/details/r90-sl-rim)
Really super nice. Ergott built me a set with these rims. 24 external, 19.5 internal, 27 tall.

....Nevermind...these are rim brake rims, not disc brake.

eBAUMANN
08-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Woah these look nice. The weight alone has my attention. Will look into these further.

I've had several sets of them, they are awesome...i also have a set for sale at the moment which nobody seems to give 2 ****s about haha, guess nobody knows about the sleeper xr331 rim...everyone too busy gushing over the trendy stuff their group ride buddies have :rolleyes:

MaraudingWalrus
08-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Every set of Grails we've seen (five sets on new bikes, including my own) and the rest on wheels I built for people.

They all developed a creaking and clicking noise. It's a piece of metal at the seam used as a heat sink in the weld process. Every single one developed it. I was told it was a tiny flat plate and it just sometimes comes loose and that it's a rare issue by Stan's. The fix is to just blindly shoot some glue in the vicinity of the seam and hope it acts as a gap filler.

The inside of the rim with the "tiny metal plate"

Little hard to blindly shoot glue on either side of the seam and hope it gets all the way around the plate, which isn't so much a plate as a three dimensional sleeve inside there.

owners of other shops I've spoken to have reported similar findings.

And the fact that the GT Grade no longer comes with Grails for the new model year, and to paraphrase "only changes for the model year are a move away from the Grails and to wider stock tires, the two changes solve GT's most common complaints with the bike"

TunaAndBikes
08-05-2016, 06:00 PM
What's the verdict for going with the widest possible rim for CX racing with discs?

There look to be 2 options- the H Plus Son Hydra and the HED C2 Plus Disc.

These can be run tubeless which I like as I can't afford to run tubulars and have 3 wheel sets for the conditions. I only plan on racing a few races for fun. the rest of the time I'll be riding on dirt.

Are there anything other choices?

Haven't had but heard good things about DT swiss r460

TunaAndBikes
08-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Easton R90 SL
(https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/details/r90-sl-rim)
Really super nice. Ergott built me a set with these rims. 24 external, 19.5 internal, 27 tall.

....Nevermind...these are rim brake rims, not disc brake.

So are the H plus sons! But the r90sl also come as a disc version

oldpotatoe
08-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Every set of Grails we've seen (five sets on new bikes, including my own) and the rest on wheels I built for people.

They all developed a creaking and clicking noise. It's a piece of metal at the seam used as a heat sink in the weld process. Every single one developed it. I was told it was a tiny flat plate and it just sometimes comes loose and that it's a rare issue by Stan's. The fix is to just blindly shoot some glue in the vicinity of the seam and hope it acts as a gap filler.

The inside of the rim with the "tiny metal plate"

Little hard to blindly shoot glue on either side of the seam and hope it gets all the way around the plate, which isn't so much a plate as a three dimensional sleeve inside there.

owners of other shops I've spoken to have reported similar findings.

And the fact that the GT Grade no longer comes with Grails for the new model year, and to paraphrase "only changes for the model year are a move away from the Grails and to wider stock tires, the two changes solve GT's most common complaints with the bike"

Geee, made by mavic?

oldpotatoe
08-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Haven't had but heard good things about DT swiss r460

Built some, nice rims. Also H+Son, nice also. Velocity rims are great as well..just built 2 sets of A23..