PDA

View Full Version : disc brake rotor question

bthornt
08-04-2016, 05:43 PM
I do have a bike with disc brakes, but I must confess I don't know very much about them except that they seem to work very well.

I have a 2016 specialized diverge expert, and I believe it has a 160mm centerlock rotor in the front and a 140mm centerlock rotor in the rear.

Since it looks like specialized is abandoning the scs hub, I purchased some specialized carbon clinchers with the scs hub before they become impossible to find. Of course, the hubs don't come with the rotors, so I need to purchase them.

Will any shimano centerlock rotor work on this bike, and more importantly, can I use a 160mm on the rear, even though it originally came with (according to what I can find out by using google) a 140mm rotor?

It seems difficult to find the 140mm rotor.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

guido
08-04-2016, 05:57 PM
You would need to add a spacer to the rear caliper to make it fit a 160mm rotor.

pdmtong
08-04-2016, 06:09 PM
You would need to add a spacer to the rear caliper to make it fit a 160mm rotor.

and make sure the edge of the rotor does not hit the frame.

foo_fighter
08-04-2016, 07:09 PM
There are lots of 140mm rotors(you can even get a 6 bolt one and then a centerlock adapter) but the best is the Shimano Freeza rotor, which you should be able to find easily. Check Ebay if all else fails.

bthornt
08-04-2016, 07:33 PM
There are lots of 140mm rotors(you can even get a 6 bolt one and then a centerlock adapter) but the best is the Shimano Freeza rotor, which you should be able to find easily. Check Ebay if all else fails.

Yeah, I found that out. Helps to do a little looking around! Is it ok to use anyone one of the rotors as long as it is centerlock and the correct size?

arthurlo
08-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Yes, all centerlock rotors that are the same size will work.

Just note that some rotors may be slightly thicker than others (new vs. old, etc), so you may have to respread the brake pistons to accommodate the difference.