PDA

View Full Version : Crank copmparison

Serotta PETE
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Excluding weight differences, does anyone have any personal experience with ZIPP 300 crank and BB? How do they compare to CAMPY RECORD or DURA ACE?

Anyone have "inside info" on when new CAMPY RECORD cranks will be available and most likely cost?

Thanks

Serotta_James
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I've been using the Zipp crankset on my Legend now for a few months and like them quite a bit. They're certainly light, that's for sure. And the ride quality isn't noticably different from the Dura Ace cranks that I have been using. The Dura Ace cranks are far easier to install and maintain from what I have experienced, though. I question the ISIS design simply because I find the outboard bearing system so much more user-friendly, with very few drawbacks.
I do not have enough time spent using Campy cranksets to compare accurately...

Avispa
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Pete,

Do you have access to RIDE Magazine, from Australia? They had a great crankset comparison article.

My trusted LBS has told me they will get Record 2007 by October 1st. They are normally pretty good with dates. No prices from Campy USA, however, but they say that the new crankset is actually going to be cheaper than the current crankset/bb price.

Serotta PETE
07-06-2006, 02:38 PM
thanks Avispa and James. Appreciate the input. I have a bike coming in and am trying to decide on cranks. I would like the 07 campy but the ZIPP look nice also.

PETE

Smiley
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a bike coming in :banana:

Pray tell what bike will that be ............ :)

we luv U Pete

Sandy
07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I have a bike coming in :banana:

Pray tell what bike will that be ............ :)

we luv U Pete

Yes we do. Not a nicer gentleman on the planet! Smiley too!

Sandy

catulle
07-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Excluding weight differences, does anyone have any personal experience with ZIPP 300 crank and BB? How do they compare to CAMPY RECORD or DURA ACE?

Anyone have "inside info" on when new CAMPY RECORD cranks will be available and most likely cost?

Thanks

I was told by the head of a very well known shop that they would likely have the new Campy crankset ready for delivery by September, atmo. Price, I don't know. However, I understand that the new bb will weigh 100grs less than the current cf stuff.

catulle
07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Pete,
My trusted LBS has told me they will get Record 2007 by October 1st. They are normally pretty good with dates. No prices from Campy USA, however, but they say that the new crankset is actually going to be cheaper than the current crankset/bb price.

Hmmm, I've already seen Record cf gruppos being sold with significant discounts, I wonder if that means anything in terms of the price for the new stuff.

Kirk Pacenti
07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Hmmm, I've already seen Record cf gruppos being sold with significant discounts, I wonder if that means anything in terms of the price for the new stuff.

nah. it's just "out with the old, in with the new". No one wants to get stuck with obsolete (?) 2006 stuff once the '07 stuff hits the shop floors.