PDA

View Full Version : Referrals for Newfoundland

RABikes2
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I know this is a long shot, but does anybody live (or know somebody who bikes) in the Corner Brook, Newfoundland vicinity? A good friend, Bob, (and his wife Stacia), are traveling there in a few weeks for Bob to compete in the World Duathlon Championships. Bob is in the 70+ age group and has qualified (and gone) to the World Championships for many years. This time, however, traveling to Newfoundland is proving to be extremely expensive to get his bike there. :crap: At first, FedEx was quoting prices of $550(+/-) to get the bike there and $645(+/-) to get it back home (can't remember the exact change.) These figures were determined by FedEx stating the bike case would be "oversized and overweight." Bob is now looking at a cardboard box bike case which will put it in a lower price category because then it wouldn't be considered "oversized and overweight". Even with a cardboard box bike case, they are still looking at a cost, for the bike round-trip, in the $500 price range. :no:

Just wondering if anybody could refer a bike shop, bike club, or individuals that bike there? We googled, "Newfoundland bike shops," but so far, what came up wasn't geographically close to where this race is being held.

My suggestion to him was if he could find a bike shop there (or close by), buy a new bike (he's on a 56" Trek), ride it for a few days, race, then sell the bike for a few hundred less than what he paid and he'd still make out better than sending his own. :D

Any advice or suggestions I could pass along to them? Thanks in advance.

RA

Kevan
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
are the race organizers any help with these details?

RABikes2
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
are the race organizers any help with these details?
I didn't ask directly, but it doesn't appear that they are. I'll be talking to Bob this afternoon.
RA

xlbs
07-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Tnt Bicycles
(709) 634-6799
8 Maple Valley Rd
Corner Brook, NF A2H 1G8, Canada

For those who don't know, Newfoundland is just about the oldest settlement in North America, and Corner Brook is one of the most remote places in Newfoundland to boot...travel is very expensive, but the people are some of the nicest folks in the whole wide world.

I've been to Newfoundland twice, and each time it took me a week to get over my stomach cramps, from laughter!!

Hope your friend enjoys the trip.

xlbs
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
http://www.tntbicycles.com/main.html

Roy E. Munson
07-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Corner Brook is one of the most remote places in Newfoundland to boot...

While a long ways away from the capital city, Corner brook is actually one of the least isolated places in Newfoundland.

pdonk
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Try Bicycle Newfoundland, it is the provincial association and Leon (the President) is a pretty good guy. If he rides a stock 56 he may even be able to borrow someone's bike.

http://www.bnl.nf.ca/

Here is a list of shops

http://www.bnl.nf.ca/links.asp?id=4

If he likes beer, tell him to have a ten penny.

RABikes2
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I have forwarded this post (and the great links) onto Bob and Stacia. Talked with them this afternoon and it sounds like TriFed is helping now with information to get bikes there. Still a little costly, but he'll have his own bike to race on :) . They were very appreciative for the bike shop recommendations and the great information you contributed.

They'll be staying for a small vacation after the race, so I'll let you know how Bob did when they return!

Thank you ;) .

RA

RABikes2
07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
An e-mail from Bob and Stacia...
Thanks again! :)
RA
Ritaann: Thanks again for all your efforts in Bob's behalf. We really appreciate it. I wrote down the names of the bike shops and will take them with us. I even wrote down the name of the beer!!!! You can be sure we will try it.
Please thank your friends again.
Stacia