PDA

View Full Version : OT: Audible.com

scrooge
07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Anyone use this service? I'm somewhat addicted to "This American Life" and have to go through Audible, but am wondering if there are any other perks or if its generally worthwhile. Also trying to figure out the membership deal--what it involves, entitles me too etc...

spiderlake
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Can't you just stream the MP3's from Ira's site?? The stream isn't superior quality (64k) but it is free>

http://www.thislife.org/

You can also download the complete show from iTunes but is really just the same as getting it from audible.com.

scrooge
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Can't you just stream the MP3's from Ira's site?? The stream isn't superior quality (64k) but it is free>

http://www.thislife.org/

You can also download the complete show from iTunes but is really just the same as getting it from audible.com.

I'm lacking in computer smarts (just got the ipod today). If I stream the file don't I have to listen to it on my computer? Or can I take it with me?

spiderlake
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
That's correct. The downside of being free is that you are essentially locked to your computer to listen to the stream. If you are using an iPod then I would recommend just buying the episode from the iTunes interface. The sync with iTunes and your iPod will be seamless and eliminates the need to import the file from the audible download. Hope this helps.

I'm lacking in computer smarts (just got the ipod today). If I stream the file don't I have to listen to it on my computer? Or can I take it with me?

sc53
07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I joined Audible because I fell for the free iPod offer. I pay something a month (less than $20) and get 2 free books per month. I've downloaded a bunch of stuff, enough to see me through old age, at high quality bitrate and really enjoy what I've heard so far. I've listened at the gym and in the car so far. I'm too restless to sit around the house and listen to a book when I could be listening to music and reading.

Serpico
07-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I wasn't impressed with their book selection, fwiw