PDA

View Full Version : 0 Setback Seatpost Question (Ultimate USE / Ritchey WCS)

jwess1234
08-03-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm looking to get a 0 setback 27.2 post, which is light, not too $$, and not too fussy. Right now I have a Cannondale C2 carbon that I think has 15mm. Right now I've narrowed down to:

Ultimate USE EVO UD Carbon (prob get around $150)
--http://www.ultimateuse.com/road/seatpost/evo-ud-carbon

WCS CARBON 1-BOLT - 0MM OFFSET (seeing this closer to $200)
--http://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-carbon-1-bolt-0mm-matte-carbon-seatpost

Only other thoughts are: (1) it needs to be able to put a DI2 battery inside; and (2) I may eventually be switching to a carbon rail saddle.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

OtayBW
08-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Thompson, Syntac P6 (close to 0°), Easton EC90 and EA70 0° models come to mind.

AngryScientist
08-03-2016, 12:24 PM
for 0 setback posts, thomson is really the first and last answer to the question.

i hate the look of their setback post, but if you need a straight jobber, get the thomson.

MaraudingWalrus
08-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Woodman posts are also great. Extremely light, pretty cheap. Lots of colors.

Haven't killed any of mine yet, and I am an idiot.

eric01
08-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Thomson masterpiece. Cheaper than both options you listed and in the same weight neighborhood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Climb01742
08-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Just don't put a Thomson post in a metal frame if you ever hope to get it out someday.

pdmtong
08-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I have a ritchey superlogic. no issues. you pay for the carbon. as with all side clamp heads the default that fits 7x7 rails will not work with a carbon 7x9 rail so you will need a new head.

single bolt has no slip issues on our smoother roads.

I use a thomson on my cx since I have taken some hits on course that caused the saddle to tilt using a single bolt - not fun mid-race.

light - cheap - (strong). good luck since you can only choose two.

Cicli
08-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Just don't put a Thomson post in a metal frame if you ever hope to get it out someday.

Thats strange. I have used Thomson posts forever and never had an issue. Maybe its all the maintenance I do. Like taking it out and greasing it once and a while.

soulspinner
08-03-2016, 03:09 PM

anti seize......

Climb01742
08-03-2016, 03:22 PM
anti seize......

Even then...

I've had two Thomson's seize up on me. I'll take some of the blame on #1. Rode it all winter in every kind of crap weather in a steel frame. But with #2, I_thought_I'd learned from my mistakes but another Thomson seized in a Ti frame even with grease applied liberally. No other brand of post has ever seized on me even when rode equally hard and put up wet. YMMV.

cadence90
08-03-2016, 03:46 PM
anti seize......

For a Thomson in a metal frame, grease is better. In a carbon frame, anti-seize.

Anyway, another recommendation for a Thomson Elite or Masterpiece + the 7x10mm accessory clamp kit if a carbon-railed saddle is definitely a future purchase.

macaroon
08-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Cannondale C1. A bit like a Thomson, but a bit tidier and I'd bet lighter aswell. I had the 15mm setback model and rated it.

http://bspbikes.com/product/cannondale-c1-seatpost-225009-1.htm

Cicli
08-03-2016, 04:49 PM
For a Thomson in a metal frame, grease is better. In a carbon frame, anti-seize.

Anyway, another recommendation for a Thomson Elite or Masterpiece + the 7x10mm accessory clamp kit if a carbon-railed saddle is definitely a future purchase.

Thomsons dont clamp in such a way that requires a special clamp for oval rails.

Dead Man
08-03-2016, 05:01 PM
I have used Thomson posts in Ti frames for a few years now.. Haven't had any crazy trouble getting them out, but the last combo- silver post- fought me and was pretty corroded when it did come out. I think Ti and aluminum don't play well together. Gonna stick with Ti posts and stems from now on.

cadence90
08-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Thomsons dont clamp in such a way that requires a special clamp for oval rails.
If I were spending the money for a Thomson post and a carbon-railed saddle I would definitely pay the $25 for the Thomson oval clamp.

Cicli
08-03-2016, 05:25 PM
If I were spending the money for a Thomson post and a carbon-railed saddle I would definitely pay the $25 for the Thomson oval clamp.

The special clapm is not for the rail shape though. The oval rails change the clamp spacing and that spacing makes the hardware too short depending on the tilt you need. The oval clamps change the angles of the t bolts allowing you to get the angle range back. If needed. Depends on the rail angle and seat tube angle.

cadence90
08-03-2016, 05:40 PM
The special clapm is not for the rail shape though. The oval rails change the clamp spacing and that spacing makes the hardware too short depending on the tilt you need. The oval clamps change the angles of the t bolts allowing you to get the angle range back. If needed. Depends on the rail angle and seat tube angle.

I'm sorry; I don't understand.

If carbon rails are typically 7x10mm oval, and Thomson make a special clamp that is 7x10mm oval, then the aux clamp certainly does appear to be designed specifically for the (oval) rail shape.

I completely understand your rail angle/sta points, but I still think that the oval clamp would be a prudent purchase for an oval carbon-railed saddle, regardless of rail angle/sta. Mating clamp and rail shape is better than not, imo. ENVE/Lynskey actually provide 2 different clamps with their posts, which is nice.

Cicli
08-03-2016, 05:43 PM
You are correct. Both of those posts clamp from the sides and absolutely require the special ears for the oval rails.

cadence90
08-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Well, you are also correct, in that a top-clamping system like Thomson/tune/etc. doesn't necessarily require the oval clamp, since the 7mm round part of the clamp sits on/under the 7mm round top/bottom of the oval saddle rail.

But for the adjustment reasons you described above, the oval clamp on oval rails just seems easier/more secure to me.

kingpin75s
08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
+1 for Thomson in Titanium for my experience. YMMV as noted. Masterpiece with 10 years in Ti frame with Phil Wood Grease or Anti-Sieze. No issues. Pulled maybe 1x/year.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2016, 06:04 AM
Thats strange. I have used Thomson posts forever and never had an issue. Maybe its all the maintenance I do. Like taking it out and greasing it once and a while.

Of course..:)

chasing120
08-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Just as a general PSA, don't get an ENVE post. The design is ridiculous. Completely overcomplicated.

Bob Ross
08-04-2016, 09:55 AM
for 0 setback posts, thomson is really the first and last answer to the question.

Agreed...conditionally. I don't know if anyone makes a non-setback seatpost with a less fussy/more intuitive saddle angle adjustment system than the Thomson's 2-bolt arrangement, but if they do they'll take top honors. If you rarely (or never) tweak your position once it's dialed in, the Thomson is a no-brainer, but if you fiddle a lot you may find that angle adjustment system exasperating.

i hate the look of their setback post

+1
But y'know what looks even worse? A Thomson setback post installed backwards!
Yep, saw it on a ride last weekend. :::smh:::

cadence90
08-04-2016, 04:15 PM
+1
But y'know what looks even worse? A Thomson setback post installed backwards!
Yep, saw it on a ride last weekend. :::smh:::

Don't tri riders do that?
But, yes, frontwards or backwards the Thomson setback is really inelegant.