PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge vs. Polar

KKevin
07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
I realize that both are designed to do different things, but I was wondering which way to go.

My dilemma is that I do not like to see what is going on while I am riding, but I really like to look at the data afterwards. Right now its simply a stopwatch, but I would like to see mileage, etc.

I won a ciclosport hr monitor/computer a few years ago, but it required that it was placed on the handlebar mount to function as a cyclecomputer. Do the polar watches that double as computers require that? Also can you put them on your wrist or in jersey pocket and still function? Is there a limit on distance that they can be from the sensors on the fork?

For edge users, can the unit be placed in a jersey pocket and still have it fuction? Im thinking that for the 305 there might be issues with the altimeter if its there, but what about the other functions?

Ive read some of the other threads about the Garmin, found some answers but not all. Thanks for your help.

JasonF
07-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Re: Polar, check their website as it gives detailed instructions on how far the unit has to be from the sensor. If memory serves, 50 centimeters is the max so it may mean that putting it in your jersey pocket would not be practical.

onekgguy
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
My dilemma is that I do not like to see what is going on while I am riding, but I really like to look at the data afterwards. Right now its simply a stopwatch, but I would like to see mileage, etc.

Kevin, the Edge has so many different options when it comes to configuration of the display. If you wanted, you could have the display show only the time of day so you wouldn't have to see the actual data until after your ride.

Kevin

christian
07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I wear my Polar 725 on my wrist. I have never had a problem with getting it to register the bike functions, when I am cycling.

- Christian

wdlewis
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
The Garmin unit is a GPS and needs to "see" the satellites. If it is in a pocket, it won't collect satellite derived route data. It should collect heart rate and cadence data even if in a pocket.

spiderlake
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
The newer Garmin models have the SIRF antenna and works well even when in my pocket or in my house. I tried this out last winter while X-country skiing with great results. However, my old eTrex Legend will not work unless it has a pristine view of the sky.

The Garmin unit is a GPS and needs to "see" the satellites. If it is in a pocket, it won't collect satellite derived route data. It should collect heart rate and cadence data even if in a pocket.

swoop
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
it's fine in your pocket... it comes with two kinds of mounts .. you could put it anywhere on your bike too.

bostondrunk
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I've had the pleasure (not) of using a Garmin Forerunner 301 for a short period of time. It took forever to pick up its GPS signal, and half the time it just didn't. And the heart rate monitor never once worked properly. Garmin sent a replacement hr strap...no difference.

Larry D
07-06-2006, 03:31 PM
The Polar 720i will work if it is in your jersey. There is a modification to the Speed Sensor Transmitor, not mentioned in the Polar manulas, to extend the range.This makes it mountable on the chainstay for use on indoor trainers.

I have used the Garmin Edge 305 with it ijn my back pocket without any problems.

Both are very good units. The software from Polar I find to be better as it allows the user to set the graphing data limits and it also does not count your coasting into the overal cadence average, which the Garmin software does.

Having used both, they are are excel;lent devices, but I do like the maping functions and the MotionBase options that the Edge has. :banana:

woolly
07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
The newer Garmin models have the SIRF antenna and works well even when in my pocket or in my house. I tried this out last winter while X-country skiing with great results. However, my old eTrex Legend will not work unless it has a pristine view of the sky.

Plus, if you have the cadence sensor it also has a rear-wheel pickup that the unit uses when satellite signals are lost. Totally wireless, self-calibrating. I likee.

vaxn8r
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I've had a Garmin for a few months. It definitely works in a pocket.

I got the HR monitor component today. I've never used a HR monitor before. Way cool. Tons of data. Worked perfectly. Now I just beed to figure out what it all means.

BD, maybe you ought to change your handle to "TinMan" :)

onekgguy
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
I got the HR monitor component today. I've never used a HR monitor before. Way cool. Tons of data. Worked perfectly. Now I just beed to figure out what it all means.

One thing I've noticed with the HRM with the Garmin is that I need to use a gel for the sensor to give me an accurate reading. Without the gel I tend to get a lot of HR spikes which skew the data.

Kevin

vaxn8r
07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
One thing I've noticed with the HRM with the Garmin is that I need to use a gel for the sensor to give me an accurate reading. Without the gel I tend to get a lot of HR spikes which skew the data.

Kevin
I heard that could be the case but I used mine dry and it worked perfectly. But then I sweat like a pig...