PDA

View Full Version : FD Adjustment

tuxbailey
08-01-2016, 11:19 PM
I have a question on FD adjustment, specifically, can the trim be adjusted?

I recently put a new to me 3x9 group (Ultegra 6500 52-42-30, 12-27) on my commuter. The group shifts well but I can't get the adjustment right for the middle ring.

- When I am in the big ring, I can shift the first 8 cogs without any chain rub. The largest cog in the cassette will rub but big-big is not viable so no harm there.

- When I am in the smallest ring, no rubbing from the largest to the middle cog, then it start to rub but using trim will resolve the rubbing issue, even in small-small.

- When I am in the middle ring, no rubbing from largest to the middle (5th cog,) then it rubs from 6th to the smallest cog. The problem is there is no trimming with the middle ring. I push the lever and it moves but won't stay. Push harder and it shifts to the big ring.

I have played with the limit screws but this set up appears to be the best one. If I move the upper screw too much, it won't shift to the big ring...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

cachagua
08-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Perhaps you've already considered it, but -- a non-indexing bar-end shifter for the front? Maybe, for symmetry's sake, a 9-speed bar-end on the other side?

Put 'em on retroshift mounts, if you prefer?

Or maybe someone here will offer a workaround, a hack, a kluge... but you'll still be left with front indexing.

oldpotatoe
08-02-2016, 07:01 AM
I have a question on FD adjustment, specifically, can the trim be adjusted?

I recently put a new to me 3x9 group (Ultegra 6500 52-42-30, 12-27) on my commuter. The group shifts well but I can't get the adjustment right for the middle ring.

- When I am in the big ring, I can shift the first 8 cogs without any chain rub. The largest cog in the cassette will rub but big-big is not viable so no harm there.

- When I am in the smallest ring, no rubbing from the largest to the middle cog, then it start to rub but using trim will resolve the rubbing issue, even in small-small.

- When I am in the middle ring, no rubbing from largest to the middle (5th cog,) then it rubs from 6th to the smallest cog. The problem is there is no trimming with the middle ring. I push the lever and it moves but won't stay. Push harder and it shifts to the big ring.

I have played with the limit screws but this set up appears to be the best one. If I move the upper screw too much, it won't shift to the big ring...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Try flushing the lever. There 'should' be trim in the middle ring. 2 clicks after going to middle ring from big, then one more to small. The trim on the middle is most easily seen when coming from big to middle, not from middle to big as the first shift or click when in the small won't bring chain to middle ring.

tuxbailey
08-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Try flushing the lever. There 'should' be trim in the middle ring. 2 clicks after going to middle ring from big, then one more to small. The trim on the middle is most easily seen when coming from big to middle, not from middle to big as the first shift or click when in the small won't bring chain to middle ring.

I will give this a try. Thanks.