PDA

View Full Version : Ski Boots for wide feet????

learlove
07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a wide foot. 10.5 3E or 4E depending on the size make (wear size 45 in the SIDI Mega for my road shoe).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for wide ski boots? Just looking for something for general all day mountain skiing. I hung up my competition skis when I left college, comfort is my goal now.

Thanks

David Kirk
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Strolz custom boots kick big wide arse.

Dave

Bud
07-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Are you looking for alpine or tele? If you're a freeheeler, then go with Garmont. I love mine and have slightly wider feet.

Don't know about alpine, though. Find a custom boot fitter (like "Larry the Bootfitter" in Boulder).

Bittersweet
07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Strolz is often the solution if your foot is very wide.

Pedro72
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Nordica tends to make wide boots. My Salomons are also fairly wide. You will want to stay away from Lange.... :no:

djg
07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe tecnica? I'd look for a good boot fitter. Someone can figure out where to start and then make modifications to the liner, and even the shell if need be. I'd really ask around locally--fitting expertise is more easily claimed than delivered.

Bittersweet
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
The bootfitter is the key. Find a very reputable shop with quite a few brands and if you feel like it isn't going well be prepared to leave and start over. Boot shell generalization is possible, such as Langes run narrow, but that isn't always accurate. Strolz are well known for providing wide boots when many others fail, but again you'll need to try them. Daleboot is another custom option for wide feet. The goal is to minimize shell adjustment so fitting should be done first with no liner to see if the boot is even a possibility.

Go to your chosen shop fairly soon to describe your situation and begin the process before it gets too late in the fall. This will increase your chances of getting the shell you need before they sell out across the US and can't be ordered from the dealer. If the shop tries to instantly sell you what they have on the floor it is probably a sign that want to move product and not address your needs.

I also recommend calling the shop first and scheduling an appointment with "the girl/guy" and not on the weekends. This will guarantee that you get their undivided attention and not the kid working the weekends. Also try hard not to do this on the weekends near ski season as it is too busy a time to focus on one pair of boots even for the best fitter. Sort of like buying your dream custom bike from Belmont Wheelworks on a sunny Saturday in May. Pay extra to have custom footbeds made to address things like arch support and equal foot pressure (canting), etc.

tch
07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
...good advice. You might want to start your search for good bootfitters and information by going to www.techsupportforskiers.com or www.bootfitters.com for a list of "certified" shops. It's worth it to get it right; the boots are the single most important link in skiing.

72gmc
07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
back in the day (15 years ago) i was a boot fitter and the tecnica front-entry boot was a great boot, period, but also good for wide feet. i support the idea of calling a good fitter and starting with their recommendations.

mwos
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Also check the forum on http://www.epicski.com

Lots of good gear and skiing info.

Kathi

sfscott
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I HIGHLY recommend SureFoot. They have locations at a number of resorts around the country.

They start with a custom insole made using the Amfit 3D NC griding technology and then recommend boots based on ability, use and foot volume.

Their footbeds are key in that they put your knees, ankles and femurs in a neutral position. My feet never hurt and my skiing has improved.

I do not work for nor have an interest in these guys. Just great service.
www.surefoot.com (http://)

Pedro72
07-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I HIGHLY recommend SureFoot. They have locations at a number of resorts around the country.

They start with a custom insole made using the Amfit 3D NC griding technology and then recommend boots based on ability, use and foot volume.

Their footbeds are key in that they put your knees, ankles and femurs in a neutral position. My feet never hurt and my skiing has improved.

I do not work for nor have an interest in these guys. Just great service.
www.surefoot.com (http://)

I had a bad experience with Surefoot. I bought boots with those foam-injected liners in them. Somehow, they managed to set up the liners on the wrong feet. When i finally realized they had made a mistake I brought them back to the shop and was given a full refund. I had heard good things, and I'm sure they are capable of doing a good job, but I was not overly impressed.

marcus
07-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a wide foot, too, and wear Sidi 43 Mega. I found the Nordica to be fairly wide, but, for a performance fit, that is, not too long, had to blow out the shell. The problem is that the modern plastics have so much memory that the shell keeps creeping back. This happens even if you heat the shell to the point of almost ruining it, which most techs won't do. So, you either have to have your own hydraulic cylinder, fittings, and heat gun, (my final solution), or find a tech that will keep blowing out the shell for you every few weeks.

Custom is looking like a better and better option.

72gmc
07-07-2006, 05:05 PM
The problem is that the modern plastics have so much memory that the shell keeps creeping back.

can you simply put the hydraulic stretcher in there and tension it when you store the boots? then the plastic doesn't have a choice but to stay where it is. like shoe stretchers in soccer cleats.

if you haven't already, you may also be able to have the footbed ground down a bit below the forefoot to get into a lower and wider part of the shell. repeated heat gun use gives me the willies that the boot will be ruined.

marcus
07-07-2006, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=72gmc]can you simply put the hydraulic stretcher in there and tension it when you store the boots? then the plastic doesn't have a choice but to stay where it is. like shoe stretchers in soccer cleats.

Why didn't I think of that. I even have two cylinders. Thanks!

Although, it would be impractical on a trip and a pita after every ski day. But, still a good idea.

Repeated heating has not been a problem. One does have to be careful though.

best regards,

Marcus