PDA

View Full Version : Foot pain

weisan
08-01-2016, 05:54 PM
boy oh boy, my body is fallin' apart! :p

Got home from riding on Sunday, took a nap, went about my business for a couple of hours and all of sudden pain on the ...er...I actually have to look this up, according to the web, it's called the bunions of my foot. This is on the right foot, on the upper right outer edge, tend towards the toes. It still hurts after a day. I rode again today. It didn't really bother me during the ride and for a while, I thought I have miraculously self-healed myself. :D Fat hope. Got back to the car, took the cycling shoes off and started walking. Yup, pain still there.

weisan
08-01-2016, 05:57 PM
I should mention: pain only when putting weight on the foot. I mean, I can feel the ache when I am flexing my foot also.

joev
08-01-2016, 09:06 PM
A thought from someone with a seminumb right foot...till it begins to get sore after a looong steady ride, say 4 hrs, and been through two sets of orthotics. Oh, that seminumb right foot is from a botched hammer toe operation.

Is your insole old?

I found a working combination with one orthotic for the right foot and a Specialized insole on the other.

My second pair of orthotics produced just the pain you mention. Some "reshaping" later and still I couldn't get that pain to go away with those insoles. My naive thought is that there needs to be the proper support under all parts of the foot for comfort given the pressures we put on the feet during pedaling. Whether custom orthotics or off-the-shelf insoles, there is a combo that does the trick. I'd say, for now, I stumbled on a combo that works. If I start to get the soreness again, I'll try and switch my set up to see if I find relief. So, I'd imagine something gave way that you don't have the same support...maybe an older/flattened insole.

Not scientific, and expensive considering what I spent on the custom orthotics...and operation. But, I am in a place I can ride and the experts didn't quite get me there.

cp43
08-01-2016, 09:21 PM
I think joev is asking the right questions.

If you have high arches, it's very likely that the stock insoles in your shoes aren't going to give you enough support. The green, high arch, specialized ones do the trick for me. Superfeet and Sole are also good options.

Chris

weisan
08-02-2016, 02:38 AM
Thank you joev and CP pals for responding.

I am not so sure if this has anything to do with my shoes or ortho-related. I had been wearing Specialized Expert BG road shoes for the last couple of years, the most comfortable pair of cycling shoes I ever owned and had zero issues.

I am suspecting maybe overuse as I had been riding pretty hard and more often over the last few months.

Will ice up, take a few days off, pop some Ibuprofen and see how it goes.

buddybikes
08-02-2016, 05:21 AM
1. Do you have good pair of mtn shoes, just try them perhaps the pressure points are different
2. Socks - I use Feetures! which have specific left and right providing help with arches.
3. Cleats - are they in good shape or are you starting to rock a bit.

guess you mechanics/pressure points need to change in your foot, not just a few days off. If you are in the MA area, call FITWERKS and let them handle you, go to Lexington - forgot name of the guy but he was incredible working an issue over the phone for me.