PDA

View Full Version : Powertap G3 vs GS??

Onno
08-01-2016, 02:08 PM
What's the difference between these two hubs? The only difference that I can see from the webpage is that the GS comes only with Ant+, while the G3 comes also with Bluetooth. But why would that produce a several hundred dollar difference? If I have an Ant+ head unit (Garmin), is there any benefit in getting the G3 hub over the GS?

carpediemracing
08-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I was curious about that also, with the GS on blowout sale for $299. I guess it was $800 before, and there are listings online for the same hub for $400 or more (not new).

This bit has some info:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/powertaps-bluetooth-trainers.html

You're right, the Bluetooth is part of it. However the GS is on sale only for the Shimano. "S" means straight pull, so no J-spokes. I'm a Campy user and there's no straightforward way for me to find a Campy freehub body for the thing.

http://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-gs-hub

chiasticon
08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
You're right, the Bluetooth is part of it. However the GS is on sale only for the Shimano. "S" means straight pull, so no J-spokes.it's also got DT Swiss 240s star ratchet internals. sounds like a good thing, in my opinion. however, I'm wondering why these are slashed so heavily... don't work so well? didn't sell well? something new in the pipeline? :confused:

Mark McM
08-01-2016, 02:40 PM
I took a look at the GS when the price dropped. After doing a little digging, here's the scoop as far as I could tell:

The only real difference between the G3 and GS hub is that the G3 works with J bend (elbow) spokes, whereas the GS hub only works with straight pull spokes.

Both the G3 and GS hub use the same freehub bodies, which are interchangeable between Shimano 8/9/10, Shimano 11, and Campagnolo 9/10/11 (all freehubs are available as separate items).

Both hubs come standard as Ant+ only. The Ant+ plus Bluetooth Smart PowerCap is available as an additional accessory (works with both G3 and GS).

My guess is that the GS version just wasn't selling (it is far more limited in its application), so they are simply clearing their shelves.

djg21
08-01-2016, 05:04 PM
What's the difference between these two hubs? The only difference that I can see from the webpage is that the GS comes only with Ant+, while the G3 comes also with Bluetooth. But why would that produce a several hundred dollar difference? If I have an Ant+ head unit (Garmin), is there any benefit in getting the G3 hub over the GS?

The GS is a straight-pull hub and comes in maximum of 24h. It is being discontinued, hence the $299 price. You can get it with Bluetooth Smart, but there is an added cost. http://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-bluetooth-smart-powercap. I have a couple of wheels built with G3s, and neither came with the Bluetooth powercap. Maybe the addition is new?

makoti
08-01-2016, 05:07 PM
You're right, the Bluetooth is part of it. However the GS is on sale only for the Shimano. "S" means straight pull, so no J-spokes. I'm a Campy user and there's no straightforward way for me to find a Campy freehub body for the thing.

http://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-gs-hub

If Mark McM is correct, swapping the freehub bodies is stupid simple. I have the G3 & changed it over from the shimano it came as to the Campy it was always meant to be.

guido
08-01-2016, 05:20 PM
I did the swap from a shimano 10 to a shimano 11 and it took less than 1 minute. Completely simple.

R3awak3n
08-01-2016, 06:03 PM
yeah, its a tool less super simple swap, no need to redish or anything.

suprise the GS is on super sale, I thought it was newer than the G3.

carpediemracing
08-01-2016, 10:10 PM
If Mark McM is correct, swapping the freehub bodies is stupid simple. I have the G3 & changed it over from the shimano it came as to the Campy it was always meant to be.

Yes I understand. I just couldn't find it in their store. Maybe I was being dumb, I haven't looked again. I'd have to buy straight spokes, freehub body, Ant+ computer (I don't have a Garmin/etc) yada yada yada, and then a friend of mine sold me his wired SRM for $150 with a few harnesses and other spares. (I have wired SRMs). So it sort of killed the whole "Ant+?" thought.

makoti
08-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Yes I understand. I just couldn't find it in their store. Maybe I was being dumb, I haven't looked again. I'd have to buy straight spokes, freehub body, Ant+ computer (I don't have a Garmin/etc) yada yada yada, and then a friend of mine sold me his wired SRM for $150 with a few harnesses and other spares. (I have wired SRMs). So it sort of killed the whole "Ant+?" thought.

http://www.powertap.com/product/freehub-body-kit
But Can't beat $150, I guess

RowanB
08-02-2016, 07:57 AM
There's a compatible novatech freehub that can be had for about half the PT price

sitzmark
08-02-2016, 12:30 PM
The GS is a straight-pull hub and comes in maximum of 24h. It is being discontinued, hence the $299 price. You can get it with Bluetooth Smart, but there is an added cost. http://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-bluetooth-smart-powercap. I have a couple of wheels built with G3s, and neither came with the Bluetooth powercap. Maybe the addition is new?

As an FYI - the $299 price includes the multi-mode (BLE/ANT+) cap. At least that's what has been reported by some who have received their hubs.

Seems odd - GS hub is out of stock almost everywhere except Powertap.com, but GS laced wheelsets are still available. Hmmm?

carpediemracing
08-02-2016, 01:28 PM
http://www.powertap.com/product/freehub-body-kit
But Can't beat $150, I guess

See, I was being dumb :)

But, yeah, $150 vs going full blown Ant+ and getting spokes, Ant+ head, whatever mount for it, etc etc. The thing is that I'd get all that stuff for Zwift, not for outside riding, so it's even less of a priority. I didn't buy the GS hub because I sort of set an Ant+ goal of winter 2017-2018, meaning over a year from now.

I did buy an Ant+ HR strap in the meantime, to record that parameter on Zwift.

I bought the SRM because how could I not? The three wiring harnesses alone were more than worth it because I have no spares, and the extra set of cranks/spider/headunit were just bonuses.

makoti
08-02-2016, 01:51 PM
See, I was being dumb :)

But, yeah, $150 vs going full blown Ant+ and getting spokes, Ant+ head, whatever mount for it, etc etc. The thing is that I'd get all that stuff for Zwift, not for outside riding, so it's even less of a priority. I didn't buy the GS hub because I sort of set an Ant+ goal of winter 2017-2018, meaning over a year from now.

I did buy an Ant+ HR strap in the meantime, to record that parameter on Zwift.

I bought the SRM because how could I not? The three wiring harnesses alone were more than worth it because I have no spares, and the extra set of cranks/spider/headunit were just bonuses.

JUST for zwift? You made the right call, for sure.

carpediemracing
08-02-2016, 04:59 PM
JUST for zwift? You made the right call, for sure.

haha yes, just for Zwift. Due to circumstances I really can't train outside. In 2015, when I could train outside, I essentially chose not to, doing 5 outdoor training rides (all "events" of some sort). Other than races I only rode indoors, pretty much always on Zwift once they supported my dumb/classic trainer.

In 2016 I've only ridden indoors except for 6 or 7 races. For the foreseeable future that's my training life, maybe for another year or two.

However the wired SRMs are not compatible with Zwift.

Related to that I get shorted some power on Zwift due to dumb/classic trainer estimated power curves, meaning if I put down 230w in real life Zwift sees it as about 200w. I don't mind it as I'm "reverse cheating" but I figure at some point it would be nice if I had an Ant+ powermeter.

An added bonus would be that my Strava data would be more real (meaning watts - right now cadence and HR are real), not guesstimates. They're wildly optimistic when I ride in real life, even solo rides. Races are funny - I think Strava guessed I did 550w for a race when I was more like 160w.