PDA

View Full Version : cyclocomputer for touring

etu
07-31-2016, 11:42 AM
with multiple bikes, i've started using garmin a couple of years ago for the ease of moving the computer around from bike to bike.
on a recent tour, i didn't bring the garmin because of the limited battery life and inability to recharge it reliable. i am planning on another five day tour in the next few weeks and was wondering what others have done. my tentative plan is to just install a regular wireless cyclocomputer.

gdw
07-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Pick up an inexpensive wired Cateye computer and leave it on your touring bike. They're accurate and much more reliable.

Geeheeb
07-31-2016, 03:16 PM
what kind of touring are we talking? my 800 lasts a full touring day where I am probably riding 10 hours, and its pretty old. It died on a 13 hour ride, but works for most everything. And any more, touring for me is not about being in the saddle for 13 hours at once.

I have a USB battery pack. I charge the GPS, my phone, headlamp, and who knows what else with it. The battery pack is heavy, but if I stop somewhere I can quickcharge it. Its cheaper than another bike computer, and very versatile for all types of travel. Just make sure you get one that quick charges on input, not just output.