PDA

View Full Version : Latest aero wheels test results

maverick_1
07-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Interesting article in the latest copy of TOUR Int magazine.

The new Bora 50 is listed among one of the best aerodynamic wheels (difference of 2.7 watts vs Zipp 404), Reynold's 58 Aero seems impervious to crosswind however it failed the heat test.

The wheel tests were also conducted on budget carbon clinchers (Asian made I suppose?) all which similarly failed the heat test.
I believe the tests were all done on carbon clinchers.

Cheers

oldpotatoe
07-31-2016, 05:35 AM
Interesting article in the latest copy of TOUR Int magazine.

The new Bora 50 is listed among one of the best aerodynamic wheels (difference of 2.7 watts vs Zipp 404), Reynold's 58 Aero seems impervious to crosswind however it failed the heat test.

The wheel tests were also conducted on budget carbon clinchers (Asian made I suppose?) all which similarly failed the heat test.
I believe the tests were all done on carbon clinchers.

Cheers

What heat test did they fail? Warped or something?

maverick_1
07-31-2016, 09:32 AM
@oldpotatoe

Below is the quote and unquote from TOUR Int.

In addition, we also tested whether the new rim designs were able to thermally cope with braking a steep descent at a system weight (rider and bike) of 100 kg - 220 lb. In this test, especially the cheap direct imports revealed deficiencies. In the course of the first fading test, which is really no big challenge, the Slowbuild Wheels rim already started to throw bubbles. This was a first in our test’s history. On the Lambda Racing, a flank broke in the final heat test.
The Reynolds wheel also suffered this fate, as did the flatter Reynolds Attack model in TOUR’s 2014 test. The new Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C survived the test without any damage, as did the new constructions from DT Swiss, represented by the shallow RC 28 Spline C Mon Chasseral and the highrimmed RRC 65 DICUT C. The mediumhigh RC 38 spline C is based on an older, less heat-resistant design and failed this test utterly. At the Eurobike trade show at the end of August, a new 38-millimeter rim based on the new designs will be presented. Campagnolo and Zipp have already shown in previous tests that they are very stable thermally. In this case, the higher price of name-brand products does result in a higher level of safety.