PDA

View Full Version : When to change tires

stephenmarklay
07-30-2016, 08:55 PM
I tend to change tires sooner than later but I know I still have miles left on the tires I remove. Today I switched out my tires with about 2k on them as they were pretty flat profile.

I wondered how much this flattening or center wear impacts handling. I also wondered if I should reduce the pressure to get less wear right down the center.

I have only really once wore a tire out and I typically just use worn tires on the trainer.

How long do you guys like to go before changing?

Cicli
07-30-2016, 08:57 PM
When they flat alot or they are losing chunks around the center.

tiretrax
07-30-2016, 09:21 PM
When the center flattens out, I tend to change them. Some I rode only 1000 miles.

Willy
07-30-2016, 10:20 PM
What do you do with the old tires?

Tony T
07-31-2016, 08:33 AM
When the wear indicators are gone:

http://217.199.187.65/conti-tyres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TWI-SideOn-187x300.png

These are Conti's.

Mark McM
07-31-2016, 09:00 AM
I replace tires when either:

The casings have become damaged (cuts or bulges, or the chafing strip peels away);

The casing threads are starting to show through the tread;

The tread is so old that it has hardened and cracked.

I've worn many tires down to the casing treads, and I've never noticed any difference in cornering with flattened or worn down treads. Most deterioration in cornering ability has come when the tread has become old and hardened and lost pliability (traction loss especially noticeable on wet roads).

CampyorBust
07-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Add pimples to the list

stephenmarklay
07-31-2016, 10:58 AM
When the wear indicators are gone:

http://217.199.187.65/conti-tyres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TWI-SideOn-187x300.png

These are Conti's.

Cool, this is what I put on yesterday.

stephenmarklay
07-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Add pimples to the list

:) I saw that thread!

stephenmarklay
07-31-2016, 10:59 AM

Well I have so on a shelf :) Some will go into trainer duty this winter.

ripvanrando
07-31-2016, 11:00 AM

I re-purpose them as sandals for homeless randonneurs.

Peter P.
07-31-2016, 11:29 AM
I ride tires until the casing begins to show through the tread area.

Below is an extreme example but yes; all that happened on ONE ride. Usually at the first sign of casing, the tire goes.

wc1934
07-31-2016, 11:29 AM
I think you will happy with them - continental makes a nice tire - I like their car tires as well.

stephenmarklay
07-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Below is an extreme example but yes; all that happened on ONE ride. Usually at the first sign of casing, the tire goes.

That tire looks pretty sad. I wouldn’t even think of riding it. Mostly for aesthetics :)

rccardr
07-31-2016, 03:18 PM
At 1000-1500 miles, when the rear profile is clearly flat, the front gos on the back and the front gets a new tire.

Matt-H
07-31-2016, 06:11 PM
At 1000-1500 miles, when the rear profile is clearly flat, the front gos on the back and the front gets a new tire.

This, because I rarely rotate the tires. Sometimes I get a bit greedy for a few more miles or just forget to check for wear, and Veloflex Corsas and Masters go south very quickly. Don't see any fibers, but the flat area gets incredibly thin and punctures very easily.

stephenmarklay
07-31-2016, 06:55 PM

That seems to be the norm around here.

I have always just put a new rear on and left the front alone. I would however never run a front I had any reservations about. I buy tires 3 at a time. that way Two rears to one front typically.

beeatnik
07-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Before they can kill you

alyosha_s
08-01-2016, 06:55 AM
hah yea, when they get cut up and you end up flatting a lot, lose their grip or wear indicators are low

SpokeValley
08-01-2016, 12:43 PM

If you haven't used these before, I think you'll like them. They're great tires.

I just replaced my Conti GP4000S2 rear tire with 2200 miles on it...it was flattened and there were too many cuts. No casing showing (except in the cuts) but I'm not a push-my-luck kind of guy. Plus the roads really have a lot of crap on them.

SpokeValley
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM

This^^

classtimesailer
08-01-2016, 10:14 PM
GP 4000s will get flattened and you can still ride them for 3000 more miles. But a skid during the last 1000 miles will finish them. Wait for the casing to show at least.

Louis
08-01-2016, 10:22 PM

This is also what I do.

stephenmarklay
08-01-2016, 10:26 PM
It sounds like I could put more miles on my tires. I will cycle through some old ones after I wear out the new Conti’s.

Louis
08-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Just to be clear, most folks don't actually wait until the cords show, and consider that to be too risky.

I've found that showing cords doesn't mean instant death, and if I have one or two spots showing I usually manage to get at least one more shortish ride in before replacing the tire. Unless for some reason I have time on my hands, in which case I go ahead and change it.

Dead Man
08-01-2016, 11:28 PM
I ride till it flats..........

being a tubular rider, that's about as far as I can ride

Although I've recently proved that false, by riding as much as 8 miles on a flat tubular. Carbon rim, too. Yea, it was pretty gay.

rccardr
08-02-2016, 02:33 AM
^^ What does that mean, exactly?

verbeke06
08-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I usually put the front on the back and a new on the front. Back gets worn down pretty quickly from weight difference and from hitting glass etc...

Tony T
08-04-2016, 04:36 PM
I used to do that (rotate), but now I just replace the rear, and when the front hits the indicators I replace front and back.

ripvanrando
08-04-2016, 04:50 PM
If I get a flat that cuts the casing, I superglue it on the road and then it is history.

If the tread is starting to get flat and small cuts and a big ride is on the horizon, gone. Slightly flat tread and just riding around I keep it until the first flat, then gone.

If better technology comes along, the old tires are gone.

If a tire lets me down more than twice, gone......new tire or new brand. Example would be Compass Bon Jon.

Fast, comfortable or cheap. Pick two.

Tires aren't that expensive compared to other sports. Say you ride 5000 miles per year. Two sets of tires. Four tires. Maybe $500 at the most or $200 at the least for top of the line rubber. I can spend that on one day of golf or one day shooting.

weisan
08-04-2016, 05:39 PM
I can spend that on one day of golf or one day shooting.

Wow, Rando pal, you must be a really good golfer or shooter. :D

Honestly, this whole question about how often I change my tire doesn't come up very often, if at all.

The way I look at it, you must anticipate your needs before they arise, if not, you are always going to scramble to make something work or pay a premium.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that tires get worn from riding, especially if you are riding a lot or in crappy roads, or both. So you gotta plan ahead, wait patiently for one of those ridiculous deals to show up every once in a while and just replenish your stock. That way you are never caught with your pants down or risking hands and limbs riding on lousy set of tires.

When I say " restock ", I don't mean go crazy and buy up the entire inventory, that will just make others hate you... Or invite bad karma coming your way with a flat every second ride... See I am merciful, I didn't say every ride... just every other ride you will get a flat if you took all the good stuff and leave nothing for others. :D

ripvanrando
08-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Wow, Rando pal, you must be a really good golfer or shooter. :D

Honestly, this whole question about how often I change my tire doesn't come up very often, if at all.

The way I look at it, you must anticipate your needs before they arise, if not, you are always going to scramble to make something work or pay a premium.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that tires get worn from riding, especially if you are riding a lot or in crappy roads, or both. So you gotta plan ahead, wait patiently for one of those ridiculous deals to show up every once in a while and just replenish your stock. That way you are never caught with your pants down or risking hands and limbs riding on lousy set of tires.

When I say " restock ", I don't mean go crazy and buy up the entire inventory, that will just make others hate you... Or invite bad karma coming your way with a flat every second ride... See I am merciful, I didn't say every ride... just every other ride you will get a flat if you took all the good stuff and leave nothing for others. :D

Plus 2

Expert

Seriously, The last thing I want to think about at 2 am at 50 mph is a ****ty tire.