PDA

View Full Version : Phishing scam or Real Paypal settlement?

William
07-30-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm guessing scam since I don't use PP.

William

sandyrs
07-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Plausible but per the language in the email you wouldn't be included among the plaintiffs since you don't use PayPal. You could always find an Oakland-based Paceliner to check at the court!

shovelhd
07-30-2016, 08:16 AM
I got one of these last week. It went into my trash pile to be deleted.

Neil
07-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Paypal use a protocol called DMARC, what that means is that if your mailbox supports said protocol (Microsoft, AOL, Yahoo! and Gmail all do) then you can't receive a Phishing email from the whatever@paypal.com domain.

So - if your mailbox is with one of the big four, check the sending domain, if it's from paypal.com then it's been sent from their infrastructure - note that it could still be fraud, as per this article (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2466291/hackers-spreading-chthonic-zeus-malware-via-legitimate-paypal-emails?utm_content=buffer0c35b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer).

Note - DMARC doesn't protect the display name, so it's now common place for attackers to send an email that has something like this in the 5322.From field:
Paypal Security <paypal@security.com>
Or a variation would be:
Security@paypal.com <paypal@security.com>

In both cases the actual sending domain is in the brackets, note it's nothing to do with Paypal. The second example is interesting from a "how the brain works" perspective as you will rearrange the second address to match the first, as that's what you are expecting to see.

fkelly
07-30-2016, 09:07 AM
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=www.accountholdsettlement.com

you can do a lookup on whoever holds the domain with the link above, or google "whois" and use the ICANN lookup. I'd say a mailing address for the registrant in Jacksonville, FL ... given that this purports to be related to Paypal, looks pretty suspicious. Delete the thing. Never click on the links in something like this because the where the link goes to can be completely different from where it says it goes.

Registrant Contact
Name: PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Organization:
Mailing Address: 12808 Gran Bay Parkway West, Jacksonville FL 32258 US
Phone: +1.5707088780
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email: rt5kv25g3zh@networksolutionsprivateregistration.co m

Anarchist
07-30-2016, 09:14 AM
PayPal have an email address spoof@paypal.com

Send them the email, they will tell you whether it is real or not.

Macadamia
07-30-2016, 07:19 PM
There is a paypal settlement going on right now, but you probably should have got an email 3 months ago or so, if you were part of it.

Cicli
07-30-2016, 07:37 PM
PayPal have an email address spoof@paypal.com

Send them the email, they will tell you whether it is real or not.

I have sent stuff to those dumbasses and they never reply

Mikej
07-30-2016, 08:45 PM
I got a Home Depot one -ignored