PDA

View Full Version : NY/NJ riders on 9W question

vav
07-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi folks, when riding north on 9W, when do you quit 9W (if you do)

Sparkill? Piermont? To continue north, which is best? Piermont/River Rd or S. Tweed Blvd?

Any ohter small roads or shortcuts?

Thanks

EDS
07-29-2016, 09:50 AM

Sparkill? Piermont? To continue north, which is best? Piermont/River Rd or S. Tweed Blvd?

Any ohter small roads or shortcuts?

Thanks

Depends on how far you are going and whether you want hills or not. Typically I will peel off before Piermont and hit the hills to the west of 9W or go for the flat of Piermont Road. Typically won't get back on 9W until north of Nyack.

vav
07-29-2016, 10:00 AM
^ Thanks. How bout the Hook Mtn/Nyack Beach bikeway? Worth the ride?

R3awak3n
07-29-2016, 10:09 AM
I try to avoid 9w as much as I can because its a terrible road.

That said I either do the palisades till the police station then back through 9w.
Do palisades get on 9w then after that little cafe restaurant take right and take gravel roads into piermont. Then back similar way through 9w.

Or continue to NyAck. Or even go all the way till bear mountain and then cross the bridge and go into cold spring. Thats a good ride, after Nyack you ride all along the water for a minute before you get back on 9w.

Nooch
07-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Get off at Piermont, either thru Tallman or the left immediately after it, take piermont rd up to nyack, head down north broadway to Old Mountan Rd N, get back on 9w by Toga.

EDS
07-29-2016, 10:19 AM

If I am looking to switch things up and get mostly flat miles (the short climb up to Rockland lake is a nice one though), then yes, worthwhile. More often then not though, if I am going north of Nyack I am looking for more hills so take other routes.

Bob Ross
07-29-2016, 10:28 AM

Haverstraw: Dive down the new "spiral jetty" and follow the river for several miles, then reconnect w/ 9W several miles south of Dunderberg. Continue up to Bear Mtn, then figure out where you're going.

ergott
07-29-2016, 10:36 AM
I avoid most of 9W.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13414725

I can't resist heading south after Alpine though. It's a great place to empty the tanks and finish strong.

johnmdesigner
07-29-2016, 10:54 AM
You can check out the ride library at nycc.org as well for areas above Piermont.

R3awak3n
07-29-2016, 12:24 PM
so far the best rides I have done in NY, closeish to the city, start in Cold Spring

BobbyJones
07-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Yes. Avoids the WORST part the ride.

alyosha_s
08-01-2016, 07:30 AM
if ur looking for hills, the best is to go onto S mountain road after making a left onto route 304 after Congers. to get onto S mountain, the best is to make that first right onto Burts road which turns into Scratchup Rd. After getting to the Orchards of Concklin, the next best thing is to make your way to Seven Lakes Drive to go to Perkins Rd up Bear Mountain. Enjoy!